COUNTDOWN!!! Nextel iDEN Shutdown

S4GRU readers, want to see your name up in lights? Here is your chance...The Nextel iDEN countdown clock is up on the front page of The Forums.http://s4gru.com/index.php?/index

As a fundraiser for non profit S4GRU, you can claim "naming rights" to the iDEN countdown clock for a day for a $10 donation. I have already made my claim on the first three days through the end of this workweek. Now, who will step up to the plate and meet my challenge to keep the sponsorship going?

Celebrate the shutdown of iDEN. Show your support for CDMA1X 800 and LTE 800. And, of course, see your name get recognized by thousands of other readers around the country.Just make a $5 PayPal donation, put "iDEN countdown" in the message, and the clock is yours for a day (or more).

AJ.........................................................................................................................................................................

Countdown Clock Sponsors:

• 5/8-5/10 WiWavelength
  • 5/11-5/13 4ginnc
  • 5/14-5/16 leerage
  • 5/17-5/20 PDXmike
  • 5/21-5/24 RCM
  • 5/25-5/28 shawn_kc
  • 5/29-6/2 kvnjcby
  • 6/3-6/4 cletus
  • 6/5-6/5 thewezgrays
  • 6/6-6/7 dkoellerwx
  • 6/8-6/10 irwinshere
  • 6/11-6/12 squigey
  • 6/13-6/14 gr8nuguy
  • 6/15-6/24 mooeydj
  • 6/25-6/26 gr8nuguy
  • 6/27-6/28 Groovy
  • 6/29 - To be auctioned off to the highest bidder on E-Bay
  • Like 33

I know you've talked about this before, but I can't remember what your response was: is this going to be like a switch-flipping event, on June 30th we'll wake up to 1X 800, or...?

I know you've talked about this before, but I can't remember what your response was: is this going to be like a switch-flipping event, on June 30th we'll wake up to 1X 800, or...?

It will take some time for them to go into each site configuration remotely and shut them down. Then to fire up things on 800smr where available. I do not expect it over night but it will probably happen to rapidly within that week.

Sent from my little Note2

• Like 3

In places where the equipment is actually installed, I would imagine you'll see an uptick fairly quickly in configuration, testing, and activation. No flip-switching events going on here unfortunately.

The powering down will be nearly instantaneous on the 30th. They are just going to take them down, one switch at a time until they're all done. There is not supposed to be any live iDEN signals within 24 hours.

As for fire ups of CDMA 800 and LTE 800, they will go live one at a time when ready.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Sprint on Schedule to Shut Down iDEN Network Within 60 Days

OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (BUSINESS WIRE), May 01, 2013 - Sprint (NYSE: S) today announced that its plans to shut down the iDEN Nextel National Network remain on schedule for the end of June, as originally announced in May of last year.

The last full day of iDEN service will be June 29; shutdown begins first thing Sunday, June 30, and will continue throughout the day. iDEN devices will then no longer receive voice service – including 911 calls – or data service. Sprint will shut down switch locations in rapid succession on June 30, followed by powering down equipment and eliminating backhaul at each cell site.

Sprint announced plans on May 29, 2012 to cease service on the iDEN Nextel National Network as early as June 30, 2013, as part of its Network Vision plan – a series of network updates designed to offer next-generation network capabilities to customers.

Since then, Sprint has been aggressively notifying customers to migrate from the iDEN Nextel National Network to avoid service disruptions. The notifications have included customer letters, legal notifications, and email reminders. Sprint added iDEN shutdown reminder text messages and will use other communications tactics during the network’s final days of operation.

“Our shutdown communications are meant to give customers more than enough lead time to plan their migration,” said Bob Azzi, senior vice president-Network. “This has been especially important for public safety, first responders, health care users and others who rely on the service to protect and preserve people’s lives. We strongly urge customers to migrate now, rather than wait until the last minute.”

Customers who migrate to Sprint Direct Connect experience three times the push-to-talk coverage compared to iDEN, international direct connect reach to Latin American countries, and 3G broadband data capabilities.

“SprintDirect Connect is a gold standard in push-to-talk,” Azzi said. “It comes with the broadband capabilities that businesses and public safety pros need for business applications, social media, and future push-to-X capabilities on Sprint’s broadband CDMA network.”

The transition of Sprint’s push-to-talk service from iDEN to CDMA is part of the company’s Network Vision plans. Network Vision is expected to add net economic value for Sprint from reduced roaming costs, cell site reduction, backhaul efficiencies, more efficient use of capital, and energy cost savings.

• Like 1

Will be interesting to see in the roll out here. CA Central Valley, I doubt anything will go live here until after 6/30 to see if they light up 800 by default on site turn ups.

So, wait, do I still get to sponsor the countdown clock?

AJ

I wonder if Brian Regan is available...

AJ

• Like 3

I already asked this question in the sponsor section but, do some cities already have 800Mhz but it isn't live yet? In NYC buildings chew up and spit out cellular signal. At my nearest mall, I roam on Verizon and Sprint's tower is literally a quater of a mile away. It is probably the only actual tower in NYC since most are on the roof of buildings.

I already asked this question in the sponsor section but, do some cities already have 800Mhz but it isn't live yet? In NYC buildings chew up and spit out cellular signal. At my nearest mall, I roam on Verizon and Sprint's tower is literally a quater of a mile away. It is probably the only actual tower in NYC since most are on the roof of buildings.

Anywhere that is outside of the IBEZ and has had new panels and RRUs installed is ready for 800 SMR. It just needs to be calibrated and then turned on once the iDen network is shut down and the band is cleared out and ready for use.

Post june 30, should we expect to see 800 go live on new sites at the same time as 4g, or do you think it will be delayed like how 3g is often past 4g?

So, wait, do I still get to sponsor the countdown clock?

AJ

I'm working on putting it in the right hand margin under the Donation box.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

I wonder if Brian Regan is available...

AJ

Brian Regan is going to be in Pueblo, CO in August. I'm thinking of going.

• Like 1

Post june 30, should we expect to see 800 go live on new sites at the same time as 4g, or do you think it will be delayed like how 3g is often past 4g?

I think CDMA 800 acceptances will become much more common.

The countdown clock is now on the Main Forum page, in the right hand Margin.

Robert

• Like 5

Anyway to make it a bit larger like in filling the area up so people like me with bad eyes can see the small letters or numbers?

The one up top is the largest embeddable widget, unfortunately.

Robert

• Like 1

We need people with old iDEN phones to watch the signal so we know the exact time the network went down (it would be a hilarious addition to Sprints wikipedia page).

If someone still has an iDen phone active it and has unlimited voice it would be awesome to have it on a call then watch it cut out right when the network shuts down.

• Like 12

Yes it is. Been using it in Vegas and it isn't even close to where I am at. Very impressed with the coverage in buildings. EVDO has been useless in some areas even with a -50 signal due to the saturation of people on the site. Forcing 1x and using 800smr for data has worked great since I am probably the only one using it being that it is hidden right now. Have my own cell network here ;)

Sent from my little Note2

• Like 9

S4GRU readers, want to see your name up in lights? Here is your chance...

The Nextel iDEN countdown clock is up on the front page of The Forums.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/index

As a fundraiser for non profit S4GRU, you can claim "naming rights" to the iDEN countdown clock for a day for a $5 donation. I have already made my claim on the first three days through the end of this workweek. Now, who will step up to the plate and meet my challenge to keep the sponsorship going?

Celebrate the shutdown of iDEN. Show your support for CDMA1X 800 and LTE 800. And, of course, see your name get recognized by thousands of other readers around the country.

Just make a $5 PayPal donation, put "iDEN countdown" in the message, and the clock is yours for a day.

AJ

• Like 10

I just donated for a few days myself. Been meaning to donate a little more recently and never got around to it. Couldn't pass up an opportunity like this though. :D

• Like 1