Sprint talks 20 MHz TDD LTE carrier aggregation

dedub

Are there TD-LTE certified versions of the HTC One or Galaxy S4 available anywhere in the world yet, like in China for example?

2nd half 2013 will have dual mode GS4's.

I asked because I keep hearing about Clearwire already working on their network and I always assume that it wasn't apart of nv and was wondering how they were going to integrate it.

Clearwire stated in their earnings call the other day that they are waiting for the LTE network to be integrated with Sprint's LTE core infrastructure. I'm going to assume that by summertime their should be at least 1 data card and 1 phone announced for a fall release for the complete Network Vision platform.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Clearwire stated in their earnings call the other day that they are waiting for the LTE network to be integrated with Sprint's LTE core infrastructure. I'm going to assume that by summertime their should be at least 1 data card and 1 phone announced for a fall release for the complete Network Vision platform.

Right but they also said they had completed 1300 sites already. Does that mean 1300 of the current WiMax sites (actually this would be great for where I am) or what? Otherwise happens to the WiMax towers under this plan? Kept up until 2015 and then not used at all?

Right but they also said they had completed 1300 sites already. Does that mean 1300 of the current WiMax sites (actually this would be great for where I am) or what? Otherwise happens to the WiMax towers under this plan? Kept up until 2015 and then not used at all?

Those 1300 towers have Samsung Dual mode WiMax/TD-LTE RRU's broadcasting WiMax for current users. The towers that are converted are most likely only the ones on the same towers that Sprint is co-located on, but could possibly be on towers that they aren't. Once 2015 hits, WiMax will be taken offline just like iDEN will be in 2 months, and all the old equipment will eventually taken down.

I still think that two 20 MHz TD LTE carriers would be better served than to have one 40 MHz TD LTE carrier aggregated pipe.

No way. 40 MHz = moar, bigger e-penis!

:P

AJ

Those 1300 towers have Samsung Dual mode WiMax/TD-LTE RRU's broadcasting WiMax for current users. The towers that are converted are most likely only the ones on the same towers that Sprint is co-located on, but could possibly be on towers that they aren't. Once 2015 hits, WiMax will be taken offline just like iDEN will be in 2 months, and all the old equipment will eventually taken down.

This goes back to the question I asked. By sprint and Clearwire being two different companies paying two different site leases and operating cost. When sprint acquire Clearwire as a whole wouldnt sprint be responsible for paying the leases that Clearwire currently have. Similar to what sprint did with Nextel merger.

This goes back to the question I asked. By sprint and Clearwire being two different companies paying two different site leases and operating cost. When sprint acquire Clearwire as a whole wouldnt sprint be responsible for paying the leases that Clearwire currently have. Similar to what sprint did with Nextel merger.

Until those leases run out, sure.

I hope those 1300 TD-LTE towers that are built are only at colocated Sprint sites. I think that none of the Clearwire only towers should have TD-LTE installed on them. Instead those plans to add TD-LTE at Clearwire only sites should be scrapped and those modified changes should be applied and added to the nearest Sprint Network Vision site. Right now we have no way to tell where those 1300 TD-LTE sites are located at.

• Like 1

Right now we have no way to tell where those 1300 TD-LTE sites are located at.

I do If they are 20 MHz TDD.

;)

AJ

Ah well that is good in my case (low sprint 3g signal at my apartment but decent 4g coverage oddly enough. The sad thing is that WiMax is often faster than Sprint LTE here in Austin and as more people transition off the service my speeds just keep going up. 10 down 1 up in a few places now.

Clearwire's LTE network under deployment now is on their own network and sites, and not just on colocated sites. Clearwire is not counting on a Sprint purchase.

Most likely, Sprint will stop Clearwire LTE deployment as is after the purchase and only deploy TD-LTE on Network Vision sites from there forward. The existing TD-LTE sites would be maintained through the end of WiMax.

Sprint/Softbank will want to dismantle the Clearwire network as soon as possible to cut redundant costs. However, they have to maintain WiMax until 2015. So I would expect in 2015, they will dismantle all the Clearwire network and move over TD-LTE service to Network Vision sites, where they hadn't already.

It will be tricky, because they will probably want to eliminate or thin Clearwire service in some areas where capacity isn't needed and the two Sprint bands are working fine (think places like Abilene and Modesto). But they cannot reduce it to the point of being less than the minimum service requirements for the band. Also, they may move protection sites over to TD-LTE. But they will not have to. They can keep broadcasting WiMax over those sites as long as they still allow customers who have the appropriate devices to use them.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Clearwire's LTE network under deployment now is on their own network and sites, and not just on colocated sites. Clearwire is not counting on a Sprint purchase.

Most likely, Sprint will stop Clearwire LTE deployment as is after the purchase and only deploy TD-LTE on Network Vision sites from there forward. The existing TD-LTE sites would be maintained through the end of WiMax.

Sprint/Softbank will want to dismantle the Clearwire network as soon as possible to cut redundant costs. However, they have to maintain WiMax until 2015. So I would expect in 2015, they will dismantle all the Clearwire network and move over TD-LTE service to Network Vision sites, where they hadn't already.

It will be tricky, because they will probably want to eliminate or thin Clearwire service in some areas where capacity isn't needed and the two Sprint bands are working fine (think places like Abilene and Modesto). But they cannot reduce it to the point of being less than the minimum service requirements for the band. Also, they may move protection sites over to TD-LTE. But they will not have to. They can keep broadcasting WiMax over those sites as long as they still allow customers who have the appropriate devices to use them.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

I wonder what they are going to do with all that spectrum in all the suburban/exurban areas. I hope they don't just waste it. They could use for fixed broadband service or they could sell it to somebody, like Dish or DirectTV. Or even, let's say, Verizon.

Edited by bigsnake49