COUNTDOWN!!! Nextel iDEN Shutdown

Hey floks, I live on orlando,fl and I work for disney. All the employees on disney use those nextel i365is and some other use the blackberry 8350i. That would be interesting to know what will happen in that area with the iden network.

They must have gotten plenty of notice over the past 1+ year?  Did they just ignore it?

Hey floks, I live on orlando,fl and I work for disney. All the employees on disney use those nextel i365is and some other use the blackberry 8350i. That would be interesting to know what will happen in that area with the iden network.

They must have gotten plenty of notice over the past 1+ year? Did they just ignore it?

They are too busy raking in cash to care, my ass and wallet are still raw from the raping they took from my family trip there at Xmas.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

• Like 4

Are we sure that Disney World employees are actually using Nextel?  Using iDEN devices does not necessarily mean using Nextel. Reports are that all operators have spotty service inside the park.  But Disney would certainly have the wherewithal to set up its own private iDEN network.

AJ

• Like 1

Are we sure that Disney World employees are actually using Nextel?  Using iDEN devices does not necessarily mean using Nextel. Reports are that all operators have spotty service inside the park.  But Disney would certainly have the wherewithal to set up its own private iDEN network.

AJ

it was a privet system about 2 years ago would think it still is for them that is probably the best thing to do 

What spectrum would they be authorized to deploy in inside the park, for a private network?

SMR 800/900 MHz.  It would have to be in order for iDEN devices to work.

AJ

I'm not sure that Disney runs it's own network. They have been using Sprint branded phones for quite a while now. If I recall, they sold their frequencies for private networks years ago (during the "smart sourcing" changes they rolled out to the parks to save money) and Sprint/Nextel gave them a really good deal on two way radio service. I think they use IDEN for only security radios these days actually. 

I have added the final day of the Nextel iDEN Countdown Clock to EBay:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121128904561

You probably will not be able to see it until the auction starts at 9PM Central on Thursday, June 20th.  The auction ends at 9PM Central on Thursday, June 27th.  The winner of the auction gets the privilege to have their name below the iDEN Countdown for the last 24 hours before the end of the iDEN network.  Hurrah!

Bid early and bid often.  No need to wait until the very end.  Break in that new and unused credit card!  The proceeds of the auction will go to support S4GRU, maybe for a good amount of time!

Robert

• Like 8

The link does not seem to be working. It says that the listing has been removed or is no longer available.

Uh oh, the iDENites are trying to sabotage the shutdown celebration.

AJ

Question:  Will the benefits of the Nextel shutdown be immediately visible to the entire Sprint network (well, at least on the towers that are NV ready)?  I guess, to clarify, is this something that will immediately "light up" or will there be another visit to the tower necessary for some additional, physical infrastructure that isn't already present?  

Is it a magic flipping of a switch or is it a multi pronged process?  

Oh man, the switch flipper is going to be tired and sore in early July.

AJ

• Like 2

Question:  Will the benefits of the Nextel shutdown be immediately visible to the entire Sprint network (well, at least on the towers that are NV ready)?  I guess, to clarify, is this something that will immediately "light up" or will there be another visit to the tower necessary for some additional, physical infrastructure that isn't already present?  

Multi pronged progress.  First Sprint would need to turn off Nextel iDEN sites at switch centers in rapid succession to make sure the iDEN signal at 800 MHz is not being broadcasted anymore.  I am not sure how long that will take.  In terms of needing an additional visit to the towers, I am pretty sure that will be needed since they would need to install new carrier cards for CDMA and LTE and do some field testing to make sure its meeting performance requirements. 

I am not sure what the next step would be whether Sprint plans to tell its OEMs to go back to each NV cell site to install carrier cards for 800 CDMA and LTE so that it can both be accepted at once OR just go back to light up 800 CDMA for now and 800 LTE later.  I hope the former is true because I don't want Sprint wasting the inspectors time making multiple trips to the same site when 800 CDMA and LTE should be accepted at the same time.

I really want to see 800 LTE lit up by September if not sooner.

I thought 800 was ready to go just had to turn it on. Im gonna search and find that thread.

Not quite.  However, 800 equipment is being installed with the CDMA 1900 and LTE 1900 equipment at each site.  And it's believed that there will be a lot of CDMA 800 sites that will start being accepted rapidly after June 30th.  However, we are not expecting thousands of sites to go live immediately.

Robert

• Like 3

Not quite.  However, 800 equipment is being installed with the CDMA 1900 and LTE 1900 equipment at each site.  And it's believed that there will be a lot of CDMA 800 sites that will start being accepted rapidly after June 30th.  However, we are not expecting thousands of sites to go live immediately.

Robert

Robert - 

Thanks..that's precisely the sort of information I was looking for.

I have added the final day of the Nextel iDEN Countdown Clock to EBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121128904561

You probably will not be able to see it until the auction starts at 9PM Central on Thursday, June 20th. The auction ends at 9PM Central on Thursday, June 27th. The winner of the auction gets the privilege to have their name below the iDEN Countdown for the last 24 hours before the end of the iDEN network. Hurrah!

Bid early and bid often. No need to wait until the very end. Break in that new and unused credit card! The proceeds of the auction will go to support S4GRU, maybe for a good amount of time!

Robert

Listing removed?

Sent from my EVO

I have added the final day of the Nextel iDEN Countdown Clock to EBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121128904561

You probably will not be able to see it until the auction starts at 9PM Central on Thursday, June 20th. The auction ends at 9PM Central on Thursday, June 27th. The winner of the auction gets the privilege to have their name below the iDEN Countdown for the last 24 hours before the end of the iDEN network. Hurrah!

Bid early and bid often. No need to wait until the very end. Break in that new and unused credit card! The proceeds of the auction will go to support S4GRU, maybe for a good amount of time!

Robert

Listing removed?

Sent from my EVO

I fought it out with EBay last night. They said they were going to restore it last night. Looks like I may have to call them again.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I have added the final day of the Nextel iDEN Countdown Clock to EBay:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121128904561

You probably will not be able to see it until the auction starts at 9PM Central on Thursday, June 20th.  The auction ends at 9PM Central on Thursday, June 27th.  The winner of the auction gets the privilege to have their name below the iDEN Countdown for the last 24 hours before the end of the iDEN network.  Hurrah!

Bid early and bid often.  No need to wait until the very end.  Break in that new and unused credit card!  The proceeds of the auction will go to support S4GRU, maybe for a good amount of time!

Robert

EBay has been very frustrating to deal with.  They put my account on restriction and pulled the auction until I could call and verify.  I was on hold for two hours last night, finally got them to reinstate my account and my listing.  

However, as of this morning, it still had not been reinstated.  So I called back.  They gave me an hour of talking around and around, asking me to reverify all the information all over again.  I asked the service rep if they had the notes saying they were going to reinstate my account last night.  He found them.  So I asked if this was not sufficient to reinstate my account.  He said no, and now he would need to reverify all my account information and go back over what an iDEN countdown clock is.  *sigh*

I advised him that I would not go back over and do again what was already noted on my account and that I wanted to speak to a supervisor.  A supervisor came on the line and informed me my account has been closed now because I am a risk to EBay members and disconnected the call.  Nice.

EBay sucks.  I guess they know they virtually have a monopoly for online auctions.  So I guess we will have to do an auction online here at S4GRU.  Unless anyone else has any better ideas.  *sigh*

Robert

• Like 1