HTC ONE user thread

jegillis

After dealing with them for over 5 hours both in person and over the phone we just went back, again, to the repair store and they switched out the SIM card and for the first time in over 3 weeks i have not had problems and was able to connect to eHRPD again..

You have really bad luck with getting the defective phones. I hope this time around, though, you get to experience how awesome this phone really is. 

-Luis

• Like 2

Htc just announced their Google addition of the One but sadly it looks like it is gsm support only. Are cdma carriers that evil? The Google additions of the htc one and s4 have my attention a lot more than the manufactures versions.

• Like 1

Htc just announced their Google addition of the One but sadly it looks like it is gsm support only. Are cdma carriers that evil? The Google additions of the htc one and s4 have my attention a lot more than the manufactures versions.

It would be interesting to see them port the Google Edition experience to CDMA HTC ONE. One can dream :P

Google has a thing against CDMA carriers.

-Luis

I hope the wizards at xda will be able to transplant the google htc one rom on to a sprint device once the necessary source/files are available.

One more reason for sprint to switch to GSM /ducks

I think that would be the equivalent of trying to move a mountain. Personally Sense 5 really makes this phone a complete phone for me. I love the look and designed, but I've never been a fan of Vanilla, it's very boring IMO. Sense 5, even though it's scaled back, really just pops out at you. I'll stick with Sense 5 any day over Vanilla.

-Luis

• Like 1

Nope.  No first world operator in its right mind would switch to GSM at this stage in the game.  Even AT&T née Cingular was arguably foolish for doing so about 10 years ago.  And, for the record, GSM does not mean W-CDMA nor LTE.  Heck, at this point, newly deploying W-CDMA would even be a crazy, conformist move.

AJ

There are several aosp/aokp roms available for the one already and they are all stable so wishing something like this would come to sprint is just ridiculous.  I mean seriously, if you really wanted a One Nexus Edition then why pay $599 for it when you can get it from sprint already subsidized and you can simply just root it and flash a rom.  Personally though, vanilla android simply isn't for me and other than gettng updates on time I really don't see any other advantages of going vanilla android. 

• Like 3

I'm pretty happy with Sense 5, and, like themuffinman, see little advantage to having a Nexus experience beyond the timely updates.  Of course timely updates are nice.  I'm thrilled to be on Jellybean rather than the ICS I was stuck on with the Evo 3D.

There are several aosp/aokp roms available for the one already and they are all stable so wishing something like this would come to sprint is just ridiculous.  I mean seriously, if you really wanted a One Nexus Edition then why pay $599 for it when you can get it from sprint already subsidized and you can simply just root it and flash a rom.  Personally though, vanilla android simply isn't for me and other than gettng updates on time I really don't see any other advantages of going vanilla android. 

Very well put, these are my sentiments exactly.

-Luis

I am against being forced to have blinkfeed as a home page. Older android indeed needed manufacture UIs, but not since the update to ics do they needed it. One exception would be the note 2. I worry that HTC will still be around in a few years, plus if aren't great at updates; not to mention there are GPS issues all all of their main phones. Even my rooted EVO still has GPS issues, so flashing another Rom fixing it is a maybe.

Has anyone noticed battery drain when using the speakers? Whenever I play music with the speakers it'll drain about 1% every 8 or so minutes. With regular earphones it'll drain 1% every 14 minutes.

I am against being forced to have blinkfeed as a home page. Older android indeed needed manufacture UIs, but not since the update to ics do they needed it. One exception would be the note 2. I worry that HTC will still be around in a few years, plus if aren't great at updates; not to mention there are GPS issues all all of their main phones. Even my rooted EVO still has GPS issues, so flashing another Rom fixing it is a maybe.

Techincally you're note being forced to, is it always there? Yes. Can you set another screen as your homescreen? Yes. I have a regular screen as my home page and only go to blinkfeed when I wanna check out some news.

It's not as intrusive as some people make it seem.

-Luis

• Like 1

I am against being forced to have blinkfeed as a home page.

Erm, you don't have to have blinkfeed as the home page..

scroll to a non-blinkfeed panel.

tap and hold on a non-widget/app area

when the add panel/widget window comes up, tap and hold on the panel you want to set as home

drag the panel to the 'set as home' icon

Has anyone noticed battery drain when using the speakers? Whenever I play music with the speakers it'll drain about 1% every 8 or so minutes. With regular earphones it'll drain 1% every 14 minutes.

Techincally you're note being forced to, is it always there? Yes. Can you set another screen as your homescreen? Yes. I have a regular screen as my home page and only go to blinkfeed when I wanna check out some news.

It's not as intrusive as some people make it seem.

-Luis

Erm, you don't have to have blinkfeed as the home page..

scroll to a non-blinkfeed panel.

tap and hold on a non-widget/app area

when the add panel/widget window comes up, tap and hold on the panel you want to set as home

drag the panel to the 'set as home' icon

Yes I am aware of not making it the MAIN home page. They should have put it in the form of a 4x4 widget. With my androids I go between 3 pages, none of which include any news app or widget. And as for flashing, I'm not the best rooter and bricked my EVO for several hours until I found a fix.

On a side note, I worked for Sprint up until the middle of May so I am very familiar with how these work. (I was a sales rep but not the kind that does not know anything) I was supposed to get the One for free until they transferred me prior to launch(each store manager picks someone), if you are transferred you just lose out, district manager doesn't take that into consideration and transfers to fill other stores staffing needs.

This is all a matter of opinion.  Stock ics/jellybean are for those that consider themselves to be minimalists which is fine but to the mainstream consumer which is 99.9% of everyone, they are more attracted to "eye candy" and "cool" features that you can get out of the box.  Take a gs4/one with touchwiz/sense and a gs4/one with stock jellybean and ask a thousand random strangers to pick one and could guarantee that every single person will pick the version with added UI.  In this scenario if anyone picks stock android then its because thats what they specifically wanted.  Also, I am not sure what gps issues you are having but all my htc devices even when stock, never had an issue with gps performance and if it did, it was because of something I did to the phone and not htc.  Every manufacturer will have random issues with a certain percentage of devices.

Yes I am aware of not making it the MAIN home page. They should have put it in the form of a 4x4 widget. With my androids I go between 3 pages, none of which include any news app or widget. And as for flashing, I'm not the best rooter and bricked my EVO for several hours until I found a fix.

On a side note, I worked for Sprint up until the middle of May so I am very familiar with how these work. (I was a sales rep but not the kind that does not know anything) I was supposed to get the One for free until they transferred me prior to launch(each store manager picks someone), if you are transferred you just lose out, district manager doesn't take that into consideration and transfers to fill other stores staffing needs.

You can have up to 5 screens, including the BlinkFeed one

-luis

This is all a matter of opinion.  Stock ics/jellybean are for those that consider themselves to be minimalists which is fine but to the mainstream consumer which is 99.9% of everyone, they are more attracted to "eye candy" and "cool" features that you can get out of the box.  Take a gs4/one with touchwiz/sense and a gs4/one with stock jellybean and ask a thousand random strangers to pick one and could guarantee that every single person will pick the version with added UI.  In this scenario if anyone picks stock android then its because thats what they specifically wanted.  Also, I am not sure what gps issues you are having but all my htc devices even when stock, never had an issue with gps performance and if it did, it was because of something I did to the phone and not htc.  Every manufacturer will have random issues with a certain percentage of devices

True. I completely again with having the "wow" factor to appeal to the masses. I feel there should be more options outside of rooting. As for the GPS issues. The evo lte and one x GPS starts up and after a few minutes stops responding and foece closes. Google now is also stating that it doesn't know your location and to turn on GPS even though all the GPS settings are already turned on. This is happening on some of the HTC one's also. I just feel the vanilla is the way to go because they upgrade better. For example, the first evo began to have horrible battery after the first major update. The evo 3d had issues when changing to ICS. The htc evo lte began to have issues after jelly bean. The galaxy s (epic) became unstable after after the first update. The galaxy s 2 (epic touch) had issues after the ICS update. The galaxy s3 began after updating to jelly Bean. Everyone who had these issues were "common" consumers and Nome tech such as ourselves here. I can only assume that there will be issues when the next updates roll out to the s4 and the one. Not to mention HTC tends to lag in the update department, I have been an HTC fan for the last 4 devices so I am really hoping they get their act together and not disappear like people are claimim; not to mention their staff is jumping ship.

True. I completely again with having the "wow" factor to appeal to the masses. I feel there should be more options outside of rooting. As for the GPS issues. The evo lte and one x GPS starts up and after a few minutes stops responding and foece closes. Google now is also stating that it doesn't know your location and to turn on GPS even though all the GPS settings are already turned on. This is happening on some of the HTC one's also. I just feel the vanilla is the way to go because they upgrade better. For example, the first evo began to have horrible battery after the first major update. The evo 3d had issues when changing to ICS. The htc evo lte began to have issues after jelly bean. The galaxy s (epic) became unstable after after the first update. The galaxy s 2 (epic touch) had issues after the ICS update. The galaxy s3 began after updating to jelly Bean. Everyone who had these issues were "common" consumers and Nome tech such as ourselves here. I can only assume that there will be issues when the next updates roll out to the s4 and the one. Not to mention HTC tends to lag in the update department, I have been an HTC fan for the last 4 devices so I am really hoping they get their act together and not disappear like people are claimim; not to mention their staff is jumping ship.

No issues with gps but you will always find someone having some sort of issue with any device.  As far as updates, htc has always been pretty good with updates, the main issue with timely updates though are the carriers.  If your phone does not get updated in a reasonable amount of time, 99.9% of the time its the carriers fault.  Hell, look at the gnex on verizon, they treated that phone like it was a red headed step child.  Even the sprint version of the gnex got updated a hell of a lot faster than verizon's version.

• Like 1

You have really bad luck with getting the defective phones. I hope this time around, though, you get to experience how awesome this phone really is. 

-Luis

I love the phone! Its sprint i have the problem with. I don't know why they insist on doing everything the ass backward way. I was really nice when this happened the first few times but it was only when i went in there with the account holder and yelled at them that i got stuff done..

Any way the new one is working for now so i HOPE that this will be the end of it.

It would be interesting to see them port the Google Edition experience to CDMA HTC ONE. One can dream :P

-Luis

Economy of scale. There are more GSM carriers worldwide.

Sprint already switched from GSM to CDMA. It would be surprising to see them switch back especially since GSM is not the future.

Sprint already switched from GSM to CDMA. It would be surprising to see them switch back especially since GSM is not the future.

I think, if I read correctly, this HTC one will be us only.

I quoted the wrong post, I meant to quote the one about the GSM carriers

-Luis

Sprint already switched from GSM to CDMA.

Yes, but that was limited to a Sprint partnership in only one market.

AJ