Modified Ericsson RRU's

Good find. I wonder if Samsung and Alcatel Lucent RRUs are certified for 800 CDMA and LTE use.

Samsung RRU's might be, but I didn't get a chance to look at the filing. I will try to look tonight when I get home from work.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

They were called B26A's from the original filings when they were CDMA only.

So let me see if this is right, sounds like they have been installing B26As all along and simply need to push a firmware update to the RRUS since they were approved now. To fire up 800SMR LTE, all they need to do is enable it.

Need to go check my pics tonight and see if I can find the rru model numbers I have seen in the field. They usually have the 800smr filter mounted next to it though making it difficult to see.

Sent from my little Note2

So let me see if this is right, sounds like they have been installing B26As all along and simply need to push a firmware update to the RRUS since they were approved now. To fire up 800SMR LTE, all they need to do is enable it.

Sent from my little Note2

If I read the Class 2 Permissive Chance letter right, then yes, it would be a firmware update.

Where did you read that? I haven't heard of any Sprint official or unofficial comments on where they want to take Clearwire for TD-LTE deployment. The only thing I heard about TD-LTE deployment was from Clearwire which involves deploying hotzones in 31 markets.

My hope is that Sprint would take TD-LTE deployment nationwide to all major markets in the urban areas. Since Clearwire only has ~16 K towers nationwide, the only way I can see Sprint trying to achieve this is through deploying TD-LTE on its own Network Vision towers where it already has the tower leases and backhaul set up in markets where Wimax is not currently covered.

That's what I was referring to. Not Clearwire but Sprint.

I found another one for 800CDMA/800LTE. Made by KMW. I'm going to assume it's AlcaLu's 800 RRU, (and I'm right because on the external photos I found AlcaLu's logo on a sticker.)

Original Filing (External Photos pg 5 has the Alcatel Lucent logo on a serial number sticker)

Modified Filing (Enables LTE by a software upgrade) (Cover Letter is the Class 2 permissive change authorization request)

• Like 4

Good find. I wonder if Samsung and Alcatel Lucent RRUs are certified for 800 CDMA and LTE use.

I forgot to Quote you on Alcatel Lucent's, but here is Samsung's:

Original

1st Modification (Enables LTE)

2nd Modification (Adds support for 3MHz LTE carrier bandwidth)

• Like 1

Now for the rub... where's the RRUS11 B25 mixed use? Seems if they did it for the B26A they could do it for that one. They would still need 3 and sometimes 4 RRUs though but would offer more flexibility.

Once again Josh you are DA MAN!!! Great finds for the Samsung and Alcatel Lucent RRUs. I live in a Alcatel Lucent market so I hope they start pumping out the firmware update to upgrade these Alcatel Lucent RRUs when they do new Network Vision installs so that it will be ready to begin deploying 800 MHz LTE later on this year.

• Like 1

Now for the rub... where's the RRUS11 B25 mixed use? Seems if they did it for the B26A they could do it for that one. They would still need 3 and sometimes 4 RRUs though but would offer more flexibility.

Here you go:

Original (RRUS 11 B25 was LTE only)

1st mod (Adds Dual LTE/CDMA use)

2nd mod (Adds 10Mhz & 15MHz channel bandwidth's to LTE use)

3rd mod (Adds 3MHz & 20MHz channel bandwidth's to LTE use)

• Like 1

Once again Josh you are DA MAN!!! Great finds for the Samsung and Alcatel Lucent RRUs. I live in a Alcatel Lucent market so I hope they start pumping out the firmware update to upgrade these Alcatel Lucent RRUs when they do new Network Vision installs so that it will be ready to begin deploying 800 MHz LTE later on this year.

I sure hope they do too soon. It's exciting to see everything is ready for LTE 800. Just install a carrier card and go. I'm sure by the time they are ready to start LTE 800 deployment, they will get the 800 RRU's updated.

Here you go:

Looks like it was added int 2012/08 on the 2nd mod. Nice find indeed!!! The third mod for 3 mhz on PCS is also interesting. AJ? What say you.

Permissive Change request for this Remote Radio Unit (RRUS11 B25) is to include following, specified in Exhibit 12:

1) To include Channel Bandwidth 10 and 15 MHz for LTE.

2) Support MSR (Multi Standard Radio) This Remote Radio Unit (RRUS 11 B25) have the ability to receive and transmits two or more carriers simultaneously, where at least one carrier is of a different RAT (Radio Access Technology). This RU supports MSR with CDMA and LTE.

3) Supports NCS (None-Contiguous Spectrum). This Remote Radio Unit (RRUS 11 B25) supports spectrum consisting of two or more sub-blocks separated by sub-block gap(s).

Here you go:

Wow!!! I wonder if Samsung and Alcatel RRUs are able to support 10, 15 and 20 MHz channel bandwidths for LTE use. I am sure you can find this information.

Wow!!! I wonder if Samsung and Alcatel RRUs are able to support 10, 15 and 20 MHz channel bandwidths for LTE use. I am sure you can find this information.

I will look tonight before I go to bed. I'll be out working until 8 tonight.

Alcatel Lucent's is only capable of 5MHz LTE carriers at this point, and Samsung can do 5MHz & 10MHz on one after a Class 2 Permissive Change, and 5 & 10MHz on another from the original filing.

Alcatel Lucent's is only capable of 5MHz LTE carriers at this point, and Samsung can do 5MHz & 10MHz on one after a Class 2 Permissive Change, and 5 & 10MHz on another from the original filing.

I am kinda shocked that Sprint didn't request that all the OEMs RRUs be tested for 5 and 10 MHz channel bandwidths. I can understand not needing to test 15 and 20 MHz channel bandwidths since that wouldn't occur until several years from now or if ever but I don't think that 10 MHz channel bandwidths would have been too far fetched for the near future. It seems like it wouldn't be too difficult for Alcatel Lucent to add 10 MHz channel bandwidth support with a Class 2 Permissive Change request on its RRU. With Alcatel Lucent covering some of the largest metro areas in the US, they will definitely need to be able to support 10 MHz channel bandwidths.

I am kinda shocked that Sprint didn't request that all the OEMs RRUs be tested for 5 and 10 MHz channel bandwidths. I can understand not needing to test 15 and 20 MHz channel bandwidths since that wouldn't occur until several years from now or if ever but I don't think that 10 MHz channel bandwidths would have been too far fetched for the near future. It seems like it wouldn't be too difficult for Alcatel Lucent to add 10 MHz channel bandwidth support with a Class 2 Permissive Change request on its RRU. With Alcatel Lucent covering some of the largest metro areas in the US, they will definitely need to be able to support 10 MHz channel bandwidths.

Ericsson is best prepared for future proofing their region for Network Vision. Remember, their maintenance contract does extend beyond the completion of Network Vision. They got smart. Samsung came along 2nd and modified theirs, and I'm sure that Alcatel Lucent can upgrade theirs as well with the C2PC.

A good chunk of the Sprint LTE devices are only certified for 5Mhz LTE Channels. 5x5 LTE is not going anywhere and will probably be the Sprint norm for SMR and PCS spectrum. My guess is that only larger channels will be in the BRS spectrum, but that is TD, not FD, so apples and oranges. Sprint can clean up 10Mhz of PCS A-F for an additional 5x5 PCS LTE carrier in many markets according to AJs data in other posts. However, I don't think Sprint has an available 20mhz contiguous PCS that is unused for 10x10 FD LTE.

Why are so many people on this forum hung up on 10x10 Mhz LTE? Two 5x5Mhz LTE carriers can support the same number of users, just a half the theoretical max bandwidth.

A good chunk of the Sprint LTE devices are only certified for 5Mhz LTE Channels. 5x5 LTE is not going anywhere and will probably be the Sprint norm for SMR and PCS spectrum. My guess is that only larger channels will be in the BRS spectrum, but that is TD, not FD, so apples and oranges. Sprint can clean up 10Mhz of PCS A-F for an additional 5x5 PCS LTE carrier in many markets according to AJs data in other posts. However, I don't think Sprint has an available 20mhz contiguous PCS that is unused for 10x10 FD LTE.

Why are so many people on this forum hung up on 10x10 Mhz LTE? Two 5x5Mhz LTE carriers can support the same number of users, just a half the theoretical max bandwidth.

It's more about future-proofing the network ahead of time.

• Like 1

The same reason that two guys with 5 inch penises do not equal one guy with a 10 inch penis. And LTE is a penis measuring contest, right?

;)

AJ

• Like 6

I am kinda shocked that Sprint didn't request that all the OEMs RRUs be tested for 5 and 10 MHz channel bandwidths. I can understand not needing to test 15 and 20 MHz channel bandwidths since that wouldn't occur until several years from now or if ever but I don't think that 10 MHz channel bandwidths would have been too far fetched for the near future.

The Samsung devices are the 5 MHz FDD sticklers. So, blame Samsung?

Regardless, I do not know why they were not tested for 10 MHz FDD as well. But this is really much ado about nothing. For Sprint, 10 MHz FDD is a pipe dream. It will not be possible within the lifespan of 95 percent of these devices.

AJ

• Like 1

By good chunk of LTE devices you really just mean the Samsung devices only. The Motorola, HTC and LG devices have all supported 5 and 10 MHz LTE bandwidths. I understand for the time being that 5 MHz LTE bandwidths are what Sprint will be deploying for additional capacity. With LTE Advanced, you don't need to have a 10x10 of contiguous spectrum that you are argue is needed to create a 10x10 LTE carrier. The idea is that you can take two 5x5 LTE carriers from different spectrum (Ex: 800 and 1900 MHz)and aggregate them to create a fatter pipe. This to me is something that I can see as feasible for Sprint in the future if they so choose to. With RRUs only able to support 5 MHz bandwidths this is a limitation that does not allow for future growth. I can see not needed to test 15 and 20 MHz bandwidths but 10 MHz bandwidth is in no way out of the question.