Network vision 1.0 and 2.0 ???

i have an iphone5 but have not had the joyous experience of LTE, so when the I5 gets LTE does it show two sets of signal bars or the bars just now represent LTE not 1x, thanks

No man, I had lte on my i5 in Charlotte and it just changes the 3G symbol to LTE in box type writing. But the phone becomes laser fast!!! It is sooooo awesome!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

i have an iphone5 but have not had the joyous experience of LTE, so when the I5 gets LTE does it show two sets of signal bars or the bars just now represent LTE not 1x, thanks

Same set of bars, just shows LTE instead of 3G. iPhone shows the signal level of the "best" (if you will) signal that you have. (1x, EVDO, LTE)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368142401.956807.jpg

Here ya go man. This is what to expect.

Same set of bars, just shows LTE instead of 3G. iPhone shows the signal level of the "best" (if you will) signal that you have. (1x, EVDO, LTE)

Hey man if I private message you a pic can you give me a break down of what's on the tower and who it belongs too?

oh man! i cant wait. i know ppl will compare big reds LTE getting 30mbps but 14mbps is amazing to me and what do i even need speeds that fast for, that awesome i cant wait,

my home internet is 25 down and i dont even need that

• Like 2

oh man! i cant wait. i know ppl will compare big reds LTE getting 30mbps but 14mbps is amazing to me and what do i even need speeds that fast for, that awesome i cant wait,

my home internet is 25 down and i dont even need that

This is what a lot of people don't seem to get. They just see bigger numbers and think it's better. That doesn't necessarily mean it is more stable, more consistent, etc. It's all about e-peen size when it comes to speed tests.

The average user doesn't need much more than 1Mbps on 3G, and 5Mbps on 4G for what they expect as far as speed is concerned. These numbers are probably high even, for most users. Latency is what you actually think of when you think speed. How long it takes to load after you click a link. You can have a 30Mbps connection but a 500ms latency and your connection will feel extremely slow, because it literally is taking half a second before your click even registers anything due to that latency.

One of Network Vision's requirements is sub-100ms latency on all upgraded towers. For reference, 100ms is roughly where a person can start to detect the lag, hence why anything less than 100ms is good for gaming for instance, the lower the better. Even with a slower connection, it will feel much faster if the latency is lower.

• Like 9

This is what a lot of people don't seem to get. They just see bigger numbers and think it's better. That doesn't necessarily mean it is more stable, more consistent, etc. It's all about e-peen size when it comes to speed tests.

The average user doesn't need much more than 1Mbps on 3G, and 5Mbps on 4G for what they expect as far as speed is concerned. These numbers are probably high even, for most users. Latency is what you actually think of when you think speed. How long it takes to load after you click a link. You can have a 30Mbps connection but a 500ms latency and your connection will feel extremely slow, because it literally is taking half a second before your click even registers anything due to that latency.

One of Network Vision's requirements is sub-100ms latency on all upgraded towers. For reference, 100ms is roughly where a person can start to detect the lag, hence why anything less than 100ms is good for gaming for instance, the lower the better. Even with a slower connection, it will feel much faster if the latency is lower.

One of the best descriptions of ping ever! Good post.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

They way I explain latency to the satellite internet folks is imagine watering your garden with a 20 foot hose and a 500 foot hose. Drain the hose and turn it on. It's the same amount of flow but it takes a lot longer to get to the other end when it is turned on.

• Like 7

When it comes to requiring sub-100ms latency, how much of that time is taken up in the air between the phone and the tower? I understand it will vary depending on distance from the tower, but just assuming some longer distances for rural towers (say 3-5 miles for selfish reasons :) ) how much lower than 100ms would the backhaul latency need to be to account for travel to/from the tower? (That would seem to be the slowest part of the path to me)

When it comes to requiring sub-100ms latency, how much of that time is taken up in the air between the phone and the tower? I understand it will vary depending on distance from the tower, but just assuming some longer distances for rural towers (say 3-5 miles for selfish reasons :) ) how much lower than 100ms would the backhaul latency need to be to account for travel to/from the tower? (That would seem to be the slowest part of the path to me)

Very crudely, radio waves travel approximately 1 foot per nanosecond. Therefore, a 5-mile transit would take approximately 26,000 nanoseconds (0.026 milliseconds) each way. For all practical purposes, distance to and from the cell site has no effect on latency/ping in mobile telephony. If anyone has more precise measurements, please chip in.

• Like 2

That's the way it seems! I prefer it that way! The whole choppy move your head this way, hold your phone that way, does not work for me! Hopefully the NV 1.0 will bring me pretty stable LTE and NV 2.0 will give me my in building voice! Fingers crossed!

Patience in Charleston.

You should definitely get better in building coverage after NV. Now in terms of LTE, you may or may not get that in buildings. Due to the more fragile air link, LTE will drop at low signal levels, even on 800 mhz. On at&t for example, I've had LTE drop a couple miles away from the tower outside, with trees inbetween me and the tower and switch the HSPA+ on 1900 mhz. If it wasn't for the increase in efficiency, capacity, and speed; LTE would seem like a downgrade from older technologies.

The latency over the airlink portion has more to do with channel/sector saturation and quality of signal. Distance is not really a factor. Although distance can affect quality.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 2

I agree

One of the best descriptions of ping ever! Good post.

Ah, but that tells only half the story. What about the pong?

While I have never owned a ping pong table, I happen to be an excellent left handed player -- even though I am a strong tennis player right handed. And I have vanquished many a friend who had a table at home.

So, if you really want to know the whole ping and pong equation, you must challenge me.

;)

AJ

• Like 3

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I live where a tower is located, but I don't see a tower, but antenna looking things in four corners of the building. I cant identify what these are?

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1704-frequently-asked-questions/

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3906-how-to-spot-sprint-antennas-and-rrus-samsung/

- Legacy Sprint antenna left & NV Sprint antenna right.