Potential Sprint rural buildout by 2016

Excuse the newbie question but do these filings mean that Sprint is going to start a LTE build out in these areas (shown map in link)pending FCC approval? Because it would be nice if Sprint had LTE service extending all the way from Pueblo down through Trinidad into Northern New Mexico Raton area!? But not sure if that's what these mean?

No, it's showing the current on air coverage in orange to prove that they have met the build-out population coverage requirement.

• Like 2

I see, ok so what does the blue line outlining the bottom part of the state going into NM for?

That is the area covered by the BEA.

I see, ok so what does the blue line outlining the bottom part of the state going into NM for?

That is the license boundary. The PCS G Block (as are the other PCS blocks) is broken up into a large number of BEA's (economic areas) around the country. That is the boundary for the Pueblo BEA. The FCC requirement was Sprint has to cover a certain percentage of the population within that boundary. By covering Pueblo, they meet that requirement. 

• Like 2

Thanks guys that makes sense now :)

So the only way this particular license area to be covered by native B25 service, or at least the I-25 corridor through the remaining portion of southern Co and Northern NM would be for Sprint to add Macrosites to expand coverage if they so desired because they have the license to deploy is this area for the PCS G Block right?

Thanks guys that makes sense now :)

So the only way this particular license area to be covered by native B25 service, or at least the I-25 corridor through the remaining portion of southern Co and Northern NM would be for Sprint to add Macrosites to expand coverage if they so desired because they have the license to deploy is this area for the PCS G Block right?

Yes, in order to expand coverage beyond Walsenburg, more sites would need to be added. 

I do not believe that these sites need to be open to the public at this stage. Eventually, yes.

background material:

http://www.repository.law.indiana.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1376&context=fclj

• Like 1

Map of Sprint Possible LTE Areas in New Rural BEAs

Based on Sprint FCC filings shown above in last two pages
Blue Balloons = only on FCC Maps
Green Balloons = On Sensorly (current) or Sprint Coverage Maps
Yellow Balloons = Area LTE unknown to S4GRU, not new BEA LTE
Forbidden = No filing found for this BEA

Map for tapatalk users

Total new BEAs license population: 3,264,703

Total new LTE covered population : 1,343,043

Total new LTE population % covered: 41.14%

Edited by dkyeager
  • Like 8

Does this mean theoretically if Sprint would natively cover the UP with service, it would be considered in the North Wisconsin market? 

Great find, I've been looking at a lot of these you've posted.

Does this mean theoretically if Sprint would natively cover the UP with service, it would be considered in the North Wisconsin market? 

Great find, I've been looking at a lot of these you've posted.

It does appear that most markets roughly follow BEA boundaries.  Cellcom likely has first rights for LTE in that area as it is on Sprint's 3G and more special coverage map on their website.

• Like 1

dkyeager, on 11 Mar 2016 - 11:20 PM, said:

Map of Sprint Possible LTE Areas in New Rural BEAs

Based on Sprint FCC filings shown above in last two pages

Blue Balloons = only on FCC Maps

Green Balloons = On Sensorly or Sprint Coverage Maps

Yellow Balloons = Area LTE unknown to S4GRU, not new BEA LTE

Forbidden = No filing found for this BEA

The sensorly marks in North Dakota were found to be false streaks, likely from someone spoofing Sprint on some other device. Ropert actually drove up there to check them out after they appeared last year.
  • Like 1

It does appear that most markets roughly follow BEA boundaries. Cellcom likely has first rights for LTE in that area as it is on Sprint's 3G and more special coverage map on their website.

My girlfriend goes to school in Marquette Michigan basically in that boundary that's outlined in the map. Would that area see native Sprint LTE soon ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My girlfriend goes to school in Marquette Michigan basically in that boundary that's outlined in the map. Would that area see native Sprint LTE soon ?

There is no way to say. These maps mean nothing as far as future expansion goes. They are just there to show that Sprint satisfied the G Block buildout requirements. Sprint holds the G Block nationwide, so theoretically they could put it to use anywhere. But there is no way to say where.

• Like 1

There is no way to say. These maps mean nothing as far as future expansion goes. They are just there to show that Sprint satisfied the G Block buildout requirements. Sprint holds the G Block nationwide, so theoretically they could put it to use anywhere. But there is no way to say where.

Oh ok gotcha, and that FCC filing that I read is that new markets that will see LTE ? I know they're doing work in the Montanas now. It seems like a minimal LTE expansion based off everything I'm hearing. Mostly focused on capacity and densifying the network

The sensorly marks in North Dakota were found to be false streaks, likely from someone spoofing Sprint on some other device. Ropert actually drove up there to check them out after they appeared last year.

Demoted Bismark, ND and Alaska entries for not being current on Sensorly.

If you live or travel in these areas, map your trip on Sensorly.  Then make a post here.  Better yet, use an app like Signal Check Pro (buggy) or LTE Discovery.

added total population figures to map post.

So dumb question but is that LTE in Alaska(anchorage) on sensorly false like the ones in upper NE Montana ? I know they're trying to expand in Alaska was just curious if that's real or not on the app

Edited by Brynn0823

So dumb question but is that LTE in Alaska(anchorage) on sensorly false like the ones in upper NE Montana ? I know they're trying to expand in Alaska was just curious if that's real or not on the app

On the sensory website if you zoom in, you can see when the coverage in an area was recorded. If I remember correctly, the LTE in Alaska is bogus but you can check. If it was updated this February to March then it's legit.

On the sensory website if you zoom in, you can see when the coverage in an area was recorded. If I remember correctly, the LTE in Alaska is bogus but you can check. If it was updated this February to March then it's legit.

I have no access to a computer only my iPhone. Can I check on the website still ?

It is not current. The Sensorly shown could be real or not. We have seen where sites can be tested years in advance. It is also possible these sites are broadcasting, but the public is not allowed on for a multitude of reasons (further expansion planned, looking for local partner, lack of backhaul, marketing launch needed, site support, site contract dispute, etc). Sprint does have infrastructure in Alaska from Expedience and they have recently renewed microwave links.

Sensorly will not allow corrections to be made, even if it was done on your phone. I once dragged b41 to my backyard from 20 miles away and they would not remove it.

The official FCC status of our various new locations remains as "Offlined for Expired License Review".

Nothing new on the Sensorly side, however Root Metrics shows the following entries (date unknown):

Caspar, WY lots of LTE entries, max speed 4.1/5 (down/up).

Rapid City, SD lots of LTE entries, but minimal speed of 0.1/0.1

Sioux City, SD lots of LTE entries, 2.5/4.6

Brookings, SD lots of LTE entries, 2.3/1.0

Watertown, SD lots of LTE entries, 1.7/0.9

Aberdeen, SD some LTE entries, 2.2/1.4

Billings, MT 1.9/1.5

Great Falls, MT 4.4/1.7

Missoula, MT 3.6/1.2

Some others are also shown. We can not rule out carrier or LTE misidentification.

:fingers:

• Like 4