Poor LTE speeds at FLL

There is a site in Tulsa that usually fails to transfer any data regardless of signal strength on one of its sectors. You can see -70dbm signal get 2000+ms ping, then maybe 10kbps down and failed upload on LTE. The worst part is the messed up sector covers a huge area along a major highway and makes any Sprint phone that connects to it unusable.

When they launch Tulsa, I'm going to raise hell on that one.

Where at, just curious? I'd like to verify this for myself (I'm a fellow Tulsan :P).

Does Tmobile have better building penetration than sprint or is it just me? I got a tmobile hotspot since most places I go sprint 3g is extremely slow or the lte just won't penetrate walls but tmobile I get 14 mbps down consistently throughout my house on hspa 21 and no less than 5 anywhere else even if the signal is kinda low. I thought since tmobile uses 2100 for the download and sprint uses 1900 that sprint would be better

Does Tmobile have better building penetration than sprint or is it just me? I got a tmobile hotspot since most places I go sprint 3g is extremely slow or the lte just won't penetrate walls but tmobile I get 14 mbps down consistently throughout my house on hspa 21 and no less than 5 anywhere else even if the signal is kinda low. I thought since tmobile uses 2100 for the download and sprint uses 1900 that sprint would be better

Network Vision towers will fix that problem in two stages.

1. The 1900 signal from Network Vision cell sites will be stronger due to remote radio units (RRU's for short) mounted behind the antenna. This leads to less signal loss and greater output.

2. 800 MHz CDMA1X on modernized sites will enable better in building call performance. After Nextel is shut down, Sprint will launch LTE over the old Nextel frequencies which will add another layer of speed and capacity to the existing 1900 LTE.

3. Upon Sprint's acquisition of Clear, Sprint will also be using band 41 (2600 MHz) to launch TD-LTE in urban areas to bring forth even greater speeds and capacity.

2 and 3 in particular are going to be things T-Mobile cannot do.

Network Vision towers will fix that problem in two stages.

1. The 1900 signal from Network Vision cell sites will be stronger due to remote radio units (RRU's for short) mounted behind the antenna. This leads to less signal loss and greater output.

2. 800 MHz CDMA1X on modernized sites will enable better in building call performance. After Nextel is shut down, Sprint will launch LTE over the old Nextel frequencies which will add another layer of speed and capacity to the existing 1900 LTE.

3. Upon Sprint's acquisition of Clear, Sprint will also be using band 41 (2600 MHz) to launch TD-LTE in urban areas to bring forth even greater speeds and capacity.

2 and 3 in particular are going to be things T-Mobile cannot do.

Got you but sprint has 1900 lte in a few locations in my city and tmobile always has 4g and sprints lte will not penetrate buildings that good. Outside on sprint ill get 10-18 down and as soon as I step inside it goes to 2-3 mbps down then goes to 3g. I do have the HTC EVO 4g lte so that could be some of the reason

The key for building penetration will be Alcatel getting 800 MHz CDMA working in your market. I see you are a sponsor so you can see there's only one site in the Miami metropolitan area that has 800 CDMA deployed, near Homestead. When AlLu starts turning on 800 CDMA en masse, that's when you will see a big difference. T-Mobile simply doesn't have that sort of frequency that can pierce a Faraday cage like Sprint will have through the US at the completion of NV 1.0.

Also, to be fair, the RF performance on the EVO LTE isn't that great either, as AJ and others have documented here on S4GRU.

There is one tower I'm concerned about in particular that is about 1/4 a mile away from a Walmart and I can't even get lte in the parking lot let alone inside. Its a water tower site but I don't understand how it can't go very far especially when the tower is so close I can see the panels and everything on it from the Walmart very well

There is one tower I'm concerned about in particular that is about 1/4 a mile away from a Walmart and I can't even get lte in the parking lot let alone inside. Its a water tower site but I don't understand how it can't go very far especially when the tower is so close I can see the panels and everything on it from the Walmart very well

Is it a tower where NV is complete? Only you can figure that out by looking at the map of where it is at.

Yes it is confirmed complete 4g lte wise. And the dbm at the tower is like 70 so I know its the one. I'm guessing maybe it has terrible Down tilt to be that short on range

Typically, hotspots often have stronger transmission power than handsets. This can also increase the discrepancy between the two. Add the fact you're comparing dissimilar technologies, broadcast from different sites and you're using the worst RF performer for Sprint LTE and you likely can now account for the difference.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

Yes it is confirmed complete 4g lte wise. And the dbm at the tower is like 70 so I know its the one. I'm guessing maybe it has terrible Down tilt to be that short on range

The EVO is getting -70 DBm right under the tower? I hate to break it to you, but that ain't good. Can you hang tight until this fall when SMR/PCS/BRS FDD/TD-LTE handsets are available? I think the opening of 800 MHz SMR CDMA2000 after the end of Nextel would help in the Walmart as well...

The EVO is getting -70 DBm right under the tower? I hate to break it to you, but that ain't good.

Actually, that is good. Remember, the nature of the RSRP metric causes it to measure about 20 dB below RSSI. So, right around a site, -70 dBm RSRP, equating to roughly -50 dBm RSSI, would be quite typical.

AJ

• Like 1

The EVO is getting -70 DBm right under the tower? I hate to break it to you, but that ain't good. Can you hang tight until this fall when SMR/PCS/BRS FDD/TD-LTE handsets are available? I think the opening of 800 MHz SMR CDMA2000 after the end of Nextel would help in the Walmart as well...

I have only seen LTE signals stronger than -70dBm RSRP a handful of times. That's near the top of the chart.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Typically, hotspots often have stronger transmission power than handsets.

Yep, comparing the EVO LTE to a mobile hotspot is like comparing a Ford Fiesta to a Ford F-350.

AJ

• Like 1

I have only seen LTE signals stronger than -70dBm RSRP a handful of times. That's near the top of the chart.

I just so happened to have grabbed this engineering screenshot at K-State on Sunday.

2e66jy1.png

AJ

Screenshot_2013-05-12-15-09-221_zps2a202eba.png

This is what happen's when all you have is 10x10 LTE and every one and there bro thought it would be cooler to join verizon. The sadest part is that sprint 3G get's about the same DL speed and better upload speed in that area.

I just so happened to have grabbed this engineering screenshot at K-State on Sunday.

2e66jy1.png

AJ

And now you have a nice LTE glow! :)

Man, that is a strong signal.

Robert

Screenshot_2013-05-12-15-09-221_zps2a202eba.png

This is what happen's when all you have is 10x10 LTE and every one and there bro thought it would be cooler to join verizon. The sadest part is that sprint 3G get's about the same DL speed and better upload speed in that area.

We have a few sites around here that are now down to 1-3Mbps on VZW LTE 750 at peak times. However, they have been steadily dropping since last Fall. So we will probably be down to that in the next few months. I purchased a new VZW LTE hotspot last month that is AWS LTE capable because of their oncoming LTE capacity crunch.

Robert

And now you have a nice LTE glow! :)

Man, that is a strong signal.

Top floor of the K-State Union, standing at a window, looking roughly 500 feet due south at the north sector Network Vision panel atop the Holiday Inn.

AJ

• Like 2

Yep, comparing the EVO LTE to a mobile hotspot is like comparing a Ford Fiesta to a Ford F-350.

AJ

I had know clue hotspots where better at data signal than phones lol feeling silly right now but thanks for educating me on this. The good news is I stopped complaining about sprints slow data speeds because tmobile hspa 21 is awesome. Now I can wait in peace as sprint gets things moving B-)

But something is still up with that one tower that is 1/4 away of that from a Walmart and I get no 4g lte signal even in the parking lot. Neither on my EVO lte nor on my girlfriends GS3

Think of it like this: Sprint is just trying to let you know the damage to your local economy that Walmart is causing your community.

AJ

• Like 2

Idk but whatever sprint did to the tower at Northwood university they f ed up the speed for long distance. Right next to the tower speeds are great. Less than 1 mile away and it's like dial up.