Network Vision/LTE - Dakotas Market (including Fargo, Grand Forks, Alexandria MN)

mozamcrew

35 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

Sprint's spectrum holdings aren't contiguous. They own a 15x15 chunk in the PCS A block and the PCS G block. Since the G block cannot be used for CDMA they have 5x5 LTE live there, 10x10 LTE live in the A block and 5x5 worth of CDMA online in the A block. 

We also have the horror that is 3x3 band 26. It is SO slow. 

30 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

Why can't they use the G block for CDMA?

Sprint devices are only certified and tested for CDMA Band Class 1 which only included the PCS A-F blocks. This is because Sprint has CDMA live long before the PCS G Block even existed.

Running CDMA band Class 14 would have allowed devices to use CDMA in the PCS G Block but every device on the network was BC1 only when Sprint acquired the PCS G block; long story short, a smooth transition wouldn't have been possible. 

Sprint has been swapping spectrum with other carriers over the past few years to obtain the PCS C block (which is contiguous with the PCS G block). This allows Sprint to run wider single L1900 carriers

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

We also have the horror that is 3x3 band 26. It is SO slow. 

We have 3x3 L800 in Seattle too, but density is so good I almost always am on L2500. And when I do drop to L800, it's good enough for everything I do on my phone (including video).

I would guess your market either doesn't have handoff parameters set to aggressively move users up to L1900/L2500 or lacks site sufficient site density to survive with 3x3 L800. 

• Like 1

Just now, RAvirani said:

We have 3x3 L800 in Seattle too, but density is so good I almost always am on L2500. And when I do drop to L800, it's good enough for everything I do on my phone (including video).

I would guess your market either doesn't have handoff parameters set to aggressively move users up to L1900/L2500 or lacks site sufficient site density to survive with 3x3 L800. 

I would say it's site density. Just did a speed test and got 290Kbps down. I will say there are quite a few RF issues in my area though. Ex: Even though band 25 RSRP is very good my phone wants to jump on band 26. If you want the whole story lmk. It's super weird. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

Sprint devices are only certified and tested for CDMA Band Class 1 which only included the PCS A-F blocks. This is because Sprint has CDMA live long before the PCS G Block even existed.

Running CDMA band Class 14 would have allowed devices to use CDMA in the PCS G Block but every device on the network was BC1 only when Sprint acquired the PCS G block; long story short, a smooth transition wouldn't have been possible. 

Sprint has been swapping spectrum with other carriers over the past few years to obtain the PCS C block (which is contiguous with the PCS G block). This allows Sprint to run wider single L1900 carriers

So why haven't they deployed 10x10 band 25 then? I could be getting 15x10 with downlink CA. That would be the bomb!

25 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

So why haven't they deployed 10x10 band 25 then? I could be getting 15x10 with downlink CA. That would be the bomb!

I was under the impression they had. If not, I'm not entirely sure. 

26 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

I would say it's site density. Just did a speed test and got 290Kbps down. I will say there are quite a few RF issues in my area though. Ex: Even though band 25 RSRP is very good my phone wants to jump on band 26. If you want the whole story lmk. It's super weird. 

That's strange. Maybe you should reach out to a local RF engineer in that case. In Seattle I often see my phone jump from -112 L800 to -120 L1900. It makes the edge of cell experience tons better because we have 15x15 L1900. 

1 minute ago, RAvirani said:

That's strange. Maybe you should reach out to a local RF engineer in that case. In Seattle I often see my phone jump from -112 L800 to -120 L1900. It makes the edge of cell experience tons better because we have 15x15 L1900. 

I'm working with ZeroAssassin on the Sprint subreddit it's just he's been busy. My band 25 RSRP is usually between -80 and -90. Band 26 is about the same. I should also note that my phone isn't jumping on the closest tower either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brad The Beast said:

I'm working with ZeroAssassin on the Sprint subreddit it's just he's been busy. My band 25 RSRP is usually between -80 and -90. Band 26 is about the same. I should also note that my phone isn't jumping on the closest tower either. 

Yes there's definitely some sort of network-side configuration issue. Hopefully whoever you're working with will be able to resolve it. Otherwise, I would recommend emailing marci@sprint.com with as many technical details as you can, and she'll connect you with an engineer in your area. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2019 at 7:12 PM, Brad The Beast said:

Hit 51Mbps down in Grand Forks today on 10x5 band 25 (downlink CA). First time breaking 50Mbps in Grand Forks and on band 25. 

They finally did 10x10? Sweet. Edit; never mind they didn't that would be 15x5 if they did. 

Two new PCIs detected today on the northwest side of Grand Forks. PCIs 171 and 119 are new. Not sure where these new cells are. I get -85 on RSRP indoors at the intersection of 42nd and University. Anyone aware of any new installs? I'll be on the hunt for the next few days to see if I can figure out what changed.

7 minutes ago, Brad The Beast said:

Two new PCIs detected today on the northwest side of Grand Forks. PCIs 171 and 119 are new. Not sure where these new cells are. I get -85 on RSRP indoors at the intersection of 42nd and University. Anyone aware of any new installs? I'll be on the hunt for the next few days to see if I can figure out what changed.

Just picked up another one, PCI 65. It must be further east.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Brad The Beast said:

Has anyone heard anything about a C block switch with Verizon in the Grand Forks area? 

There would be pretty much no incentive for Verizon to participate in a trade there as they have 20 MHz of contiguous PCS spectrum already (F+C). 

I wouldn't count on Sprint picking up the C block there. 

10 hours ago, RAvirani said:

There would be pretty much no incentive for Verizon to participate in a trade there as they have 20 MHz of contiguous PCS spectrum already (F+C). 

I would count on Sprint picking up the C block there. 

Would or would not?

On 4/29/2019 at 11:08 AM, Brad The Beast said:

Would or would not?

Yeah wouldn't not sure why Sprint has done 10x10 A block by now. Verizon has to benefit from swaps also. That's why you should support the TMobile merger. The combined carrier could do B2 15x15+ B2 5x5+B66 5x5+B66 5x5+ B71 10x10. 

Just thought I would chime in with a report from Rapid City SD. There has been movement on the Sprint front over the past couple of months. We have approvals for 2 new sites in the city. Site 1 is a brand new tower at 611 Lindbergh Ave at the GoodWill off from Haines Ave. Site 2 is a co-location with the other 3 on the tower at 3305 S Valley Dr. Fairly certain Sprint Spectrum is broadcasting from 5 other sites in the city as well, but don't have a way to double check at this point. Lots of movement again from T-Mo so my hands are full there. If I see any more Sprint activity, I will advise.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, brockeb1 said:

Just thought I would chime in with a report from Rapid City SD. There has been movement on the Sprint front over the past couple of months. We have approvals for 2 new sites in the city. Site 1 is a brand new tower at 611 Lindbergh Ave at the GoodWill off from Haines Ave. Site 2 is a co-location with the other 3 on the tower at 3305 S Valley Dr. Fairly certain Sprint Spectrum is broadcasting from 5 other sites in the city as well, but don't have a way to double check at this point. Lots of movement again from T-Mo so my hands are full there. If I see any more Sprint activity, I will advise.  

Interesting development. Thanks for sharing!