Network Vision/LTE - Minnesota Market

CuriousTim

I was unware that Sensorly tests on the iPhone doesn't report the conditions - maybe they'll improve it.

That being said does anyone know why they opted for turning on Chanhassen/Eden Prairie and Jordan first?

My friend had a weird idea that they'd turn it on at the MSP Airport first so that visitors would know that Sprint had LTE.

The Sensorly issues is Apple not allowing access to the needed information. So unless Apple changes, Sensorly won't be able to collect information on iPhones any time soon.

As far as which towers are first, there is no plan in regards to population or strategic locations. Sprint is doing whichever tower is ready first. This means whichever tower has the planning complete, the proper permits, backhaul in place, etc. If they waited until towers were ready for a strategic deployment, we would still be waiting for the first markets to start. So while the order doesn't really make sense, it means bringing LTE to the area sooner, even if it's not in the way that people would like.

• Like 1

A new site appeared on Sensorly between Maple Grove and Corcoran, right where it was shown on our NV Sites Complete map. ;)

Robert

• Like 1

The Sensorly issues is Apple not allowing access to the needed information. So unless Apple changes, Sensorly won't be able to collect information on iPhones any time soon.

As far as which towers are first, there is no plan in regards to population or strategic locations. Sprint is doing whichever tower is ready first. This means whichever tower has the planning complete, the proper permits, backhaul in place, etc. If they waited until towers were ready for a strategic deployment, we would still be waiting for the first markets to start. So while the order doesn't really make sense, it means bringing LTE to the area sooner, even if it's not in the way that people would like.

There's a tower in the middle of Wisconsin that has LTE and its around nothing. Completed tower from what I understand.

Edited by sprintuserryan

There's a tower in the middle of Wisconsin that has LTE and its around nothing. Completed tower from what I understand.

Let us known where it is when you find out. It has never appeared in any of our update lists we receive from Sprint.

Robert

Did anyone see the new one pop up between last night late and this morning near Andover/Anoka? It looks just south of Bunker Hills Park off 242. If you take 242 and exit at University and head to Adler you should be getting LTE there.

Jordan's coverage is a bit odd - it's all near Sunset Drive and Creek Lane near the Spirit Hill cemetery.in one little section on the west side of town.

It also looks like the Eden Prarie/Chanhassen coverage has extended further east and west although it could be more people running sensory to get a bigger picture of the actual coverage.

I was out there last night and if you were near Audobon Road and highway 5 (right near Prince's Paisley Park studio) my phone practically glowed red in my hands and I was getting about 22 Mbps down and about 9 Mbps up. Very strong signal but not 100%.

Speedtest gave the location of the server as Minnetonka with GPS co-ords of 44.9800 latitude and -93.2638 longitude.

Edited by aliensporebomb

Lake susan and lake ann parks in chanhassen are netting some good speeds...20-30mbps. Coverage is pretty isolated atm to a 2-3 mile stretch outwards from hwy 5 and drops off shortly before 62 after 494 on 5. Going to be nice when more towers pop up for sure. I haven't gone further west yet to see when it drops off, i'm not sure it stretches past hwy 41.

9te6gy.png

Lake susan and lake ann parks in chanhassen are netting some good speeds...20-30mbps. Coverage is pretty isolated atm to a 2-3 mile stretch outwards from hwy 5 and drops off shortly before 62 after 494 on 5. Going to be nice when more towers pop up for sure. I haven't gone further west yet to see when it drops off, i'm not sure it stretches past hwy 41.

Thanks for your report and happy screen shot. That's decent coverage out of just one live site, all things considered. I'm glad ton see things starting to go live in the Minnesota market.

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk

If you can, download GpsFix"]GpsFix, walk up to the tower or at least go to the driveway leading to it, open GpsFix"]GpsFix let it get a fix, write down the latitude and longitude and report back with it. I'll use that to get the exact coordinates from the FCC's database and hand it off to Robert unless he gets to it before me.

Thank you for helping us out!

And we have more - looks like a large swath going west to east from 694 and Brooklyn Boulevard all the way east to 694 and 100. Then there is more farther to the east; near 694 and Central. Then the previously mentioned Bunker Hills Park blip is now a long north/south swath from just north of Blaine High School to south as far as 116th and some additional spots at 113th and 111th.

C'mon Bloomington!

• Like 1

I might check out a tower near Hugo tomorrow that is supposedly completed. I did get up to the Blaine sight today also and did a little mapping right where decahedtron said. I had to do the airplane mode thing to get the 4G, but after that my phone stayed locked on it until we went too far south.

• Like 1

Anyone know how far out of the cities area they will be going? Corcoran is like 10 miles from my house... 94 up to st. Cloud should be a pretty high priority right? Sitting here in St. Michael hoping to get some of these speeds at home soon!

Anyone know how far out of the cities area they will be going? Corcoran is like 10 miles from my house... 94 up to st. Cloud should be a pretty high priority right? Sitting here in St. Michael hoping to get some of these speeds at home soon!

Sprint has over 38,000 sites nation wide, all but about 100 (they have special site issues) are getting NV upgrades (LTE, 3G, and backhaul improvements). 80% of those the getting NV upgrades will also get the 800 mhz added and because it travels further it should cover the same areas getting main upgrades . So if you get Sprint service now its almost certain it will be a little beter on 3G signal level and speed wise and you will get LTE when its done. LTE is very signal level dependent and doesn't travel as quite as far as 3G/voice so if your in a very fringe service area that might be another issue. The weaker the LTE signal the slower your transfer too.

Starting next year sometime devices with 800 mhz LTE will be ship ready for the 800mhz LTE to come after the current round of major upgrades are done. Sites to get 800 mhz will have most all the work done already, compatible antenna and remote radio units are going up now.

Just repeating what I have read here several times. No LTE for me yet.

• Like 1

If I was sprint I would be starting roll out in smaller cities in order to test the system. Chaska/Chan would be a great place to start considering its a growing market.

I think, instead, they are rolling out 4g only in the first batch of towers, so as not to affect the existing network.

Anecdotally it seems like 3G speeds are edging upwards in recent weeks. I never got speeds on 3G that high last October.

I totally agree, normally I don't run many speed tests on 3g, I pulled some really nice numbers in Eagan the other day.

A pattern is starting to emerge - sensorly's map now shows Hugo as definitely active. So in the northern 'burbs we have several blips on the map showing Andover/Anoka, Corcoran, Brooklyn Center and Hugo all evenly distributed from west to east.

In the South it is thus far weighted to the Southwest with Eden Prairie and Chanhassen although Jordan is not really a suburb, it's pretty far out. So far, nothing in the south or southeast but I do not think we will have to wait for long.

Edited by aliensporebomb

A pattern is starting to emerge - sensorly's map now shows Hugo as definitely active. So in the northern 'burbs we have several blips on the map showing Andover/Anoka, Corcoran, Brooklyn Center and Hugo all evenly distributed from west to east.

In the South it is thus far weighted to the Southwest with Eden Prairie and Chanhassen although Jordan is not really a suburb, it's pretty far out. So far, nothing in the south or southeast but I do not think we will have to wait for long.

Yea,I got up to Hugo around 4pm and played around.

New to the forums, I live in shakopee minnesota about 20 minutes south of the cities sitting in my bedroom i pull down LTE at about 2 bars with 4-7 mbps download speeds. My neighbor works in jordan and gets FULL LTE signal strength and is consistently pulling down 15-35 mbps securing that market for LTE service activation. Will update as i see fit. Noticing it more and more everyday in the south metro!!!