Man, that's kind of harsh, Fast Company.

Duffman

I think it's important to remember that Macintosh is a fantastic OS while iOS is a horrible one.

That being said, the reason Apple is under so much scrutiny is because their profits are phenomenal. It's extremely clear that they can improve pay and conditions. As Mr. Jobs said, "Those jobs aren't coming back." This is fine but the company is far to successful to be so evil. Basically, enough people have iThings that this story can be much more sensational and used to raise awareness. While I'm against misinformation, I think it's important to be aware of the source of your products. If we can't trust people to check on it and care then we can see an infographic about it which someone hopes will be posted to many a tumblr and Facebook pages. Or perhaps it's easier just to accept the new product from big brother.

I do love my Mac and I have my own reasons but those horrible iOS devices. Why God why? Oh and fun fact. It costs Apple somewhere around 90 bucks to make an iPhone, most of that is shipping to US.

I like simplicity. And yes I do like android too, but I sure still miss my iPhone. I'm even posting on here using it and Forum Runner still. I left AT&T because I needed unlimited text messaging and just couldn't afford the extra 20/mo for it. And I even get cheaper service thanks to my 25% discount which keeps me more convinced to stay with Sprint.

Sent from Joshs iPhone 3Gs using Forum Runner

I think it's important to remember that Macintosh is a fantastic OS while iOS is a horrible one.

That being said' date=' the reason Apple is under so much scrutiny is because their profits are phenomenal. It's extremely clear that they can improve pay and conditions. As Mr. Jobs said, "Those jobs aren't coming back." This is fine but the company is far to successful to be so evil. Basically, enough people have iThings that this story can be much more sensational and used to raise awareness. While I'm against misinformation, I think it's important to be aware of the source of your products. If we can't trust people to check on it and care then we can see an infographic about it which someone hopes will be posted to many a tumblr and Facebook pages. Or perhaps it's easier just to accept the new product from big brother.

I do love my Mac and I have my own reasons but those horrible iOS devices. Why God why? Oh and fun fact. It costs Apple somewhere around 90 bucks to make an iPhone, most of that is shipping to US.[/quote']

That would probably be the iPhone 4. The 4S 16GB costs close to $199 to make. And I love my Mac much more than Windoze. My grandpa got my mom a Mac in 94, and except for about a 5 year time span, I've only ever owned a Mac since then.

We use both here at work macs and PCs. Same with phones, androids/iphones/blackberrys.

As far as phones I just prefer android because I can do whatever I want with it. Surprising that my daughter(14) and wife after having thier evos for two years both said no to iphones when I asked them about upgrading. (thier only concern is that they have seen no small sized android phones coming to sprint yet. They want to stay around evo size.

With macs/pcs. I like the mac OS, but I am and always have been a gamer. So its PC only for me. Thats the main reason but I also refuse to pay 2 or 3 times as much for the same hardware just to be able to run a mac OS on it.

We use both here at work macs and PCs. Same with phones' date=' androids/iphones/blackberrys.

As far as phones I just prefer android because I can do whatever I want with it. Surprising that my daughter(14) and wife after having thier evos for two years both said no to iphones when I asked them about upgrading. (thier only concern is that they have seen no small sized android phones coming to sprint yet. They want to stay around evo size.

With macs/pcs. I like the mac OS, but I am and always have been a gamer. So its PC only for me. Thats the main reason but I also refuse to pay 2 or 3 times as much for the same hardware just to be able to run a mac OS on it.[/quote']

I don't care if I have to pay extra to get a Mac. And I learned to get along with the games that were available for Mac. Most of the time I played Sim City 2000, so I was pretty content in the gaming realm.

Why? Apple does way better than almost every other manufacturer. They pay better and treat their workers better /because/ they are the 800lb gorilla and can force the supply chain to comply.

If we wanted to have more state involvement in the economy and risk tons of debt financing capital construction and handing out free educations to all US citizens we could compete with China at this scale. The difference per iPhone seems to range from 20-60 bucks depending on who you believe. The problem is no one will front the capital on a speculative bet that you will win the contract and educating engineers/managers to be ready just in case. The Bank of China will. Simple as that.

• 4 weeks later...

Working conditions in China's manufacturing sector are almost uniformly bad across the board.

Apple vendors get an undue amount of scrutiny due to their visibility, but its hard to imagine that conditions are any better in the Chinese factories that pump out an endless amount of Android devices, OEM PCs, and game consoles.

Or in the segment that manufactures clothing, everyone remembers the Nike, Adidas, and Reebok sweatshop scandals from a decade ago.

Recently, a Chinese manufacturer of drywall and other sorts of building materials was caught using slave labor. Authorities raided their factories and freed close to 500 people who had been held captive and force to work without pay for up to 5 years.

And as bad as the manufacturing sector is, China's mining industry is likely even worse and has been the subject of multiple forced-labor scandals over the past couple of years.

This isn't really an Apple problem, poor labor conditions are a pan-Chinese problem.

And as working conditions improve, and wages rise, vendors (especially in the less visibile industries, less high tech) are going to other asian countries with less regulation like Vietnam, Malaysia, and Indonesia.

Next someone is going to accuse Apple of getting babies to work on the iPhone assembly lines. If the babies don't meet their daily quota, they'll grind them up and cook their baby fat to render it into plastic used to make hard protective cases.

Wait a minute, doesn't this happen already? :scratch:

• Like 1

Why? Apple does way better than almost every other manufacturer. They pay better and treat their workers better /because/ they are the 800lb gorilla and can force the supply chain to comply.

If we wanted to have more state involvement in the economy and risk tons of debt financing capital construction and handing out free educations to all US citizens we could compete with China at this scale. The difference per iPhone seems to range from 20-60 bucks depending on who you believe. The problem is no one will front the capital on a speculative bet that you will win the contract and educating engineers/managers to be ready just in case. The Bank of China will. Simple as that.

Not Samsung. They make nearly everything in house in South Korea, a first world country with fairer labor laws.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2