Modified Ericsson RRU's

It's more about future-proofing the network ahead of time.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

How is a 10x10 channel future proofing the network? It is just a wider carrier, the only real point I see is to allow an under utilized sector to give a smaller number of users higher bandwidth. I would much rather see multiple 5x5 channels...

The same reason that two guys with 5 inch penises do not equal one guy with a 10 inch penis. And LTE is a penis measuring contest, right?

;)

AJ

pretty sure you hit the nail on the head with that one...

By good chunk of LTE devices you really just mean the Samsung devices only. The Motorola, HTC and LG devices have all supported 5 and 10 MHz LTE bandwidths. I understand for the time being that 5 MHz LTE bandwidths are what Sprint will be deploying for additional capacity. With LTE Advanced, you don't need to have a 10x10 of contiguous spectrum that you are argue is needed to create a 10x10 LTE carrier. The idea is that you can take two 5x5 LTE carriers from different spectrum (Ex: 800 and 1900 MHz)and aggregate them to create a fatter pipe. This to me is something that I can see as feasible for Sprint in the future if they so choose to. With RRUs only able to support 5 MHz bandwidths this is a limitation that does not allow for future growth. I can see not needed to test 15 and 20 MHz bandwidths but 10 MHz bandwidth is in no way out of the question.

I don't really agree with trying to create a fatter pipe from two different pieces of spectrum. If you are connected to SMR, it is because you don't have access to PCS (distance or obstruction). I'm not sure on LTE-A, but if sprint aggregated PCS and SMR, then you leave PCS coverage, can you use just the 5x5 SMR LTE on its own? Once again, it just seems like a "measuring contest" to get 10x10Mhz.

I don't really agree with trying to create a fatter pipe from two different pieces of spectrum. If you are connected to SMR, it is because you don't have access to PCS (distance or obstruction). I'm not sure on LTE-A, but if sprint aggregated PCS and SMR, then you leave PCS coverage, can you use just the 5x5 SMR LTE on its own? Once again, it just seems like a "measuring contest" to get 10x10Mhz.

The point was that you could aggregate two 5x5 carriers to create a 10x10 carrier. Sure the 5x5 SMR LTE carrier should stay on its own to provide better indoor coverage and I would not aggregate with a PCS LTE carrier. Call it a bad example if you want. You pointed out saying that Sprint would never do 10x10 because in many places it didn't have a 10x10 of contiguous spectrum. What I am trying to say is that you don't need a 10x10 of contiguous spectrum to deploy a 10x10 LTE carrier in the future because LTE Advanced allows you to aggregate two 5x5 carriers in non-contiguous spectrum to create a 10x10 carrier.

I would make the argument that you can make a 10x10 LTE carrier from two 5x5 carriers in the PCS spectrum (one from PCS D and one from the PCS E block which are not contiguous). Again call it a "measuring contest" or what not but the point is that in anything that Sprint has planned for the future needs to have flexibility. What Sprint decides to end up doing, we don't know but to assume it will "never" happen is absurd. I wouldn't look at what Samsung did with its 5 MHz bandwidths as a measuring stick to what Sprint has planned for the future. Obviously the HTC, Motorola and LG phones were tested for 5 and 10 MHz bandwidths for a reason. If there were absolutely no plans for the future for 10 MHz bandwidths then it wouldn't have been tested in the first place.

How many CDMA/EVDO/LTE carriers can a RRU and the antenna panel handle at one time? Its certainly not an unlimited number of carriers.

4 per RRU according to the FCC docs. And of course they are mix and match. So in rural areas they can deploy 1 or 2 CDMA voice carriers, 1 EVDO and 1 LTE carrier.

4 per RRU according to the FCC docs. And of course they are mix and match. So in rural areas they can deploy 1 or 2 CDMA voice carriers, 1 EVDO and 1 LTE carrier.

Interesting information. I assume the antenna panel must be able to handle at least 8 CDMA/EVDO/LTE carriers since I believe each tower has 2 RRUs for each antenna panel.

The point was that you could aggregate two 5x5 carriers to create a 10x10 carrier. Sure the 5x5 SMR LTE carrier should stay on its own to provide better indoor coverage and I would not aggregate with a PCS LTE carrier. Call it a bad example if you want. You pointed out saying that Sprint would never do 10x10 because in many places it didn't have a 10x10 of contiguous spectrum. What I am trying to say is that you don't need a 10x10 of contiguous spectrum to deploy a 10x10 LTE carrier in the future because LTE Advanced allows you to aggregate two 5x5 carriers in non-contiguous spectrum to create a 10x10 carrier.

I would make the argument that you can make a 10x10 LTE carrier from two 5x5 carriers in the PCS spectrum (one from PCS D and one from the PCS E block which are not contiguous). Again call it a "measuring contest" or what not but the point is that in anything that Sprint has planned for the future needs to have flexibility. What Sprint decides to end up doing, we don't know but to assume it will "never" happen is absurd. I wouldn't look at what Samsung did with its 5 MHz bandwidths as a measuring stick to what Sprint has planned for the future. Obviously the HTC, Motorola and LG phones were tested for 5 and 10 MHz bandwidths for a reason. If there were absolutely no plans for the future for 10 MHz bandwidths then it wouldn't have been tested in the first place.

I just doubled checked my posts to ensure my memory was correct, but I did not say that Sprint would "never" use a 10x10 channel, everything I stated was about the current and near future environment. Given that Sprint's current LTE implementation is not LTE-A, but LTE Rev9, the only possible way that a 10x10 carrier could be implemented would be in contiguous spectrum. I never mentioned LTE-A because it is like talking about cold fusion. It will be great if/when it gets here, but until then it is pie in the sky. Speculating about all the possibilities of LTE-A in the next 5 - 10 years is kind of pointless right now as there aren't even chipsets that support all aspects to be considered LTE-A yet. No current Sprint LTE device is capable of utilizing carrier aggregation, heck the NV build out isn't even 1/3rd complete. Once Sprint has devices that can support CA and the NV build out is complete, and Sprint announces that it is actively upgrading towers to LTE-A (rev 10 or 11?), then we can debate the merits of 10x10 LTE-A via CA in non-contiguous PCS.

Worrying about fatter pipes and having measuring contests with Verizon and AT&T wireless are pointless. Also, please read my posts better before assuming you read something...

• Like 1

Interesting information. I assume the antenna panel must be able to handle at least 8 CDMA/EVDO/LTE carriers since I believe each tower has 2 RRUs for each antenna panel.

An antenna can handle as many carriers as you hook up to it. It is just a dumb device it doesn't care whether you send gsm, cdma, LTE or whatever across it.

Sent from my little Note2

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Revive an Old Thread....I found some information on the Ericsson RRUs. Includes Tech Specs of the B25 and B26A RRUS11 Models....Check it out...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q98l9siskplqxp9/RRU%20Description%20-%20RRUS11.pdf

I think I'm mostly surprised about the Wattage....The Guys flying the RRUs said they put out 150W....All three sectors wouldn't even hit that....Maybe they're talking about all Bands/RRUs combined on a sector...(As the site I'm referring to was a 4 RRU Sector...)

• 1 month later...

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&calledFromFrame=Y&application_id=929407&fcc_id=TA8AKRC118159-1

Sprint will be swapping some of their old RRUs for the "RRUS 31 B25" in some locations now.

Looks like it will provide a little stronger signal at cell edge.  

• Like 1