Will NV upgraded sites reduce/eliminate NID border missed call issue?

larryt510

I've been wondering if the new network vision equipment will finally solve the old problem of missed incoming calls while moving between two or more cell sites that are located on different network switches (NID's). When I say a 'missed incoming call' I am referring to incoming calls that never make it to the phone and instead get dumped to voicemail. Calls that get lost in the network paging channel before the phone can see the call.

This has been a problem here for as long as I can remember dating back to 1997 when I first signed up with Sprint. I spend a significant amount of my time while connected and bouncing back and forth between one cell site located on Irvine switch #1 and Irvine switch #2 here in Orange County, CA. Oddly Verizon has/had the exact same NID border location as Sprint here. No idea if that was just a coincidence or not.

The issue has already improved a lot since about 2009. Instead of missing 2-3 calls per day it only seems to happen about once every other day now. Not sure if today's modern phones are better at finding incoming calls or some sort of software patch was made on the network side by the vendors that helped.

Have any of the resident technology experts here heard anything about this? I know it's not a commonly known about or discussed problem but thought I would ask anyway.

Likely, no, Network Vision will not provide any service improvement along NID boundaries, as Network Vision does not change the geography of NIDs and MSCs.

About the only improvement you can hope for is that the enhanced signal strength from a CDMA1X 800 site/sector on one side of the NID boundary is sufficient to overcome pilot pollution from other sites/sectors on the other side of the NID boundary. That could be enough to keep your handset registered with one NID, rather than bouncing between two of them.

AJ

Yeah that's what I suspected but was hoping that maybe the new equipment would have software patches that addressed the missed call/NID boundary issue. You would think by now that they would have been able to come up with a fix after 15+ years.

Yeah that's what I suspected but was hoping that maybe the new equipment would have software patches that addressed the missed call/NID boundary issue. You would think by now that they would have been able to come up with a fix after 15+ years.

Software on the network side will not fix anything. Idle handsets are not under network control. And the handsets are operating exactly as designed. In deploying a cellular network across hundreds of thousands of square miles, the SID/NID boundary issue is just the nature of the beast.

AJ

Well I'm pretty sure that something changed to improve this over the past 4-5 years. Maybe an improvement with the handsets? Because it's a lot better now than it used to be and nothing else has changed with the cell sites around here that I know about.

Well I'm pretty sure that something changed to improve this over the past 4-5 years. Maybe an improvement with the handsets? Because it's a lot better now than it used to be and nothing else has changed with the cell sites around here that I know about.

CDMA2000 devices use a quick paging channel that is about 20 times faster than the previous cdmaOne paging channel. So, likely, devices can switch between NIDs/MSCs and register more quickly.

AJ

• Like 1

Interesting. When did the CDMA2000 devices begin?

CDMA2000 began with CDMA1X.

AJ