Report: Sprint Deal Unlikely to Get Past Clearwire Shareholders

cletus

I wonder if they will try to do that. It would definitely increase their spectrum. But I don't think that Dish wants to be a strictly mobile player. Even with this compicated spectrum repurposing they will only have 40Mhz of downlink and 10Mhz of uplink. Now, if they acquire T-Mobile they will definitely have quite a bit of spectrum, albeit scattered along 4 bands (I'm not even counting Echostar's 700Mhz spectrum). I wonder if they can then swap some PCS spectrum for AWS-1 spectrum.

Yeah, either current or repurposed AWS-4 would not make long term sense for fixed wireless.  Not enough bandwidth.  But, for mobile use, if it were repurposed along with the LightSquared uplink, I think Ergen would have to give up the existing AWS-4 downlink (2180-2200 MHz).  And maybe that could be rolled into the proposed AWS-3 downlink (2155-2180 MHz) as supplemental downlink.

AJ

It sounds like Dish is going to cause more trouble getting Sprint/Softbank into a bidding war with the H block.  How much time does Dish have left in their build out requirements for the AWS spectrum they currently own?  And when do we expect the auctions for the H block?

It sounds like Dish is going to cause more trouble getting Sprint/Softbank into a bidding war with the H block.  How much time does Dish have left in their build out requirements for the AWS spectrum they currently own?  And when do we expect the auctions for the H block?

I hope the H block auction is sometime in Oct/Nov this year and I do expect Dish to try to cause havoc in bidding for the large markets like LA, NYC, Chicago, Houston, etc to drive the price up for Sprint/Softbank.  I think Sprint/Softbank needs to spend whatever it takes to get nationwide H block to bolster their overall PCS holdings and to get contiguous 10 MHz so that they can add another 5x5 LTE carrier for capacity.

I hope the H block auction is sometime in Oct/Nov this year...

There is basically no way that happens.  Even if the PCS/AWS-2 H block were to be auctioned alone, an auction taking place by the end of this year would have been announced already.  Look to 2014 -- at the earliest.

AJ

There is basically no way that happens.  Even if the PCS/AWS-2 H block were to be auctioned alone, an auction taking place by the end of this year would have been announced already.  Look to 2014 -- at the earliest.

AJ

That is fine.  Sprint already is wrapped up with this Softbank/Sprint/Clearwire mess.  I wonder what the hold up is for this auction which I assume the rules and details have been ironed out already.

It sounds like Dish is going to cause more trouble getting Sprint/Softbank into a bidding war with the H block. How much time does Dish have left in their build out requirements for the AWS spectrum they currently own? And when do we expect the auctions for the H block?

I hope the H block auction is sometime in Oct/Nov this year and I do expect Dish to try to cause havoc in bidding for the large markets like LA, NYC, Chicago, Houston, etc to drive the price up for Sprint/Softbank. I think Sprint/Softbank needs to spend whatever it takes to get nationwide H block to bolster their overall PCS holdings and to get contiguous 10 MHz so that they can add another 5x5 LTE carrier for capacity.

I don't think Sprint needs to mess with the H block now , when they have TD-lte deployed and with trip band phones coming out shortly there is no need to get in a bidding war with Dish for only 5x5mhz.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

So what happens with Sprint's lawsuit against Clear and Dish now?

For all I know it is still going on. It would not make any sense to drop it unless the Sprint/Clearwire deal closes

Yeah, either current or repurposed AWS-4 would not make long term sense for fixed wireless.  Not enough bandwidth.  But, for mobile use, if it were repurposed along with the LightSquared uplink, I think Ergen would have to give up the existing AWS-4 downlink (2180-2200 MHz).  And maybe that could be rolled into the proposed AWS-3 downlink (2155-2180 MHz) as supplemental downlink.

AJ

I don't think Charlie is giving up anything. If he can absorb T-Mobile, bid for AWS-3 and then combine his winnings with the AWS-4 downlink, now that will definitely interest him.

Edited by bigsnake49

I don't think Sprint needs to mess with the H block now , when they have TD-lte deployed and with trip band phones coming out shortly there is no need to get in a bidding war with Dish for only 5x5mhz.

I think they still do. The only reason being is that I am still not convinced about how expansive the 2.5 GHz TD-LTE rollout is going to be. I have read about creating small islands of TD-LTE but to me that is not enough.  We only know of only 5,000 TD-LTE sites that will get upgrades but I expect that number will increase once Sprint pumps funding into Clearwire when the deal closes but it certainly will not be anywhere near 38,000 nor are we sure it will cover some of the major markets that were left out of the Wimax deployment.  It makes sense to me to create TD-LTE islands in every single major market and not just those in the Wimax rollout.  The H block however will bring the same coverage like the G block at a lower cost. 

The H block will complement Sprint's G block nicely since they reside right next to each other.  The PCS band is Sprint's main band and they need to do whatever it takes to gobble up as much of that.  I think giving the 5x5 H block to Dish would be wasteful since they have yet to announce their plans to deploy their own S-band spectrum.  I hate to see spectrum wasted since its a limited resource and I would rather have Sprint sell some of their 2.5 GHz spectrum to bolster their spectrum holdings than for Sprint to give up on the H block.

The H block will complement Sprint's G block nicely since they reside right next to each other.

As I have expressed many times, I do not get the fascination with the PCS/AWS-2 H block.  If Sprint can get the spectrum for cheap, fine.  However, it seems like a lot of trouble for only 10 MHz of spectrum.  Current dual band panels may not support it, and current RRUs definitely do not.  So, is it worth supplementing or replacing panels and/or RRUs so soon after Network Vision deployment just for one 5 MHz FDD carrier?

And not only infrastructure would have to be upgraded but also devices would have to be, too, as the H block would require yet another band revision.  All in all, if Sprint were to win a large collection -- or even the entire set of H block licenses -- by next year sometime, I would not expect any usage until the 2016 timeframe.  In the meantime, band 41 TD-LTE in BRS/EBS is primed and ready to go.

AJ

• Like 2

I think they still do. The only reason being is that I am still not convinced about how expansive the 2.5 GHz TD-LTE rollout is going to be. I have read about creating small islands of TD-LTE but to me that is not enough.  We only know of only 5,000 TD-LTE sites that will get upgrades but I expect that number will increase once Sprint pumps funding into Clearwire when the deal closes but it certainly will not be anywhere near 38,000 nor are we sure it will cover some of the major markets that were left out of the Wimax deployment.  It makes sense to me to create TD-LTE islands in every single major market and not just those in the Wimax rollout.  The H block however will bring the same coverage like the G block at a lower cost. 

The H block will complement Sprint's G block nicely since they reside right next to each other.  The PCS band is Sprint's main band and they need to do whatever it takes to gobble up as much of that.  I think giving the 5x5 H block to Dish would be wasteful since they have yet to announce their plans to deploy their own S-band spectrum.  I hate to see spectrum wasted since its a limited resource and I would rather have Sprint sell some of their 2.5 GHz spectrum to bolster their spectrum holdings than for Sprint to give up on the H block.

The H block will be power limited.

One way to deploy 2.5GHz more widely is to have DAS antennas either strand or pole mounted with the actual logic residing back at the basestation sharing space with PCS and SMR cards.

I think they still do. The only reason being is that I am still not convinced about how expansive the 2.5 GHz TD-LTE rollout is going to be. I have read about creating small islands of TD-LTE but to me that is not enough. We only know of only 5,000 TD-LTE sites that will get upgrades but I expect that number will increase once Sprint pumps funding into Clearwire when the deal closes but it certainly will not be anywhere near 38,000 nor are we sure it will cover some of the major markets that were left out of the Wimax deployment. It makes sense to me to create TD-LTE islands in every single major market and not just those in the Wimax rollout. The H block however will bring the same coverage like the G block at a lower cost.

The H block will complement Sprint's G block nicely since they reside right next to each other. The PCS band is Sprint's main band and they need to do whatever it takes to gobble up as much of that. I think giving the 5x5 H block to Dish would be wasteful since they have yet to announce their plans to deploy their own S-band spectrum. I hate to see spectrum wasted since its a limited resource and I would rather have Sprint sell some of their 2.5 GHz spectrum to bolster their spectrum holdings than for Sprint to give up on the H block.

But by the time Sprint can buy the H block they can reuse a lot of there current pcs holding and just use TD late where needed.

Also keep in mind what and how softbank uses td-lte in Japan.

Sprint needs to avoid bidding wars in spectrum when every other spectrum sale in the world is pulling in lower than expected value. Time is their friend now . It's time for sprint to focus on its balance sheet for a couple years. I like h about as much as aj at this point. If dish can't get a deal with t–mobile, that's a lot of great spectrum potentially back on the market.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I read somewhere that who ever buys the H block has to pay sprint is that true .

Yes it is.  Sprint paid about 750 million to relocate the BAS service which occupied 1990-2025 MHz  that started in 2005 and completed in 2010.  So anyone who ends up using service in this spectrum range needs to reimburse Sprint for the fees it paid for this relocation service.

I wonder if Dish needs to reimburse Sprint when it uses the 2000-2020 MHz spectrum for the S-band uplink unless it was already paid by the DBSD and Terrestar.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=1583

• Like 1

I like h about as much as aj at this point.

Young Padawan learner, that would be AJ, capitalized.

;)

AJ

Yeah, PCS H should be worth about half a billion, no more.

Now I know that we have talked about this before, but what is Sprint going to do with the 900MHz spectrum that they own? Give it back to the FCC and get some kind of credit? Swap it for Solinc's ESMR spectrum?

Yeah, PCS H should be worth about half a billion, no more.

Now I know that we have talked about this before, but what is Sprint going to do with the 900MHz spectrum that they own? Give it back to the FCC and get some kind of credit? Swap it for Solinc's ESMR spectrum?

How much total 900mhz is licensed in the US?

I know sprint has like 3x3 right?

The 900Mhz SMR is 5x5 and Sprint has on average about 3x3.

• Like 1

The 900Mhz SMR is 5x5 and Sprint has on average about 3x3.

Dang I was hoping for maybe 10x10.

Who owns the rest of the 5x5?

I think we should close this topic and rename the other topic "Sprint Clearwire acquisition news" or something as the other thread has more posts and more current discussion.

• Like 2