Has Sprint adjusted LTE speeds?

Eh, "bandwidth" and "spectrum," in this case, are interchangeable. "Capacity" or "throughput" is different.

AJ

It is confusing. I should have said "data bandwidth" to be more clear. Throughput is defined as bandwidth but so is spectrum. Sorry about that.

This is good, because even with LTE on every site, there's only so much you can do with 5x5 carriers. At some point the capacity well will run dry.

If e-penis is a game you wish to engage in, my advice is to hold off for a TD-LTE device.

Sprint is quite well positioned for multiple 5x5 LTE carriers in SMR and PCS+G spectrum. AJ has said that most markets have existing spectrum for a second 5x5 LTE carrier. Also, as LTE usage increases, EVDO usage will decrease where those carriers can be re-purposed into LTE.

While the pipes in BRS spectrum will be huge, i wouldn't expect to see them outside of major markets and PCS spectrum constrained areas for 2 or 3 years (from launch).

Careful, if you keep changing your devices too often because the newer models always look sexier, you may get an STD-LTE.

This is your best post, ever.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 5

If it's e-penis you want, here's a reminder... Sprint is going to fully own a megaton of spectrum in the 2600 MHz band post-SoftBank transaction. Pay no attention to Sprint saying "we're only going to use this for capacity hotspots". I sense the 2600 is going to be deployed aggressively in a lot of places by SoftBank/Sprint. While they're wise to hide their true ambition, I would wager Sprint has a more aggressive plan than they may be externally letting on.

This is good, because even with LTE on every site, there's only so much you can do with 5x5 carriers. At some point the capacity well will run dry.

If e-penis is a game you wish to engage in, my advice is to hold off for a TD-LTE device.

I agree with you. I believe in time, especially under SoftBank, the TD-LTE layer on Network Vision sites will become pretty ubiquitous. The added cost of TD-LTE at a NV site is pretty minimal. If a site has fast enough backhaul, I think they'll add TD-LTE. And if capacity is needed, they'll expedite the backhaul.

I agree with you. I believe in time, especially under SoftBank, the TD-LTE layer on Network Vision sites will become pretty ubiquitous. The added cost of TD-LTE at a NV site is pretty minimal. If a site has fast enough backhaul, I think they'll add TD-LTE. And if capacity is needed, they'll expedite the backhaul.

What does your gut say on timeframe, NV2.0 in 2014 or further out?

What does your gut say on timeframe, NV2.0 in 2014 or further out?

Since LTE 800 is a part of NV 2.0, it's kind of starting now.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 1

Since LTE 800 is a part of NV 2.0, it's kind of starting now.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Yeah I would imagine since to shutdown of nextel is going down within less than 2 months. 3G 800 in Huntington is really really nice.

In my house I only get 5mbs with Verizon 4G LTE and the best in town speeds of 10-14mbs on avg, max 30mbs next to tower. In the RDU area speeds have gone down the tubes into the 2-3mbs down/ 1up like AT&T 3G speeds but with better ping. They need some 1700/2100 very soon. The worst I have seen:

Edited by 4ktvs

In my house I only get 5mbs with Verizon 4G LTE and the best in town speeds of 10-14mbs on avg, max 30mbs next to tower. In the RDU area speeds have gone down the tubes into the 2-3mbs down/ 1up like AT&T 3G speeds but with better ping. They need some 1700/2100 very soon. The worst I have seen:

I can get the same speed as the guy in the video over a non-upgraded 3G tower that usually hovers between 1-2 bars (-100 to -105dBm) so I can hardly wait to throw it in my friends faces that their precious verizon isn't all the map on tv says it is!

Screenshot_2013-05-07-08-20-38.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7rby8d0hkqazxv/Screenshot_2013-05-07-08-20-38.png

I'm getting really pissed. Service has only gotten worse in the Covington road area. I used to get 3-5 bars 4G. And Now I'm on 3G mainly and it switches time to time on the 4G?

I get pissed when people say I have x number of bars of 4g or lte and now I dont... But in all seriousness could be due to many factors, such as work being done to the tower or surrounding towers or the down tilt could have been changed to adjust for other towers going online soon with 4g .

• Like 1

I can get the same speed as the guy in the video over a non-upgraded 3G tower that usually hovers between 1-2 bars (-100 to -105dBm) so I can hardly wait to throw it in my friends faces that their precious verizon isn't all the map on tv says it is!

Screenshot_2013-05-07-08-20-38.png

https://www.dropbox....07-08-20-38.png

http://www.speedtest...d/446256294.png

Here's one with 104 dbm. You don't even want to know what happens on the weekends at that mall.

That was on LTE, not wifi or 3g. Also yes the sprint 3G speed test about the same in there. AT&T speed test at 4mbs down and 1 up on H+/3g and 15+ down/ 5mbs up on LTE just for an idea of how bad Verizon has failed the area. At home it works ok and in most places out side the RDU it works well. I some times think I live in NYC when I see such poor data speeds from LTE though. At lest most of the time it cracks 2mbs outside of that mall of death.

There is sprint LTE out side the mall, but the tower closest to it does not have it yet or at lest that's what they told me when I asked to try. They also thought it was funny that my Verizon LTE speeds were so slow.

Edited by 4ktvs

I'm getting really pissed. Service has only gotten worse in the Covington road area. I used to get 3-5 bars 4G. And Now I'm on 3G mainly and it switches time to time on the 4G?

If your service has degraded in a particular area, call Sprint and open a ticket. I don't like whining.

• Like 1

If your service has degraded in a particular area, call Sprint and open a ticket. I don't like whining.

It seems like you said that once already today but I can't find the thread.

It seems like you said that once already today but I can't find the thread.

I probably did. I should get it printed on T shirts. :tu:

• Like 2

I probably did. I should get it printed on T shirts. :tu:

Oooh, would this be the long-awaited official S4GRU t-shirt.? I'll buy one!

• Like 1

8 mbps would be fine with me. Of course, considering I struggle to see a reliable 100 kbps it'd be something else.

As someone said, the numbers game is freakin absurd. I talk to a lot of people who sign up for their advertised 20 mbps broadband home service, they are course fail to read the fine print, during peak hours, they end up seeing a 4th of that.

I have been able to flawlessly stream true HD over 8 mbps. As far as I'm concerned, there is no possible need for our phones to be much faster than that. If Sprint achieves that consistently, and reliably, THAT's what i care about. I would rather see sprint focus on real world usability. because at the end of the day, most users have no clue what a baud rate is. All they want is stuff to pull up for them.

Give me 8Mbps and 40 ms latency that is consistent over 50 Mbps with no one using and much lower speeds and sucky latency during the day.

• Like 2

http://www.speedtest...d/446256294.png

Here's one with 104 dbm. You don't even want to know what happens on the weekends at that mall.

That was on LTE, not wifi or 3g. Also yes the sprint 3G speed test about the same in there. AT&T speed test at 4mbs down and 1 up on H+/3g and 15+ down/ 5mbs up on LTE just for an idea of how bad Verizon has failed the area. At home it works ok and in most places out side the RDU it works well. I some times think I live in NYC when I see such poor data speeds from LTE though. At lest most of the time it cracks 2mbs outside of that mall of death.

There is sprint LTE out side the mall, but the tower closest to it does not have it yet or at lest that's what they told me when I asked to try. They also thought it was funny that my Verizon LTE speeds were so slow.

Heheheh. Sounds about right. My office is right by that particular mall if it's the one I'm thinking about (TTC?), and we have a bunch of Verizon lines. Not even LTE, EV-DO. It's nasty.

I can't remember if Crabtree is worse or not for Verizon, but I know on AT&T you can pull 10+ mbps on HSPA+ reliably over there...

Edited by techfury90