Antennae:

IMG_9781.jpg

IMG_9890.JPG

Trailer full of RRUs?

IMG_9804.JPG

Working:

IMG_9803.JPG

IMG_9800.JPG

But, I get the idea not much happened today: the aftermath of last night's storm right near the site:

storm1.JPG

storm2.JPG

storm3.JPG

Power was out for over 12 hours in the area as well as when I visited the site the cabinets were in their proper place but it looked like one of them sustained a hell of a dent towards the top.

The wind was so extreme it blew over a power pole and a nearby flagpole and that was less than 250 feet from the site:

tipped.JPG

I'll investigate further tomorrow.  It seriously looks like they're just in the beginning stages here.  

Edited by aliensporebomb
  • Like 1

Latest:

No real work done that I can see today - looks like during the storm or moving the cabinet in transit one of the two NV cabinets sustained some damage - crimp marks on the top left and right.

dent2.JPG

You can see pictures I took July 24 the rear of that seemed okay, the divots don't seem nearly as pronounced.

cabinets2.JPG

Edited by aliensporebomb
  • Like 1

I was driving home in Shakopee about 3 weeks ago and saw some guys installing new panels on the watertower off of 10th Street by the cemetary.  I asked the guys if this was for Sprint and they said yes and LTE should be turned on at that site in the next few weeks can anyone confirm that that was new Sprint equipment or that it is even a Sprint site? 

Cabinets new and old and batteries:
PICT0053.JPG

Look close:
PICT0001.JPG

PICT0010.JPG

PICT0012.JPG

Lots of crew on-site on a Saturday:

PICT0007.JPG

OK so what did they actually do (so far)? I came back early afternoon sunday and found some interesting results:

PICT0055.JPG

It's kind of hard to see the middle site due to the microwave encrusted setup on the bottom.

PICT0035.JPG

You probably are wondering whose gear is whose here....

PICT0057.JPG

Before I go on about that you might notice the middle antenna array has smaller vertical elements like some NV setups we've seen in Michigan.

PICT0061.JPG

To recap top antenna array (mostly out of sight in these shots) T-Mobile, Sprint is in the middle and on the bottom Clearwire.

PICT0065.JPG

PICT0066.JPG

No sign of Sprint RRUs but I bet they're here soon.

PICT0067.JPG

They're definetely not done yet - the cabinets aren't wired at all although the wiring harnesses are sitting waiting and the site is still roped off with caution tape. More pictures as more things happen.

Edited by aliensporebomb
  • Like 2

Just to let you guys know if your area hasn't gone through Network Vision yet get ready for your service to suck while it is happening (Sprint is like 13% done with NV in Minneapolis Market).

Network Vision was started in Blaine/Coon Rapids at the beginning of July and even though the towers are complete from what I understand, service is extremely spotty. Tons of drops (10 to 12% drop rate), slow data, no text messages coming thru, and lots of other intermittent service.

Just to let you guys know if your area hasn't gone through Network Vision yet get ready for your service to suck while it is happening (Sprint is like 13% done with NV in Minneapolis Market).

Network Vision was started in Blaine/Coon Rapids at the beginning of July and even though the towers are complete from what I understand, service is extremely spotty. Tons of drops (10 to 12% drop rate), slow data, no text messages coming thru, and lots of other intermittent service.

Your post is full of inaccuracies.

First off it's the Minnesota Market, and it's 51% complete. http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/212-network-visionlte-deployment-running-list/?p=145550

NV did not start in Blaine/Coon Rapids in July, for Blaine had LTE live in March.  NV is not complete in the Blain/Coon Rapids area.  Speeds on LTE is not slow for uses on your phone.

Yes, during NV there is temporary instances of degraded service with dropped calls, ect.

The temporary problems during the NV rollout is worth it. When you go to an area that is near NV complete with 800, you find out that coverage and speed wise it's night and day.   

Become a sponsor and you can see what's truly going on tower wise in the Blaine/Coon Rapids.

Or you might have to find a carrier that fulfill your needs, Sprint is not for everyone. 

• Like 3

I'm sure this topic has been covered many times on various internet forums, but what is the typical coverage area for a tower like the one currently being upgraded on 94th and Penn ave. in Bloomington? How far will this tower reliably provide 4G LTE signal for Sprint customers? Roughly....

Edited by AA/FC
  • Like 1

I'm sure this topic has been covered many times on various internet forums, but what is the typical coverage area for a tower like the one currently being upgraded on 94th and Penn ave. in Bloomington? How far will this tower reliably provide 4G LTE signal for Sprint customers? Roughly....

There are many variables involved making "typical" range very.  

• Like 2

They usually say around 8 miles on a tower that is not surrounded by buildings, and not congested.

• Like 1

Yeah there is no rule of thumb thats useful. Depending on antenna configuration and terrain it can vary from 2 miles to 10 miles. Where i am in Cambridge, the signal drops out on the east side of town anout 1 mile from the tower. Not sure why, but they didn't put a panel facing to the east.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

They usually say around 8 miles on a tower that is now surrounded by buildings, and not congested.

Thanks for the replies. I'm a ham radio operator so I somewhat understand the varriables in radio wave propagation. Until sprint started doing these upgrades I've never had any interest in cell networks so this side of things is fairly new to me. My original question was using this particular tower as the example. The tower is fairly tall, the sorounding land is fairly flat, most nearby building are 2 story or less, etc, etc. Your 8 mile answer gives me a good idea of the general coverage area for a single tower.

My house is less than 1 mile from this tower (as a bird flies) so I'm looking forward to a strong 4G LTE signal once this tower goes live.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies. I'm a ham radio operator so I somewhat understand the varriables in radio wave propagation. Until sprint started doing these upgrades I've never had any interest in cell networks so this side of things is fairly new to me. My original question was using this particular tower as the example. The tower is fairly tall, the sorounding land is fairly flat, most nearby building are 2 story or less, etc, etc. Your 8 mile answer gives me a good idea of the general coverage area for a single tower.

My house is less than 1 mile from this tower (as a bird flies) so I'm looking forward to a strong 4G LTE signal once this tower goes live.

Thanks again.

You're welcome! And yes, you should get VERY good coverage. (Also very fast! ;) )

• Like 1

I sense a bandwidth battle between you and Aliensporebomb on this tower  ;)

• Like 2

I sense a bandwidth battle between you and Aliensporebomb on this tower  ;)

Hahaha... Yep, probably. I've never met him, and I don't know where he lives, but judging from his posts this must be his "home" tower too.

Yeah, it's less than half a mile away from my place.  Walking distance.  I can see it out my office window easily.  :)

As far as distance, I was able to receive the tower on the roof of the Homewood Suites next to the Mall of America up by Loehmann's Plaza which was a little over 7 miles.  Not bad.

Looks like they weren't doing any work on the tower yesterday but they still have a bit of work to do.  I'll check this today and see if they're back at it.

Anyone hear anything on downtown St. Paul? Its terrible:

I saw new antennas and RRU's up in downtown St Paul on Saturday, but didn't get a chance to take any pictures.  I'm guessing that they are waiting on backhaul, as your speedtest shows. 

I saw new antennas and RRU's up in downtown St Paul on Saturday, but didn't get a chance to take any pictures. I'm guessing that they are waiting on backhaul, as your speedtest shows.

bad data profile maybe

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Today's shots (not many).  It appeared today they were mostly installing the platform for everything NV related to sit on.  They stopped around 6:30 or 7 p.m. while it was still light.

PICT0077.JPG

PICT0074.JPG

PICT0093.JPG

PICT0094.JPG

Looked more or less like a crew of 3 on the tower and other individuals on the ground.

When they were done the configuration looked like this:

IMG_0056.JPG

More tomorrow...

• Like 2