No, it was a later market. They might have been in pre-planning at that point.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah I believe Chicago was supposed to be the other Xohm launch market.

Yes Sprint  will continue to support the 4g wimax devices until 2015, after that people who have 4g wimax devices will  get offers for 4g lte devices  or they can continue using their 4g wimax devices in 3g mode.

We shall see.  I am not sure that any special offers will come to fruition for WiMAX device users.  If Sprint stops offering any WiMAX capable devices this year -- and that is almost assured -- then any device buyers will be eligible for a subsidized upgrade anyway by the time that the WiMAX network is decommissioned.

AJ

That's funny me and a buddy were actually discussing what it would have been like had Sprint finished Xohm nationwide and could have potentially followed up with WiMax 2 as Verizon was just starting to roll out its LTE network...

The results would have been highly mixed.  WiMAX coverage collocated with all Sprint sites would have been spotty, but it would have taken much of the load off of the EV-DO network, which then would have been less congested.  But the patchy WiMAX footprint would have meant a lot of signal switching between WiMAX and EV-DO at the device level.  Plus, WiMAX would always have operated from its own baseband, would never have been integrated into the CDMA2000 baseband, meaning that smartphones would have been stuck with multiple chipsets.  In short, battery life would have continued to be poor.

AJ

• Like 1

Not to mention that Wimax has a 10 dBm weaker signal than LTE.  I am not sure if Wimax 2 would have improved on the overall signal strength than on LTE.  If you combine the fact that Wimax was deployed on 2.5 GHz and the Wimax weaker signal than LTE the coverage would still be spotty.

I know Sprint got into the LTE game later than they would have liked to but I know in the long run it is a better move than to stick with Wimax 2.

We shall see.  I am not sure that any special offers will come to fruition for WiMAX device users.  If Sprint stops offering any WiMAX capable devices this year -- and that is almost assured -- then any device buyers will be eligible for a subsidized upgrade anyway by the time that the WiMAX network is decommissioned.

AJ

Special offesr:

Sprint changes terms of service to give WiMAX customers more flexibility to switch to LTE

Read more: Sprint changes terms of service to give WiMAX customers more flexibility to switch to LTE - FierceWireless http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/sprint-changes-terms-service-give-wimax-customers-more-flexibility-switch-l/2013-06-14#ixzz2WD4JfmLc 

Subscribe at FierceWireless

• Like 1

Not to mention that Wimax has a 10 dBm weaker signal than LTE.

Define what you mean by that.  Signal strength is dependent upon a great many variables.

AJ

Not to mention that Wimax has a 10 dBm weaker signal than LTE.

Define what you mean by that. Signal strength is dependent upon a great many variables.

AJ

I think he is referring to a point I commonly make that WiMax signal faded to unusable around -82dBm RSSI, whereas LTE does around -93dBm RSSI.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1