What will Sprint do with Clearwire now that it owns it?

newgroundsguru

Clear would've had way more subscribers if it aimed the service to people that live outside of the cities, where people always have a choice.

People outside the cities have little to no choice, but it might not have been affordable for Clear to service these people.

Providing affordable fixed services is an integral part of a BRS spectrum license. I don't see why you call it expensive, a piece of Cellular 850 or even PCS is far more valuable.The entire point of the 2500/2600 block is that it is easy to use for high capacity fixed broadband services. Mobile use was never part of the equation until Sprint was granted an exception for Xohm WiMAX, although they (and Clearwire) were required to provide fixed services at prices relatively competitive with wired connections. This requirement has not been removed, so I do expect to see an affordable fixed solutions in the near future.

The solution is relatively inexpensive.. Considering the alternative (s)

-Will-

It's like Verizon and AT&T with the open access stipulation on their 700MHz spectrum. Like it or not, they are required to both allow all compatible devices to operate, and to allow data connections on all connected devices to be used in any manner and to access any connectable content or services without carrier interference.

Not quite.  That stipulation applies only to the Upper 700 MHz C block licenses, and VZW is the sole license holder in the 50 states. AT&T in Lower 700 MHz spectrum is currently unencumbered by open access requirements.  Otherwise, the band 12/17 kerfuffle probably never would have happened.

AJ

Not quite. That stipulation applies only to the Upper 700 MHz C block licenses, and VZW is the sole license holder in the 50 states. AT&T in Lower 700 MHz spectrum is currently unencumbered by open access requirements. Otherwise, the band 12/17 kerfuffle probably never would have happened.

AJ

Interesting. Ok then.

I've been with Clearwire since '07 when it launched in Seattle with its "Expedience" network...

What will become of us? Will we be let go?

Given I shoddy replacement?

I'm not too worried, GigabitSeattle FiOS will be here by December, and i can switch to that at $45 per month @ 100Mbps up and down...

I love the portability aspect of my Clear Modem with Wi-Fi, I want to stay mobile. With 'Unlimited' attached to it.

Is that so hard?

What exactly are they doing with Clearwire's equipment? Are they reusing some/all of the antennas, basestation equipment? Some of the basestations were a software upgrade away from hosting LTE.

Edited by bigsnake49

What exactly are they doing with Clearwire's equipment? Are they reusing some/all of the antennas, basestation equipment? Some of the basestations were a software upgrade away from hosting LTE.

The RRUs will need to be replaced to support TD-LTE and in some cases the antennas will need to be replaced especially if they are really old as in if they were one of the first Wimax markets. 

The base station equipment, backhaul and the majority of the antennas will be reused for TD-LTE.  Now I think for colocated Sprint/Clearwire sites, I expect Sprint to move all the Clearwire equipment in the Clearwire base station to the Network Vision base station cabinets for simplicity and use the same backhaul for the Network Vision equipment so Sprint can shed the Clearwire microwave backhaul costs.

The RRUs will need to be replaced to support TD-LTE and in some cases the antennas will need to be replaced especially if they are really old as in if they were one of the first Wimax markets. 

The base station equipment, backhaul and the majority of the antennas will be reused for TD-LTE.  Now I think for colocated Sprint/Clearwire sites, I expect Sprint to move all the Clearwire equipment in the Clearwire base station to the Network Vision base station cabinets for simplicity and use the same backhaul for the Network Vision equipment so Sprint can shed the Clearwire microwave backhaul costs.

I'm assuming that's probably what is going to happen to the colocated sites. and I am assuming that the Clear sites that are not will remain and upgraded to TD-LTE. Similarly Spint sites with no colocated Clearwire equipment will be upgraded to support 2.6GHz equipment.

I'm assuming that's probably what is going to happen to the colocated sites. and I am assuming that the Clear sites that are not will remain and upgraded to TD-LTE. Similarly Spint sites with no colocated Clearwire equipment will be upgraded to support 2.6GHz equipment.

Yes Clearwire towers that are not colocated with Sprint will still use the same Clearwire base stations, backhaul and antennas.  All they need to do is switch out the RRU for TD-LTE and maybe add a carrier card.

I'm not happy.

I have a Clear Modem Series M (Motorola) that I use in my home. I'm happy with the speeds that I get and the service plan that I have. Basically it is $50.35 for unlimited. Approximately 1Mbps up and up to 6Mbps down (although my download is usually more like half of that or less).

I say I'm not happy because I'm afraid Sprint will kill my plan. I like it. My only other option is Verison DSL with 1.1 - 3.3 down and only 384 up. That's a really slow up.

I got Clear because of the decent enough speeds (better than the DSL available in my area) and the fact that it is unlimited data.

Looking at my usage over the last 3 months I averaged 329GB per month.

That would be impossible under any of the Sprint plans so if they phase out Clear and my service plan then I'm screwed.

Sigh

Edited by KingWolf
  • Like 1

I'm not happy.

I have a Clear Modem Series M (Motorola) that I use in my home. I'm happy with the speeds that I get and the service plan that I have. Basically it is $50.35 for unlimited. Approximately 1Mbps up and up to 6Mbps down (although my download is usually more like half of that or less).

I say I'm not happy because I'm afraid Sprint will kill my plan. I like it. My only other option is Verison DSL with 1.1 - 3.3 down and only 384 up. That's a really slow up.

I got Clear because of the decent enough speeds (better than the DSL available in my area) and the fact that it is unlimited data.

That would be impossible under any of the Sprint plans so if they phase out Clear and my service plan then I'm screwed.

Sigh

I understand that you're upset but Sprint has no desire to be an ISP.

You're going to be hard-pressed nowadays to find any wireless provider that tolerates that level of usage. Heck, even Comcast plans on capping most of their subscribers at 300GB. While I agree that anybody who advertises "unlimited" should stay true to the definition of that word, Clear has had a soft cap of about 100GB for some time now, and you should consider yourself lucky that you've managed to avoid it.

Perhaps Verizon will let you combine and subscribe to two DSL lines to your house? That should give you almost the same speed, albeit at a higher price. Unless you want to cut back on usage or shell out thousands for someone to run a dedicated T-1/T-3 or MetroE connection to your house, that may be your only option. Apart from petitioning your local government to bring better broadband to your town, that is.

In any case, until sprint actually announces or does something other than redirect new clear customers to sprint, there is no need to panic, yet.

I can guarantee one thing though, they modify my current $50 unlimited plan in any negative way, they will be out a customer, not keeping or gaining a sprint one.

I'm not happy.

Sigh

I am sorry to hear about this but Sprint's priority is to ensure their mobile internet service has high quality and they can't have customers on Clear sucking up the bandwidth due to downloading and giving folks who need it on mobile to suffer.  So with that said, I support Sprint's position to kick Clear customers off to free up bandwidth for TD-LTE for Sprint mobile customers.

There isn't a cable TV and internet option where you live besides Verizon DSL?

• Like 1

I am sorry to hear about this but Sprint's priority is to ensure their mobile internet service has high quality and they can't have customers on Clear sucking up the bandwidth due to downloading and giving folks who need it on mobile to suffer.  So with that said, I support Sprint's position to kick Clear customers off to free up bandwidth for TD-LTE for Sprint mobile customers.

There isn't a cable TV and internet option where you live besides Verizon DSL?

So you are OK with Sprint buying out another company and totally fk'ing over those people so YOU can have what YOU want? Self centered some?

And before you point the finger at me I'm not doing anything wrong. Remember I signed up for a Home 4G modem with unlimited data. I haven't tried to do anything that I didn't sign up for.

No one is pointing a finger at you. As others have said, so far you still have unlimited. We will just have to wait and see what Sprint does or when.

So you are OK with Sprint buying out another company and totally fk'ing over those people so YOU can have what YOU want? Self centered some?

And before you point the finger at me I'm not doing anything wrong. Remember I signed up for a Home 4G modem with unlimited data. I haven't tried to do anything that I didn't sign up for.

Calm down there.   I am not pointing any fingers at you.  Its not your fault that Clear internet service would be going away.  The fact is that Sprint's plan for Clearwire LTE is meant for mobile use and Sprint is trying to correct that.

Yes Clearwire has offered 4G Wimax as a retail option in the past but offering 4G Wimax service in retail was one of the few reasons why Clearwire ran out of money and almost went bankrupt.  My point in my previous post is that Sprint's vision of TD-LTE service is meant for mobile use only and not for home ISP. 

There is a significant difference between using it on the go vs. as your home ISP.  On my home ISP, I download and stream a hell of a lot more content than I do on a mobile device. My only advice is to start looking for an alternate service for your home ISP because whether you like it or not the service will be going away at some point in the future.

• Like 2

Calm down there.   I am not pointing any fingers at you.  Its not your fault that Clear internet service would be going away.  The fact is that Sprint's plan for Clearwire LTE is meant for mobile use and Sprint is trying to correct that.

Yes Clearwire has offered 4G Wimax as a retail option in the past but offering 4G Wimax service in retail was one of the few reasons why Clearwire ran out of money and almost went bankrupt.  My point in my previous post is that Sprint's vision of TD-LTE service is meant for mobile use only and not for home ISP. 

There is a significant difference between using it on the go vs. as your home ISP.  On my home ISP, I download and stream a hell of a lot more content than I do on a mobile device. My only advice is to start looking for an alternate service for your home ISP because whether you like it or not the service will be going away at some point in the future.

No, that's not the reason they went bankrupt. They went bankrupt because they thought they  needed a retail presence. They went bankrupt because they deployed Wimax in a haphazard way instead of providing a hotspot functionality for Sprint, offloading Sprint traffic.

I still want to hear how Sprint will take advantage of 160Mhz they have on 2.6GHz. They might use up 40Mhz on purely mobile devices. What are they going to do with the rest? I expect some kind of a deal with Dish or AT&T or Verizon for the rest.

Edited by bigsnake49