COUNTDOWN!!! Nextel iDEN Shutdown

Agreed. The $1.99 for the app was a no brainer. Allows you to adjust much more and also put your readings up in the notification bar.

Many thanks to mikejeep and his work.

• Like 5

You can get an app that will tell you. Other than that, no.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

What should I look for in the diagnostic screen on an iPhone?

I'm kind of surprised that more people have not jumped on board to sponsor the countdown clock. C'mon, people...it's for a worthy cause!

I'm kind of surprised that more people have not jumped on board to sponsor the countdown clock. C'mon, people...it's for a worthy cause!

Me too. It started so well, and then died off. :(

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Wow, you guys are raging anti iDENites...

AJ

• Like 4

I admit it. I'm an Anti-iDENtite! A raging Anti-iDENtite!!! They hog up all the beachfront spectrum. Yeah, I said it. It's not just a stereotype. It's true!

Robert

• Like 3

The irony regarding anti iDENism is that the stronghold for iDEN long has been and still is the South.

AJ

• Like 2

Yeah, those Southerners do not think highly of broadband. They want their frequencies to remain separate but equal.

AJ

• Like 6

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Well, I like the idea so much that I am tempted to pony up to sponsor the remainder of the countdown. However, I won't, as I do not wish to be greedy and hog all the days. 1x on 800mhz will make a huge difference for me as I usually have a very weak 1x signal at home and often roam, so I am more than willing to pick up the tab for any days that go unsponsored.

That being said... C'mon S4GRU community! The Nextel iDEN shutdown marks the end of a tumultuous chapter in Sprint history. Why not throw $5-$10 towward its end?

• Like 1

Robert, maybe quote AJ's post in your first post so that way new visitors will see that right off the bat.

If S4GRU doesn't get anymore sponsors before the 23rd I'll make sure to pitch in some more. We can't let this countdown timer go unsponsored!

• Like 1

I suppose the prevailing emotion with IDEN isn't hate, but apathy. Every once in a while I'll see someone post on HoFo with old, unupdated signatures showing frustration with Sprint's handling of IDEN. Most of the time, it's amazement that the IDEN network is still live in many locations.

Spoiler: at the close of the SoftBank buyout, Sprint's name will be Sprint Corporation. No Nextel left in the name. It's in the SoftBank/Sprint prospectus.

Robert, maybe quote AJ's post in your first post so that way new visitors will see that right off the bat.

If S4GRU doesn't get anymore sponsors before the 23rd I'll make sure to pitch in some more. We can't let this countdown timer go unsponsored!

Which AJ post?

Robert

Which AJ post?

Robert

S4GRU readers, want to see your name up in lights? Here is your chance...

The Nextel iDEN countdown clock is up on the front page of The Forums.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/index

As a fundraiser for non profit S4GRU, you can claim "naming rights" to the iDEN countdown clock for a day for a $5 donation. I have already made my claim on the first three days through the end of this workweek. Now, who will step up to the plate and meet my challenge to keep the sponsorship going?

Celebrate the shutdown of iDEN. Show your support for CDMA1X 800 and LTE 800. And, of course, see your name get recognized by thousands of other readers around the country.

Just make a $5 PayPal donation, put "iDEN countdown" in the message, and the clock is yours for a day.

AJ

• Like 1

Driving through downtown Austin today I noticed that the Nextel site at I-35 and Holly Street has been dismantled.. It was a site on an Austin Energy high voltage utility pole... Just a few cables poking out of the top of the pole and one of the array support racks remaining.. Antennas gone and the equipment shed is gone.

https://www.google.com/maps?ll=30.256696,-97.737371&spn=0.000391,0.000508&sll=30.257104,-97.736513&layer=c&cbp=13,189.17,,0,-18.37&cbll=30.256696,-97.737499&t=h&z=21&panoid=kY2BsJkZcxl-GsIQpYFCpw

• Like 2

How will the shutdown help the network.

Stop, drop, shut 'em down, open up shop.

Oh, no, that's how Ruff Ryders roll.

AJ

• Like 5

How will the shutdown help the network.

I'm assuming that question is a joke.  But if not, it was certainly covered in the thread.  Freeing up the 800 MHz spectrum.  Once 1x 800 is available, I personally will be quite happy, as I have very weak signal at home.  it's there, but weak, and this will likely be the end of that.

The other upside for sprint, this is going to save sprint money, which isn't a bad thing either.  I understand the IDen network was very expensive to maintain.  I believe they will also be reducing some of the unnecessary redundant towers.  All in all, as someone said it brings a very rough chapter to a close.

• Like 3

I can not wait til 1x 800 arrives in my area either.  When at home I constantly bounce from roaming on a site that is less that 2 miles away and native sprint signal from a site that is roughly 5 miles away.  What confuses me is that I am usually between -105 and -115 from either of them.

I never have issues with voice calls at this signal but texting can be a pain at times.  The main problem is when Im roaming it causes my phone to burn through the battery while it just lays on the coffee table. 1x 800 will hopefully eliminate my roaming.

I can not wait til 1x 800 arrives in my area either. When at home I constantly bounce from roaming on a site that is less that 2 miles away and native sprint signal from a site that is roughly 5 miles away. What confuses me is that I am usually between -105 and -115 from either of them.

I never have issues with voice calls at this signal but texting can be a pain at times. The main problem is when Im roaming it causes my phone to burn through the battery while it just lays on the coffee table. 1x 800 will hopefully eliminate my roaming.

No airave? One place I go to is a mile away from an active LTE site that is a decent sized monopole site. Roaming inside the house there. Just all depends on the RF design.

Sent from my little Note2