Network Vision/LTE - Minnesota Market

CuriousTim

2nd post in minnesota premier thread. Green pin means user confirmed. http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5847-premier-sponsor-map-for-the-minnesota-market/?p=311040

Sprint maps can be over shown but you were saying about going past sites and seeing strong 3g. Sensorly is user measured data showing someones phone connected to lte going up that road.

Phones can wait up to 30 minutes to scan for lte to save battery. Streaming used to keep phones on 3g until idle but people said that has changed. If I see 3g I will toggle airplane mode to make the phone scan faster instead of waiting.

Going up that way doing airplane seems pointless as LTE doesn't stay.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2nd post in minnesota premier thread. Green pin means user confirmed. http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5847-premier-sponsor-map-for-the-minnesota-market/?p=311040

Phones can wait up to 30 minutes to scan for lte to save battery. Streaming used to keep phones on 3g until idle but people said that has changed. If I see 3g I will toggle airplane mode to make the phone scan faster instead of waiting.

I can confirm that my iPhone 6S transitions to LTE, even during an active data session.

Going up that way doing airplane seems pointless as LTE doesn't stay.

There are other options like rooting your phone and run lte discovery or change your lte scan timer to scan sooner. There did not look like a lot of holes on sensorly but a couple weak spots where a weak rf phone would lose connection but lte looks near continuous. Meaning a quick airplane mode would give another 10+ minutes of streaming on lte.
  • Like 1

Sprint maps can be over shown but you were saying about going past sites and seeing strong 3g. Sensorly is user measured data showing someones phone connected to lte going up that road.

Hasn't changed with my phone if users said that has changed. Maybe I need newer phone.

Hasn't changed with my phone if users said that has changed. Maybe I need newer phone.

The coverage going to North has nothing to do with the phone. Sprint needs few new towers going that way.

The coverage going to North has nothing to do with the phone. Sprint needs few new towers going that way.

Tower spacing would have to be 20 miles in between sites to run into issues with distances and they are not that far spread out. Wasting money to build sites that are not needed is nothing more than a waste.

mnjeepmale if you have a note 5 I would wait to upgrade. There are other things you can do like change the settings in your phone first. Then if you connect to a weak signal you could get a signal booster like Wilson sleek but they only boost signals that are there. So you would have to see at least a weak signal before you drop money on it.

If you live in an area with lte you can call sprint a couple times to get a MSL to change how long in between lte scans.

Tower spacing would have to be 20 miles in between sites to run into issues with distances and they are not that far spread out. Wasting money to build sites that are not needed is nothing more than a waste.

mnjeepmale if you have a note 5 I would wait to upgrade. There are other things you can do like change the settings in your phone first. Then if you connect to a weak signal you could get a signal booster like Wilson sleek but they only boost signals that are there. So you would have to see at least a weak signal before you drop money on it.

If you live in an area with lte you can call sprint a couple times to get a MSL to change how long in between lte scans.

How's it a waste when att, VZW , T-Mobile all have non stop LTE without having to do a thing to your phone but, Sprint only gets 3G?

How's it a waste when att, VZW , T-Mobile all have non stop LTE without having to do a thing to your phone but, Sprint only gets 3G?

If sprint was only 3g how did we get the GCI for the towers? How does sensorly and rootmetrics both have lte collected data? The only way is that LTE is live there. There is no other explanation to explain how that data was collected other than sprint has LTE live there. 

If sprint was only 3g how did we get the GCI for the towers? How does sensorly and rootmetrics both have lte collected data? The only way is that LTE is live there. There is no other explanation to explain how that data was collected other than sprint has LTE live there.

Their is LTE but, it's spotty. I've been up 35 many times. Unless the data was taken from the beginning of 35 where LTE starts out good until you get outside the metro part.

30a91e39a6c0ab44473f1e4d0701b593.jpg This looks pretty weak in some parts.

Their is LTE but, it's spotty. I've been up 35 many times. Unless the data was taken from the beginning of 35 where LTE starts out good until you get outside the metro part.

If someones device was stuck and it showed on sensorly. It would be one signal strength not changing as they go by sites on their way north. 

This looks pretty weak in some parts.

And it looks like lte to me not "only gets 3g".

• Like 1

If someones device was stuck and it showed on sensorly. It would be one signal strength not changing as they go by sites on their way north. 

And it looks like lte to me not "only gets 3g".

There is some exaggeration going on here. Due to terrain and perhaps poor site set up, LTE does not make the gap between each tower along I-35. There is certainly LTE on the sites in question, but the coverage from those sites is not ideal.

• Like 1

There is some exaggeration going on here. Due to terrain and perhaps poor site set up, LTE does not make the gap between each tower along I-35. There is certainly LTE on the sites in question, but the coverage from those sites is not ideal.

Just because, I'm curious David. For if new towers ever go up 35. Is there a point where Sprint pcs holdings are like Duluth? Where 10x10 is possible.

I will drop it and post my new lte data for the market in the premier thread when I get a chance. But if the next time I am in St Paul and the "Sprints garbage because there is no lte" continues and I will bring it back up that sensorly and rootmetrics both show 99% lte on that road. 

I will drop it and post my new lte data for the market in the premier thread when I get a chance. But if the next time I am in St Paul and the "Sprints garbage because there is no lte" continues and I will bring it back up that sensorly and rootmetrics both show 99% lte on that road. 

I'm dropping this as well. All I'm saying is that when a regular Sprint customer is making that trip and they notice 3G on half their trip doesn't make a good impression.

• Like 1

And let's not forget that some phones just don't like to reconnect to LTE. Especially while streaming. And as we all know, some phones have stronger reception. This could all be in play here why there could be vastly different experiences while driving I-35 N.

Way back when, the Verizon Note 3 was God Awful on reception. One of the worst phones ever. My boss hated it and swore up and down that VZW LTE was awful. When he would lose LTE (which was all the time because of the poor B13 reception), it didn't want to reconnect. That phone was a dog on VZW. Where my work iPhone was great in the same places on the same network. If my iPhone laid Sensorly tracks, it would have shown continuous coverage. His would have been erratic.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

And let's not forget that some phones just don't like to reconnect to LTE. Especially while streaming. And as we all know, some phones have stronger reception. This could all be in play here why there could be vastly different experiences while driving I-35 N.

Way back when, the Verizon Note 3 was God Awful on reception. One of the worst phones ever. My boss hated it and swore up and down that VZW LTE was awful. When he would lose LTE (which was all the time because of the poor B13 reception), it didn't want to reconnect. That phone was a dog on VZW. Where my work iPhone was great in the same places on the same network. If my iPhone laid Sensorly tracks, it would have shown continuous coverage. His would have been erratic.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

Unfortunately on that Road it's been like that on most phones. Even iPhones.

• 3 weeks later...

I've sometimes seen it vary from phone to phone of the same model.  These things are cranked out by the thousands and the quality control can be "interesting."

I just drove from Rochester to Apple Valley the other day and the reception seemed pretty consistent on the way back but then again, I wasn't doing "high demand streaming" at the time.

I've sometimes seen it vary from phone to phone of the same model. These things are cranked out by the thousands and the quality control can be "interesting."

I just drove from Rochester to Apple Valley the other day and the reception seemed pretty consistent on the way back but then again, I wasn't doing "high demand streaming" at the time.

I just got this on 52 that heads down to Rochester.a58d31545aff0b9018ba8153d683f1b5.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

@Tengen31 - They really need to continue getting the Twin Cities fully covered before Duluth because we have the Super Bowl coming up at US Bank Stadium less than a year from now and I barely see 3xca throughout the Twin Cities - especially Downtown where I've only picked 3xca once and that was literally a second and then it was gone. I'm still waiting for a B41 tower to come in my home area west of the Twin Cities.....I only have B25 and B26 and both are extremely slow due to the amount of devices on the tower now.

Any more B41 plans for Duluth this year? Or at least 10x10 B25.

@Tengen31 - They really need to continue getting the Twin Cities fully covered before Duluth because we have the Super Bowl coming up at US Bank Stadium less than a year from now and I barely see 3xca throughout the Twin Cities - especially Downtown where I've only picked 3xca once and that was literally a second and then it was gone. I'm still waiting for a B41 tower to come in my home area west of the Twin Cities.....I only have B25 and B26 and both are extremely slow due to the amount of devices on the tower now.

How are you verifying 3xCA? if your using signal check pro, and seeing the tiny 3 for a second, that is not indicative of 3xCA being off and on. It just means you have connected to the 3rd carrier as PCC. In order to confirm 3xCA you would need to go into your phones engineering screen and make sure that PCC/SCC1/SCC2 are all filled and showing 3 different EARFCN.

Pretty sure Minnesota has plenty of 3XCA.

• Like 1

@nexgencpu - I always check the engineering screen to make sure CA is accurate. I know what I'm looking for.

How are you verifying 3xCA? if your using signal check pro, and seeing the tiny 3 for a second, that is not indicative of 3xCA being off and on. It just means you have connected to the 3rd carrier as PCC. In order to confirm 3xCA you would need to go into your phones engineering screen and make sure that PCC/SCC1/SCC2 are all filled and showing 3 different EARFCN.