Sprint on Schedule for iDen Shutdown

marioc21

Not to my knowledge. Significant progress has been made, but I don't believe that this seemingly never ending project is complete just yet.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Ahh, very little info found via google.

See these are the things I need to learn. I go for brand loyalty. Next time though I will remember that. Sounds like I need an Android. Lol

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

The priorities are set by the PRL's. It has nothing to do with the phone you are using. Update to the latest and greatest PRL.

The priorities are set by the PRL's. It has nothing to do with the phone you are using. Update to the latest and greatest PRL.

I'm guess Sprint doesn't like the iPhone or at least the PRL group ;)

Does anyone know what parts of the network that they still have to shutdown? I know the coverage map that sprint has on their site is complete bogus. hmmmm?

So far, they haven't shut down any markets, but have gone through and "thinned" towers from markets due to reduced capacity requirements. I wouldn't expect the coverage maps to change much at this point although actual coverage in a market may have more holes than it used to.

In the next phase they'll cut network connectivity to the towers, although the towers will remain up and running for some time until they do truck rolls to cut power and backhaul.

At one time Sprint was sharing what towers were being cut, but it was being used against them by their competitors, so they pulled the culling maps.

I also imagine that the accuracy of those maps is pretty low on the priority list, and the regulators aren't going to kick a fuss up for them being misleading since they aren't accepting new customers and are actively trying to get people off of it.

• Like 1

So far, they haven't shut down any markets, but have gone through and "thinned" towers from markets due to reduced capacity requirements. I wouldn't expect the coverage maps to change much at this point although actual coverage in a market may have more holes than it used to.

In the next phase they'll cut network connectivity to the towers, although the towers will remain up and running for some time until they do truck rolls to cut power and backhaul.

At one time Sprint was sharing what towers were being cut, but it was being used against them by their competitors, so they pulled the culling maps.

I also imagine that the accuracy of those maps is pretty low on the priority list, and the regulators aren't going to kick a fuss up for them being misleading since they aren't accepting new customers and are actively trying to get people off of it.

Sprint is doing remote power and backhaul disconnects for all the Nextel iDEN sites effective, June 30th or the first day after that the utility/ILEC can disconnect service. Kind of like when you call the power and ISP to disconnect your home service when you move. They are stopping the bleeding costs of the Nextel network immediately. No need to be on site to do that disconnect.

In the coming weeks and months, they will actually go out to the site and decommission and deinstall. But the network will cease to operate nationwide on June 30th with all power and backhaul being shut down at sites and at switches. Bye bye, iDEN, bye bye. http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2579&view_id=8028

Robert

• Like 9

Sprint is doing remote power and backhaul disconnects for all the Nextel iDEN sites effective, June 30th or the first day after that the utility/ILEC can disconnect service. Kind of like when you call the power and ISP to disconnect your home service when you move. They are stopping the bleeding costs of the Nextel network immediately. No need to be on site to do that disconnect.

In the coming weeks and months, they will actually go out to the site and decommission and deinstall. But the network will cease to operate nationwide on June 30th with all power and backhaul being shut down at sites and at switches. Bye bye, iDEN, bye bye. http://newsroom.spri...79&view_id=8028

Robert

Hmm, When they deinstall everything, could some of the locations get replaced with NV?

Hmm, When they deinstall everything, could some of the locations get replaced with NV?

Potentially but only 100 or so towers to our knowledge are confirmed to do so. Remember, these would be full site replacements and can costs hundreds of thousands of dollars each. It's something that Sprint will probably look into once Softbank takes over and starts pouring billions into New Sprint.

• Like 1

Potentially but only 100 or so towers to our knowledge are confirmed to do so. Remember, these would be full site replacements and can costs hundreds of thousands of dollars each. It's something that Sprint will probably look into once Softbank takes over and starts pouring billions into New Sprint.

I really appreciate your response posts. They save me a lot of time, and your recollection of my posts is typically spot on. Thanks! Carry on...

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

I really appreciate your response posts. They save me a lot of time, and your recollection of my posts is typically spot on. Thanks! Carry on...

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

So basically, lilotimz has unofficially been designated your 'Mini Me'? :D

• Like 4