Network Vision, range extended?

Hello. I'm new to the board. I live in extreme southern San Diego county. I apologize if this has been asked before (I searched a bit before). With NV, can I expect an extended range of a cell site? The reason I ask is that where I live, I seem to be in a "fair" zone in terms of coverage. I receive a signal, but it seams like it is not too strong. If I hold the phone to my head, I will consistently drop. If I am using a Bluetooth and not holding the phone, I am usually okay. I am currently with page plus and am considering switching back with all this good news I keep hearing.

Thanks and I am enjoying this site.

Hello. I'm new to the board. I live in extreme southern San Diego county. I apologize if this has been asked before (I searched a bit before). With NV, can I expect an extended range of a cell site? The reason I ask is that where I live, I seem to be in a "fair" zone in terms of coverage. I receive a signal, but it seams like it is not too strong. If I hold the phone to my head, I will consistently drop. If I am using a Bluetooth and not holding the phone, I am usually okay. I am currently with page plus and am considering switching back with all this good news I keep hearing.

Thanks and I am enjoying this site.

pageplus runs on Verizon network...buy a 30 buck phone on Virgin and try it out

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Network Vision sites can have upwards of 20% extended range (at no downtilt, which is where they aim the panels lower to help split cell sites; most sites have some downtilt).

Once CDMA ESMR 800 MHz rolls out (the old Nextel band, re-banded for Sprint), you'll almost certainly have great voice coverage. Don't expect fantastic data speeds while in a "fair" area, though, as 4G LTE won't be rolled out on 800 for some time, and you'll need a device that supports it (and none currently exist).

Not so fast with the improvement talk, folks. baba booey self discloses that he lives in extreme southern San Diego County. That places him practically right on top of the border with Mexico. As such, SMR 800 MHz may not be forthcoming anytime soon. And, depending upon his actual proximity to the international boundary, PCS 1900 MHz may remain weak because of field strength limits.

AJ

• Like 3

I am in a "valley" so to speak, approximately 2 miles from the border (off of the 905 freeway). There are spots near me, that are closer to the actual border, that have a more reliable connection. Very interesting info guys.

As for "tilts" are there any pics here I can find, and see examples of this?

As for "tilts" are there any pics here I can find, and see examples of this?

Big tilts or small tilts?

AJ

• Like 9

My understanding is that in the border zones (at least where the agreements are finalized) Sprint can use all of its ESMR spectrum, but there are strict bleed-over limits on US-side use of the spectrum that's allocated to Mexico and Canada, so it will take some extra RF engineering to utilize all of ESMR; it wouldn't surprise me if Sprint had to put separate directional antennas up for ESMR, for example, in these areas. They may be able to squeeze in 1X easier since the bleed-over limits on US-priority parts of the ESMR spectrum are easier to meet.

Once they install the new gear and panels, you should expect better signal. I found on the corner of 805/94 freeway going towards Euclid Ave there is a dead zone on the freeway so you drop your calls. Now that NV has been completed between the 2 sites along the freeway with new panels up, I am assuming they had changed or improved the tilts. My phone does not drop to no less than 3 bars from that dead zone. Much improvement from my experience. From no bars dead zone to 3 bars. :)

• Like 1

Once they install the new gear and panels, you should expect better signal. I found on the corner of 805/94 freeway going towards Euclid Ave there is a dead zone on the freeway so you drop your calls. Now that NV has been completed between the 2 sites along the freeway with new panels up, I am assuming they had changed or improved the tilts. My phone does not drop to no less than 3 bars from that dead zone. Much improvement from my experience. From no bars dead zone to 3 bars. :)

Cool. I have noticed that in various spots in the county the network seems to be a lot more responsive compared to years past.

• Like 1

The sensorly app is real cool (as you guys already know). I've been able to map areas that have had no mapping. Out of curiosity, does this app use a lot of data?

Not really unless you constantly view the map itself in the app. If you are worried about data then have it only upload on wifi. But I always worry if something happens I might lose all my points that I drove around to snag.

Sent from my little Note2

Not really unless you constantly view the map itself in the app. If you are worried about data then have it only upload on wifi. But I always worry if something happens I might lose all my points that I drove around to snag.

Sent from my little Note2

Cool. Good to know. Thanks.

I notice at my house, sensorly's detail tab shows me switching between eHRPD and 1x. What does that mean in a nutshell?

You keep dropping from 3G (EVDO) to 1xRTT instead. eHRPD is the 3G EVDO software layer that takes your EVDO and transmits it through the 4G core instead to maintain your IP as you switch between the 3G and 4G networks, among other things. This way as you switch between networks, your data session doesn't stop and need to be established again, it will simply continue on at a faster or lower speed depending what network switch you made.

-103 dBm 16asu

Yeah, you have only marginal signal. For CDMA1X and EV-DO, anything -100 dBm and below is relatively poor signal strength; anything above tends to be fine.

AJ