Sprint + U.S. Cellular = incompatible phones?

Isn't he also your bail bondsman? Quite the entrepeneur, that Guido!!! :D

Hey, in my spectrum analysis activities, I have only been detained and questioned. I have not been arrested -- yet.

AJ

• Like 4

What if Sprint had bought ALL of US Cellular?

Would they have made all 5mil+ customers buy new phones?

You need to ask 4GHoward. "What ifs" are his department.

AJ

• Like 2

What if Sprint had bought ALL of US Cellular?

Would they have made all 5mil+ customers buy new phones?

If they bought all of USCC, then they would have also received the USCC network. That would be a whole different deal. Sprint did not receive the USCC network in this deal, just customers and spectrum. It's kind of an unusual deal.

Robert

I should PM him?

No, I am only teasing. 4GHoward is a longstanding, helpful S4GRU member famous for his many "What if" questions.

AJ

• Like 1

If they bought all of USCC, then they would have also received the USCC network. That would be a whole different deal. Sprint did not receive the USCC network in this deal, just customers and spectrum. It's kind of an unusual deal.

Robert

If they had bought USC, would they have converted any of USC towers to NV or just added channel cards to Sprint towers for additional capacity?

If they had bought USC, would they have converted any of USC towers to NV or just added channel cards to Sprint towers for additional capacity?

I believe that in places where USCC had coverage, but Sprint did not, they would have likely converted those sites to Network Vision. The FCC may have required if Sprint purchased all of USCC that they maintain USCC coverage.

When this deal was initially announced with Sprint/USCC, there was a chance the FCC may have required equal coverage too. I was slightly surprised they didn't. However, USCC and Sprint coverages are not vastly different in these markets.

Robert

I believe that in places where USCC had coverage, but Sprint did not, they would have likely converted those sites to Network Vision. The FCC may have required if Sprint purchased all of USCC that they maintain USCC coverage.

When this deal was initially announced with Sprint/USCC, there was a chance the FCC may have required equal coverage too. I was slightly surprised they didn't. However, USCC and Sprint coverages are not vastly different in these markets.

Robert

What about the cell phones of the 5mil customers?

Would they be required to change phones?

Edited by maximus1987

Where people are getting screwed is failing sprints credit checks or not get approved for enough lines as they had at us cellular.

I am not sure if "getting screwed" is the right phrase. Anyone who fails a Sprint credit check has a rather poor credit rating and would probably be better off on prepaid anyway.

AJ

Frankly, Sprint is one of the most lenient as far as credit checks go. I have never seen anyone "fail". At worst, you'll only be approved for one line and have a deposit. Most deposits are $50 or $100 for bad credit. Worst I've personally seen was $500, and that's only once. I've heard of stories of people being refused service, but we all know how hearsay works.

What about the cell phones of the 5mil customers?

Would they be required to change phones?

It's in an impossible question to answer. But I would guess they would allow customers to keep their phones for the remainder of their contract, but upgrades or new lines of service must be on a new Sprint device. Similar to what Verizon did with Alltel customers. They would likely reduce to the USCC network to one voice and one EVDO carrier and start to Network Vision the USCC network. However, this is very speculative. And I'm probably being biased about what they should do, instead of what they'd actually do.

Robert

• Like 2

I refused service on a uscc customer yesterday. It literally said declined, i had never seen that before. I have seen plenty of 250,500, and a few 750s.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

I've seen a few $500 deposits on Sprint, but it's not that common I'll tell you that.

also, would it be possible for Sprint to gradually integrate the spectrum assets from USCC to their network or would they need to wait for the entirety of the 20 month window to close and then integrate all of it in one go? Surely it would be nice to deploy another CDMA1xA voice carrier or two if you could sooner rather than later.

I've seen a few $500 deposits on Sprint, but it's not that common I'll tell you that.

also, would it be possible for Sprint to gradually integrate the spectrum assets from USCC to their network or would they need to wait for the entirety of the 20 month window to close and then integrate all of it in one go? Surely it would be nice to deploy another CDMA1xA voice carrier or two if you could sooner rather than later.

I don't know the details. However, I don't see why they wouldn't be allowed to use undeployed spectrum now.

Robert

And credit issues may have been one of the reasons why USCC's two largest markets underperformed. USCC may have been scraping the bottom of the barrel for a lot of sub prime customers in Chicago and St. Louis.

AJ

I resent that statement bro lol.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

People are not forced to change phones. They can keep their USCC phones until the USCC network is turned off. I believe that is for the remainder of the time anyone would have on contract. At the end of their contract, they can either get a Sprint device or go with another carrier.

This is much better than what AT&T did when they took over Alltel customers in our area. They had 45 days to get an AT&T device, or they would no longer have 3G service. And true to form, on the 46th day, Alltel customers dropped to 1x only. All they wanted was to keep their service to the end of their contract.

You are better off staying on the the USCC network anyway until Network Vision is largely complete in your area. Then you can upgrade to a Sprint device.

Robert

On the other hand, Verizon gave Alltel customers, what, 2+ years to switch? That including keeping ancient plans and rates in play.

Would the USCC phones work on Verizon? I was always confused when a verizon customer called in with a sprint phone. Our system wouldnt allow us to active it, but someone they managed, and once they were in the system they were in. Is it the same with Sprint? Can some knowledgeable tier 2 tech guy get these phones in unofficially?

On the other hand, Verizon gave Alltel customers, what, 2+ years to switch? That including keeping ancient plans and rates in play.

Would the USCC phones work on Verizon? I was always confused when a verizon customer called in with a sprint phone. Our system wouldnt allow us to active it, but someone they managed, and once they were in the system they were in. Is it the same with Sprint? Can some knowledgeable tier 2 tech guy get these phones in unofficially?

How Verizon handled Alltel is the best way from a customer service standpoint. However, Verizon got Alltel's network. Sprint did not receive USCC's network. So Sprint wants them on the Sprint network as soon as possible, and USCC wants them off theirs as soon as possible so they can start decommissioning it.

Also, Verizon does not allow USCC phones to be activated on their network. I also believe that all USCC devices are lower 700MHz and not compatible with VZW LTE 750.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Bottom line is sprint isn't going to allow a garbage HTC wildfire on its network :D everybody is gonna have to get new phones but sprint is the best way to go seeing ass how we already have lte for one and two vzw att or tmobile isn't offering the former us cellular customers what sprint is seeing as if they don't come to sprint they have to pay way more.

Bottom line is sprint isn't going to allow a garbage HTC wildfire on its network :D everybody is gonna have to get new phones but sprint is the best way to go seeing ass how we already have lte for one and two vzw att or tmobile isn't offering the former us cellular customers what sprint is seeing as if they don't come to sprint they have to pay way more.

Do not count out Verizon , ATT, and T-mobile on taking advantage of Sprint. ATT (and presumably Verizon) went extremely hard against Sprint when they begin their nextel decommissioning for iDen subs. Verizon and ATT already has LTE in the affected areas whereas sprint is still in the process of just deploying for many of the affected regions outside of Chicago and they will use it as a leverage against sprints still highly visible legacy 3g network.

They'll make a go for the customers and they'll take a healthy chunk. Sprints reputation in these areas with USCC subs aren't the best anyhow no matter what NV brings.

Do not count out Verizon , ATT, and T-mobile on taking advantage of Sprint. ATT (and presumably Verizon) went extremely hard against Sprint when they begin their nextel decommissioning for iDen subs. Verizon and ATT already has LTE in the affected areas whereas sprint is still in the process of just deploying for many of the affected regions outside of Chicago and they will use it as a leverage against sprints still highly visible legacy 3g network.

They'll make a go for the customers and they'll take a healthy chunk. Sprints reputation in these areas with USCC subs aren't the best anyhow no matter what NV brings.

Haha yeah right bro I personally know ten former USCC customers who are looking forward to becoming sprint customers. If u are here where the majority of the buyout is happening u see sprint has a reliable 4g and surfable 3g now. To me and a lot of others the old sprint is exactly what nextel is...history lol.

Chicago will be just fine for USCC. It's STL where they may have a large issue with bleed. Though, to be fair, Sprint is starting to hit the gas pedal there. It may not be soon enough.

As far as the assertion that USCC was chasing sub prime customers in STL or CHI, does anyone have any numbers to back that up?

Chicago, south bend and ft wayne are all 1900 lte launched and will be getting 800 lte very soon. I can only speak for the south bend area, service here has improved dramatically since NV.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

Chicago will be just fine for USCC. It's STL where they may have a large issue with bleed. Though, to be fair, Sprint is starting to hit the gas pedal there. It may not be soon enough.

As far as the assertion that USCC was chasing sub prime customers in STL or CHI, does anyone have any numbers to back that up?

I don't think there is none to be honest.