Conversation about Sprint Moving to UMTS

Canada is more or less a mirror of the US in spectrum policy. Add the protectionism of their government and good old-fashioned greed, throw them together, and voila, Robelus. I know one of the entrants there, Moblicity, went into creditor protection (Candadian C11) and sold off to Telus. WIND isn't doing great either.

Canada has crazy-strict foreign ownership rules, right?

I bet there's lots of foreigners who'd love to buy WND, Moblicity, and Public and make some nice dough in the worlds highest-priced market.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2009/08/11/canada-cellphone-rates-expensive-oecd.html

1. If the only other option for the high end engineers is C7 liquidation, I'm betting even the French would accept a deal when it comes to AlLu finding a buyer.

2. Canada had the foreign investment rules which lifted a bit, but it's still a lot of scrutiny to put up with.

Sure, it would be a good move to give it business, if it wasn't already so close to folding. It was in better shape when Sprint negotiated the agreement for Network Vision, but that is no longer the case. As for the feature set, Alcatel-Lucent DBSes lag behind Ericsson and Samsung in terms of 3GPP features supported in Release 9 (not even counting Release 10, since only one of the three vendors actually has a substantial amount of Release 10 features implemented).

If ALU is good enough for Verizon's small cells, it should be good enough for Sprint

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizon-taps-alcatel-lucent-ericsson-lte-small-cells/2013-05-21

If ALU is good enough for Verizon's small cells, it should be good enough for Sprint

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizon-taps-alcatel-lucent-ericsson-lte-small-cells/2013-05-21

What isn't mentioned is that Verizon's choice of vendors was pre-selected back when they began the LTE deployment three years ago. They were quietly talking about it at Mobile World Congress, as well. Last year was when Verizon became a loud proponent of small cells, and noted that it worked with Ericsson and ALU since mid-2011 on the HetNet stuff.

All the same, I think the rumors of Alcatel-Lucent's demise are a bit exaggerated or at least premature.

I feel it's premature because ALU was the first to produce small cells for Sprint PCS CDMA/EVDO/LTE.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

The problem with AlLu isn't engineering wise. It's that they lose money hand over fist. Same problem Lucent had. NSN was able to turn around in a short time by bringing focus to their business and focusing on mobile broadband.

Maybe AlLu should try the same.