Airave Owners

So I just decided to order a airave and I just wanted to know if it is about the same experience as a regular tower was. My Internet is 50 down 10 up. With average 10 ping. Will I experience poor voice quality. I read online somewhere that I has bad voice quality

So I just decided to order a airave and I just wanted to know if it is about the same experience as a regular tower was. My Internet is 50 down 10 up. With average 10 ping. Will I experience poor voice quality. I read online somewhere that I has bad voice quality

You'll loose a call if you go from outside to inside(when you switch to airave)
  • Like 1

I have the 2.5 airave with xfinity 30 mbps down internet. It does use almost 2meg down for "3g" data. Anyway when my local towers were legacy sprint it was great perfect call quality. Now all of my towers have network vision upgrades its terrible. Very choppy quality and drops calls. So I unplugged it. Which now I don't need it as I have good signal and awesome. Data speeds

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I have Airave 2.5, roadrunner cable internet 10-12mbps d/l. For the most part I notice ok voice quality...I wouldnt clarify it as crystal clear but also not bad.

I got mine for free though due to weak signal at my house, not sure what your particular circumstance is with buying an Airave but if its due to bad signal at your home call Sprint and explain this, they may send it to you free like they did for me.

It is really only needed for voice as wifi will work much better and faster. Voice only needs about 6kb a second. Very very minimal. Jitter and ping will be key. No matter how fast of a connection if you upload a lot it will suffer.

Sent from my little Note2

I have the Airave 2.0 on Roadrunner with 50 down, 10 up. It works wonderfully for voice. As Digiblur said above, data shouldn't be a problem for you since you'll most likely use your WiFi. Your guests who are also Sprint customers should see ...ok... data speeds if they camp onto your Airave.

I had slower internet on RR also, and it was still just fine. You can test your internet connection to check for any QoS issues.

http://voiptest.8x8.com/

Just use the default entries. Be sure to click the "accept risks" box and run when the java warning comes up.

I have the Airave 2.0 . . . It works wonderfully for voice. As Digiblur said above, data shouldn't be a problem for you since you'll most likely use your WiFi.

Also have Airave 2.0, first on Uverse now on Comcast. Voice quality is quite good, texts go through instantly. I have had to do a couple of power-down-power-up resets, but have been very pleased with it overall

I live in an area with much 800SMR (all but my closest tower), and have the Airave in my basement office. I get 800 frequently on the other floors, but it will not penetrate to the basement from the current towers, so the Airave is still a necessity. The tower not yet upgraded is a better line of sight, so when it is complete, I may be able to get 800 downstairs -- time will tell. The point being, don't count on the 800 upgrade to fix your connection issues. Convince Sprint to give you the Airave free.

I hate the thing, they gave it to me when there service problems but im giving it back to them. Looses calls when ever i leave the house and if the internet goes down then the whole thing belly up. Its a good concept but terrible application.

• Like 1

I hate the thing, they gave it to me when there service problems but im giving it back to them. Looses calls when ever i leave the house and if the internet goes down then the whole thing belly up. Its a good concept but terrible application.

If you dislike the fact that if your home internet connection goes down, the airave is worthless, I wouldn't say you consider it a good concept... that IS the concept. I understand the lack of handoff to the macro network sucks but that is very difficult from a technical perspective.

• Like 1

If you don't dislike the fact that if your home internet connection goes down, the airave is worthless, I wouldn't say you consider it a good concept... that IS the concept. I understand the lack of handoff to the macro network sucks but that is very difficult from a technical perspective.

Its just not what i was expecting.. Calls didn't sound any better then when i was on the network and why would i ever be on the 1 or 2 Mbps "3G" when i can get 25+ Mbps on my wifi?? I don't see the point of ever needing this.

Mine used to work like a charm. I only used it for voice, and yes, you have a hard hand-off when you arrive at or leave the house. However, for the past several months, despite some of my best efforts, and the efforts of a support staff who clearly didn't know how anything about the thing beyond reading the script, it is not working. And they are threatening to charge me for it. Kind of wish I'd never gotten it.

Mine used to work like a charm. I only used it for voice, and yes, you have a hard hand-off when you arrive at or leave the house. However, for the past several months, despite some of my best efforts, and the efforts of a support staff who clearly didn't know how anything about the thing beyond reading the script, it is not working. And they are threatening to charge me for it. Kind of wish I'd never gotten it.

I have to say mine works perfectly in-home. I've even had the signal kicked up so it reaches my garage (well outside the default range of the Airave. I've had no problem with it handing off to the macro network - but keep in mind, it was never designed to pick up a call from the macro network when you're back in range.

Granted, I have an odd configuration. All my wireless services are housed in my attic.

I have the 2.5 airave with xfinity 30 mbps down internet. It does use almost 2meg down for "3g" data. Anyway when my local towers were legacy sprint it was great perfect call quality. Now all of my towers have network vision upgrades its terrible. Very choppy quality and drops calls. So I unplugged it. Which now I don't need it as I have good signal and awesome. Data speeds

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

SAME PROBLEMS HERE! LOL

Its just not what i was expecting.. Calls didn't sound any better then when i was on the network and why would i ever be on the 1 or 2 Mbps "3G" when i can get 25+ Mbps on my wifi?? I don't see the point of ever needing this.

That's not the point of the device at all.

Sent from my little Note2

Just out of curiosity, what were you expecting?

The whole point of having an Airave is to help fill coverage gaps localized strictly within your 4 walls, so why else would you want/need one?

:wacko:

Just out of curiosity, what were you expecting?

The whole point of having an Airave is to help fill coverage gaps localized strictly within your 4 walls, so why else would you want/need one?

:wacko:

I was dropping every call when sprint was having network proplems so they gave me this thing for free for 2 years. I guess what I was expecting it to, you know, work..

Anyway it's going back go sprint, I wouldn't recommend it.

I was dropping every call when sprint was having network proplems so they gave me this thing for free for 2 years. I guess what I was expecting it to, you know, work..

Anyway it's going back go sprint, I wouldn't recommend it.

Perhaps you got a bad one. I would call and ask for another one and I would avoid the Airave 2.5 and go with an older 2.0 if you have an Android device. They tend to have a problem finding it and staying on it.

I've had one since Sprint first came out with them ~2008-- the first one was mainly just to play with since I had great Sprint service, and I figured I'd try the "unlimited" plan on it for a few months... it worked fine, but since I had great service at home I didn't really need it... As for the "unlimited plan" idea, that only stuck around for a month or two since I found I was still able to keep within my plan minutes even without it--plus with such a strong Sprint signal outside, it was constantly flipping back and fourth and didn't seem to be doing a good job hanging on to the Airave signal (and the unlimited plan only works via the Airave)

Since they had agreed to waive the $4.99 fee, I just kept it unplugged for a few years til I moved -- which happened to be an area without good Sprint service indoors... when I moved to my new place, it worked perfect on my Epic, by my Blackberry absolutely HATED it--flipping between no service and 1x and chewing through the battery, so they sent me a 2.0... The 2.0 would only connect via 1x and not EV, and the Blackberry still hated it (they couldn't figure out why it wasn't--the 2.0 is supposed to connect as EV)... so they sent me a new one which was a 2.5 and it's worked awesome.

I find that there's about a 50/50 chance it will connect to the macro network when I leave... I never get "dropped calls" when I come inside, it just sticks with the macro network and the calls get choppy (which is why I get the Airave in the first place)... it does what it says it does.

I will say since NV has been happening the Airave voice quality has gotten a bit worse, and a bit more of a delay... I can still deal with it... although about 2 weeks ago I moved to a new place yet again, about 5 miles from my old place (also with bad Sprint reception) -- I had to put in a ticket that took 5 days to resolve as the Airave kept throwing up "Error 12, switch 2308" at the new place whenever I'd try to place a call... I could receive calls and txt over it fine... but now that that's fixed, it again works as advertised...

SO, if you live in a bad Sprint area, I say by all means get one... they are awesome... Don't get one if you live in a good Sprint area and want the "unlimited plan" -- unless they've fixed something, the phone gets tripped up between the Macro network and the Airave.

N

Perhaps you got a bad one. I would call and ask for another one and I would avoid the Airave 2.5 and go with an older 2.0 if you have an Android device. They tend to have a problem finding it and staying on it.

They gave my the 2.5 version.

They gave my the 2.5 version.

Call back and ask to swap it out for a non 2.5 model. It should do the trick. You can also try placing it in a higher location and of course, make sure the GPS antenna is near a closed window. The Airave 2.5's antenna is in the top-rear of the unit. The long black GPS antenna cord should have come in the box.

I used three different versions at one point or another. The original samsung with the white antenna. The second version Samsung with the black antenna. Then the Airvana 2.0. Never used the 2.5.

Out of the three I used I found that the Samsung second version with black antenna worked the best. I still keep it around for voice just in case the regular network goes down. There's only one cell site that covers my house and when it goes down 2-4 times per year I just flip on the Airave and it works great while I'm waiting for the tower to be restored which can take anywhere from a couple of hours to about a week.

I used three different versions at one point or another. The original samsung with the white antenna. The second version Samsung with the black antenna. Then the Airvana 2.0. Never used the 2.5.

Out of the three I used I found that the Samsung second version with black antenna worked the best. I still keep it around for voice just in case the regular network goes down. There's only one cell site that covers my house and when it goes down 2-4 times per year I just flip on the Airave and it works great while I'm waiting for the tower to be restored which can take anywhere from a couple of hours to about a week.

Long time lurker!

But yeah, my experience with the 2.5 has been pretty good actually, no problems with connecting to it at my family's house where Sprint coverage is spotty due to NV.

• 4 months later...

Does the Airave also have LTE?  A few months ago I started to get LTE in my house.  I assumed it was from the Airave, but now I'm thinking that it may be picking up a weak LTE signal from the tower and the 1xRTT voice connection is through the Airave.   

Does the Airave also have LTE? A few months ago I started to get LTE in my house. I assumed it was from the Airave, but now I'm thinking that it may be picking up a weak LTE signal from the tower and the 1xRTT voice connection is through the Airave.

No, version 2.0 and 2.5 (latest) are EVDO only.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 4.

• Like 1

I have the 2.5 and never had a issue. No repeating texts or connecting. However you cannot provision a phone properly while connected to it. Have a EVO LTE, EVO 4g, and a galaxy s3 connected to it daily. If you find it not connecting to the airave a simple profile update always does the trick

Sent from my EVO

• Like 1