HTC ONE user thread

jegillis

What I am seeing with the One is not bad reception, but the fact that it will not switch to 4G as easily as other phones. When it's on 4G it's great, but once it goes back to 3G it takes forever to switch back to 4G. It seems like there is a threshold in the phone where it prefers 3G if it's slightly stronger than 4G, even though 4G would be the better choice.

I might experiment with putting the One into LTE only. If I can get 4G while driving with it set that way, then I know for sure it is a software issue that needs fixing and not the network.

It may also be the scan time that once it drops LTE it doesn't look for it for a few to many minutes.

When I drove into Kansas City last weekend, I didn't touch the phone, just let it look for LTE on it's own. Without forcing a scan, it connected to LTE in pretty much the same exact place that my GS3 would. And that's without ever taking the phone to KC before, so it's not like it had a chance to "learn" the towers, if that even happens. Once I grabbed LTE, it never dropped it til I left KC.

What I am seeing with the One is not bad reception, but the fact that it will not switch to 4G as easily as other phones. When it's on 4G it's great, but once it goes back to 3G it takes forever to switch back to 4G. It seems like there is a threshold in the phone where it prefers 3G if it's slightly stronger than 4G, even though 4G would be the better choice.

I might experiment with putting the One into LTE only. If I can get 4G while driving with it set that way, then I know for sure it is a software issue that needs fixing and not the network.

Can you adjust the amount of time it takes to search for signal in the engineering screen?

The LTE Scan Time was set to 300 on my phone. As I understand it, the most recent update for the Evo LTE adjusted that to 5.

I adjusted my LTE scan time to 5 and I will report my results. The adjustment can be made on the ##DATA# screen. You will need your MSL, but it's not hard to get (there's a thread on XDA for how to get that).

The LTE Scan Time was set to 300 on my phone. As I understand it, the most recent update for the Evo LTE adjusted that to 5.

I adjusted my LTE scan time to 5 and I will report my results. The adjustment can be made on the ##DATA# screen. You will need your MSL, but it's not hard to get (there's a thread on XDA for how to get that).

Where is the thread? I have tried some "get my MSL" apps but they keep failing.

You have to be rooted to get your MSL with an app.

I called up Sprint and asked, and they gave it to me right away. Sometimes it takes a couple tries. They won't give it to you over chat.

The other option is to swap out phones if you have more than one. When you activate a new phone online, they email you the MSL, though they don't tell you that's what it is.

You don't need root for this one that I used. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2254578

As a side note, I changed my LTE Scan from 300 to 5 and drove into Gray today. I held 4G the entire time in Gray this time even while I was driving, unlike last time. I put the phone in my pocket and it went down to 3G. When I took it back out, it picked up 4G in 20 seconds. Not nearly as bad as it was before, although this is just 1 trip and is anecdotal evidence (also not raining this time either).

You don't need root for this one that I used. http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=2254578

As a side note, I changed my LTE Scan from 300 to 5 and drove into Gray today. I held 4G the entire time in Gray this time even while I was driving, unlike last time. I put the phone in my pocket and it went down to 3G. When I took it back out, it picked up 4G in 20 seconds. Not nearly as bad as it was before, although this is just 1 trip and is anecdotal evidence (also not raining this time either).

does adjusting to 5 have an ill effect on battery life?

So, do we have an ETA on when the one will get android 4.2? Or if we will get it?

It really shouldn't be too long at all, there is a leak of android 4.2.2 with sense 5.1 over on xda.

• Like 1

end of life for the device

Ahhh. I'm hoping HTC is better about the updates since this is basically the first time they standardized a phone on multiple US carriers(I think they will). Considering that was a large complaint among us rather "techy" people.

Ahhh. I'm hoping HTC is better about the updates since this is basically the first time they standardized a phone on multiple US carriers(I think they will). Considering that was a large complaint among us rather "techy" people.

i have no doubt we will have it before Christmas

Ok, so one quirk I noticed with the phone is that when I completely toggle off the WiFi antenna using the WiFi widget, after a few minutes, all my data connections are shut off.

Several times, I toggled Air Plane Mode, and was able to briefly restore my data connection. Each time, however, a few minutes later, my data connections would shut down again. Once I turned the WiFi antenna back on, the phone instantly reconnected to 3G.

Personally, I think it has something to do with the Sprint Connection Optimizer software embedded in the phone.

Just so everyone is clear, I am all for using WiFi as much as possible, and do usually.

On Friday, however, I decided to manually shut off WiFi because since I cannot connect my phone to the encrypted office WiFi, I thought it might save some battery if the phone did not try to repeatedly connect to the office WiFi.

It's no big deal, I just think it is odd that the WiFi antenna must be left on to be able to connect to mobile data.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Need some help.

Got a new HTC One. Does this have a screen similar to Samsung's LTE Engineering screen?

Sent from my Sprint HTC One

I am not sure about the key sequence, but I know you can get to the Engineering screen with this app...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blueline.signalcheck

• Like 1

Ok, so one quirk I noticed with the phone is that when I completely toggle off the WiFi antenna using the WiFi widget, after a few minutes, all my data connections are shut off.

Several times, I toggled Air Plane Mode, and was able to briefly restore my data connection. Each time, however, a few minutes later, my data connections would shut down again. Once I turned the WiFi antenna back on, the phone instantly reconnected to 3G.

Personally, I think it has something to do with the Sprint Connection Optimizer software embedded in the phone.

Just so everyone is clear, I am all for using WiFi as much as possible, and do usually.

On Friday, however, I decided to manually shut off WiFi because since I cannot connect my phone to the encrypted office WiFi, I thought it might save some battery if the phone did not try to repeatedly connect to the office WiFi.

It's no big deal, I just think it is odd that the WiFi antenna must be left on to be able to connect to mobile data.

Yeah i have been having problems with wifi not connecting at all until i reset the router its only happened a few times but its really annoying. Also i hate that it kills the data connection all the time!

I have not seen this at all? When I am not at home or work I turn WiFi off so that it does not try to latch onto some random open WiFi network, and my network data still works just fine. I don't use the built in WiFi switch though, I use the SwitchPro widget.

I turn my wifi off at the office for a similar reason. I haven't had this issue, though. I generally toggle it from the "Power control" widget which I believe is a native Android widget.