Poor LTE speeds at FLL

I was at Ft. Lauderdale airport today and got results of 400kbps with 4G and an RSRP in the low 90s. Just wondering why this would happen. I've attached my screenshots to illustrate.

post-2117-0-97325300-1367892290_thumb.png

post-2117-0-56596100-1367892289_thumb.png

I was at Ft. Lauderdale airport today and got results of 400kbps with 4G and an RSRP in the low 90s. Just wondering why this would happen. I've attached my screenshots to illustrate.

Screenshot_2013-05-06-11-11-00.png

Screenshot_2013-05-06-11-09-30.png

Did you try another speed test server?

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

There is a site in Tulsa that usually fails to transfer any data regardless of signal strength on one of its sectors. You can see -70dbm signal get 2000+ms ping, then maybe 10kbps down and failed upload on LTE. The worst part is the messed up sector covers a huge area along a major highway and makes any Sprint phone that connects to it unusable.

When they launch Tulsa, I'm going to raise hell on that one.

Yeah at night LTE is bad at the tower at north wood university. Good signal but only like 900 Kbps download. Can someone explain why the download speed test runs with poor signal but I can't get the upload to run. I'm in west palm beach with galaxy s4

Yeah at night LTE is bad at the tower at north wood university. Good signal but only like 900 Kbps download. Can someone explain why the download speed test runs with poor signal but I can't get the upload to run. I'm in west palm beach with galaxy s4

There is likely a problem with the site. Since West Palm is a launched area, call Sprint and open a ticket. Just make sure you actually have a good signal. The S4 doesn't show LTE signal strength in its bars. See the link below for an explanation:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2040-bars-lie-for-lte-signal-strength-how-to-determine-your-actual-lte-signal-strength/

If your signal is actually weak, then I wouldn't report it. It will get better when a closer site launches. If the signal is actually strong, then call Sprint.

• Like 1

I use signalcheck lite to check the LTE signal. I guess I will call them at night when I'm close to that tower.

What is your LTE RSRP?

The signal was around -90 but I know it was less than -100. So I don't know what to say. Can you give me some information on a different tower ?

Did you try another speed test server?

No, but the internet was virtually unusable. It took close to 2 minutes to load Google's webpage so I'm pretty sure the results were accurate. There was another test I ran (same server) that was like 30kbps for download with a 450ms ping but it then stalled out. All internet was very slow, not just the tests.

There is a site in Tulsa that usually fails to transfer any data regardless of signal strength on one of its sectors. You can see -70dbm signal get 2000+ms ping, then maybe 10kbps down and failed upload on LTE. The worst part is the messed up sector covers a huge area along a major highway and makes any Sprint phone that connects to it unusable.

When they launch Tulsa, I'm going to raise hell on that one.

I've ran into this same issue with one tower here in Sunrise, FL. It appears one sector of this tower no matter how close you are to it provides inconsistent data.

Although it is common to have one sector here or one site there to have problems during deployment, it seems that the Miami market has more than its share. Wow.

If they do not get corrected when each area launches, I suggest opening tickets.

Although it is common to have one sector here or one site there to have problems during deployment, it seems that the Miami market has more than its share. Wow.

If they do not get corrected when each area launches, I suggest opening tickets.

Not to go too far off subject, but LTE coverage is quite spotty in nearby Port St. Lucie, which I believe has launched. I am aware that there are still towers yet to be upgraded, but even around the towers that have been, the radius of coverage seems rather minimal. Is this something that you would suggest calling to open tickets on?

Not to go too far off subject, but LTE coverage is quite spotty in nearby Port St. Lucie, which I believe has launched. I am aware that there are still towers yet to be upgraded, but even around the towers that have been, the radius of coverage seems rather minimal. Is this something that you would suggest calling to open tickets on?

No, definitely not. Communities launch typically with 40% of sites being completed. Opening tickets about other sites not yet being completed (spotty coverage) is a waste of your time and Sprints. The other sites will be ready as soon as their ready. Good question.

• Like 1

I don't think that would be recommended, as they are lighting up new towers daily in the markets. Basically work still goes on, just has a "blanket" coverage.

• Like 1

Got it. Thank you, Robert. I guess it seems like the upgraded towers should be able to reach the area I'm driving through, but maybe the issue is that a legacy tower is better situated (or configured) to cover that area.

I don't think that would be recommended, as they are lighting up new towers daily in the markets. Basically work still goes on, just has a "blanket" coverage.

Well, looking at Sensorly and at my own experiences, I really wouldn't call Port St. Lucie's coverage a "blanket." Maybe you could say the Turnpike is somewhat well covered through the city.

Nearby Palm City and Stuart are doing pretty well, though, I have to say.

Got it. Thank you, Robert. I guess it seems like the upgraded towers should be able to reach the area I'm driving through, but maybe the issue is that a legacy tower is better situated (or configured) to cover that area.

They design cells to overlap only slightly. If they overlap too much, it will cause interference problems. So places where sites have not been upgraded will have poor to no coverage.

• Like 1

I have found that u get slower speeds at airports with sprint 4g, as far as I know sprint hasn't upgraded the das at all airports it has, so the 4g you are getting is from towers near by. So it will be slower with all the users. I know in time, sprint with get to it. That is also something that after they buy clear, that will get better too :-)

I was told on Wednesday that a site near the airport was reported as having "under performing" so that may have been related to your network issues at the time. I only know this due to me having a open ticket with Sprint in regards to an issue with 1 line on my account. The escalation manager pulled up a chart of all of the towers I was connected within the past week. I have always had good data speeds by FLL Airport since the tower across 595 was upgraded.

• Like 1

It looks like someone called sprint and submitted a ticket and they said the issue will be fixed by sunday. So we will see