Network Vision/LTE - Minnesota Market

CuriousTim

I tried searching for Minneapolis specific updates about 800 and 2500 bands but no luck.

I know 1900 is being rolled out right now, but is there any 800 or 2500 LTE also being actively rolled out or scheduled within the next year?

I'm interested in the note 3 but may get the g2 due to tri band support. If no other bands are being rolled out in the near future, I may just go with the note 3 and one up next year for tri band support.

All WiMax markets are being upgraded to TD-LTE. Many are well under way right now, and all should be completed converted by spring.

Every Sprint site is being upgraded to PCS LTE, and equipment is also added for SMR LTE. SMR LTE will start going live later this fall, and should be activated nationwide by spring. With the exception of near the Canadian and Mexican borders. Those areas will not see 800 anything for the foreseeable future. They will however see TD-LTE, as it will be deployed nationwide starting next year.

Sent from my HTC ONE

All WiMax markets are being upgraded to TD-LTE. Many are well under way right now, and all should be completed converted by spring.

Every Sprint site is being upgraded to PCS LTE, and equipment is also added for SMR LTE. SMR LTE will start going live later this fall, and should be activated nationwide by spring. With the exception of near the Canadian and Mexican borders. Those areas will not see 800 anything for the foreseeable future. They will however see TD-LTE, as it will be deployed nationwide starting next year.

Sent from my HTC ONE

I know you said all WiMax markets are being upgraded to TD-LTE, but what about areas that had WiMax but wasn't advertised?  For example, I know there was/is(?) WiMax service by Clear/Sprint in the Mankato, MN area, but it wasn't advertised.  Will those areas get upgraded as well?

I know you said all WiMax markets are being upgraded to TD-LTE, but what about areas that had WiMax but wasn't advertised?  For example, I know there was/is(?) WiMax service by Clear/Sprint in the Mankato, MN area, but it wasn't advertised.  Will those areas get upgraded as well?

The future upgrade status of WiMax protection sites is unknown.  However, TD-LTE, will be deployed nationwide starting next year, on Sprint sites. 

The future upgrade status of WiMax protection sites is unknown.  However, TD-LTE, will be deployed nationwide starting next year, on Sprint sites. 

Thank you for the info.

Looks like Austin finally moved from In Progress, but unfortunately only to 3G, but I guess they did both towers instead of only one.  Is fiber still the issue in Austin?

Looks like Austin finally moved from In Progress, but unfortunately only to 3G, but I guess they did both towers instead of only one.  Is fiber still the issue in Austin?

Haha, I had just looked at the map and was like who is the guy always talking about Austin.  Yes, backhaul delay is the safe assumption for why 3g and not LTE in Samsung markets. 

Haha, I had just looked at the map and was like who is the guy always talking about Austin.  Yes, backhaul delay is the safe assumption for why 3g and not LTE in Samsung markets. 

Okay, thanks for the info.  Another question if you can answer or not, why not 3G 800?

I'm finally getting LTE inside my house in White Bear.  I've been getting LTE outside for many months, but the moment I step inside it would switch back to 3g.  Does this mean 800mhz has been engaged on my tower?  Is there a way I can check what frequency my phone is connected to?

I'm finally getting LTE inside my house in White Bear.  I've been getting LTE outside for many months, but the moment I step inside it would switch back to 3g.  Does this mean 800mhz has been engaged on my tower?  Is there a way I can check what frequency my phone is connected to?

Your phone doesn't support LTE on 800.

LG Optimus G specs.... 1900 LTE.

TECHNOLOGY
  • CDMA:
    • 800, 1900 MHz
  • GSM:
    • 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
  • UMTS:
    • 850, 1900 MHz
  • LTE:
    • 1900 MHz
  • Data:
    • LTE, HSPA (unspecified), UMTS, EDGE, GPRS, EV-DO Rev.A
  • Positioning:
    • GPS, A-GPS, Glonass
  • Navigation:
    • Turn-by-turn navigation, Voice navigation, Points of interest (POI)

I would say that a site closer to your house has recently acquired LTE on 1900. You were probably getting a signal from a more distant site before.

Just this week I now get strong LTE signal in my basement in Chanhassen (6-10mbps) I have had LTE OUTSIDE and very weak signal upstairs for almost a year now, but having it strong throughout the house is quite nice :)

• Like 1

LG Optimus G specs.... 1900 LTE.

TECHNOLOGY
  • CDMA:
    • 800, 1900 MHz
  • GSM:
    • 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
  • UMTS:
    • 850, 1900 MHz
  • LTE:
    • 1900 MHz
  • Data:
    • LTE, HSPA (unspecified), UMTS, EDGE, GPRS, EV-DO Rev.A
  • Positioning:
    • GPS, A-GPS, Glonass
  • Navigation:
    • Turn-by-turn navigation, Voice navigation, Points of interest (POI)

Thanks for the info about my phone.  It seems like that information is difficult to find when researching a phone.  Oh well. 

I work on 96 and 35e in White Bear.  They were just installing on the water tower here a week ago.  White Bear has some of the better coverage in the twin cities.

I'm pretty much on the opposite side of White Bear Lake, near century college.  There is a sprint tower right next to the century college water tower, i've been assuming that is where my LTE has been coming from, but maybe they just turned it on.

• Like 1

In Cottage Grove, there are a bunch of new antennas on top of the water tower at 70th and Meadow Grass.  I can see the ant. from my house.  I have very random 4g signals on my S3.  Mostly 3g.  When are these towers supposed to go live?  It seems the antennas have been there for a while.

So, when is the TD-LTE network supposed to be launched? Because I am getting the LG G2 in December (1st) and it would be nice to know when this network may be available for me! Also, we have a pre-wimax site in my town. Any chance that may get turned into TD-LTE?

Yeah....briefly in Wayzata.  I get it at Mcdonalds and at Lunds (sometimes at Lunds only) but no where else other Sensorly users have reported they got it.  Do you have LTE in St. Paul?

Yeah....briefly in Wayzata.  I get it at Mcdonalds and at Lunds (sometimes at Lunds only) but no where else other Sensorly users have reported they got it.  Do you have LTE in St. Paul?

At Como Park it is blazing.  Downtown St. Paul I only get a faint signal outdoors from a distant tower outside of downtown.  In my office in the North Loop of Minneapolis I get LTE.  You are right though that it's currently hit or miss in places, but they keep lighting up more towers each week and it's been getting better and better.