What will Sprint do with Clearwire now that it owns it?

newgroundsguru

I agree.  I think Sprint should offer a rural home ISP service.  One 20MHz carrier on rural sites can carry bootloads of rural customers.  The site next to my home in New Mexico would be greatly under utilized with a 20MHz TDD carrier.  At worst, it would probably run 10% of capacity.  However, the only terra-based ISP you can get in that area is Windstream DSL limited to 3-12Mbps, depending on how far you are from the DSLAM.  Sprint could sell a great service to those people without sacrificing performance to the mobile customers.

Robert

Robert, this is exactly what I hope would have happened with the Sprint/Clearwire merger, though I'm loosing faith. I'm about to live 1000 feet from a Sprint tower in a very rural area and I cannot get cable or DSL there. With Millenicom going under and Wireless n' Wifi downgrading their plan, my only decent option is the $120 a month EVDO Depot plan (I can't do satellite due to VPN). Sprint has boatloads of capacity in rural markets and I hope they bring something to the table similar to what Clearwire did with home ISP. I would rather have an unlimited 2-3Mbps connection than a blazing fast LTE connection that's metered (Verizon's Home Connect is a poor value for 30GB at $120 a month). C'mon Sprint!

• 1 month later...

Wow,, so it looks like Sprint is going to move all the home broadband to the "evil" dish and share the 2.5Ghz LTE with them and the sprint phones.

Wonder how all that's going to work out.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57615867-94/sprint-dish-to-test-rollout-of-new-wireless-broadband-service/