Network Vision/LTE - Minnesota Market

CuriousTim

I talked to Sprint, and they're working on the site (northside of Hwy 14) just outside of Eagle Lake, which real close to Mankato. I roam from Smith Mill to Eagle Lake. Downtown Mankato is working really good for me. I haven't been through Austin lately though, but I do know that the new equipment has been installed on the site, it's on the west side of Austin, on the northside of I-90.

Hmm, work for me, is on Madison Ave past Victory Dr and towards Eagle Lake, and that site seems to be the closest to it.  Hopefully that resolves the work part, though it's werid that I would not even get reliable 3G signal before the upgrades.  Thankfully, my new place is right downtown so that will solve the home issue.  Only in Austin on the weekends but it's a struggle to use the phone at all once in town or on the east side of town.

Hmm, work for me, is on Madison Ave past Victory Dr and towards Eagle Lake, and that site seems to be the closest to it.  Hopefully that resolves the work part, though it's werid that I would not even get reliable 3G signal before the upgrades.  Thankfully, my new place is right downtown so that will solve the home issue.  Only in Austin on the weekends but it's a struggle to use the phone at all once in town or on the east side of town.

The Eagle Lake site has all the new Samsung equipment installed for Network Vision. Since it's in a remote area, I'm not sure if they have fiber to it yet, and that's needed for 4G. I'm thinking they may just do the 3G/800 upgrade for now, just like they did in Waterville on Hwy 60, and Mapleton on Hwy 22. Next time your driving by, you can see it on the northside of 14, it must be a 250-300ft tower. Oddly enough this all happened when they shut down the old iden network.

• Like 1

The Eagle Lake site has all the new Samsung equipment installed for Network Vision. Since it's in a remote area, I'm not sure if they have fiber to it yet, and that's needed for 4G. I'm thinking they may just do the 3G/800 upgrade for now, just like they did in Waterville on Hwy 60, and Mapleton on Hwy 22. Next time your driving by, you can see it on the northside of 14, it must be a 250-300ft tower. Oddly enough this all happened when they shut down the old iden network.

Oh okay.  Though, I wonder if fiber is the case, why they haven't done the 3G/800 upgrade in Austin for so long?  That would help.

Oh okay.  Though, I wonder if fiber is the case, why they haven't done the 3G/800 upgrade in Austin for so long?  That would help.

I can understand why Eagle Lake hasn't been upgraded already, since it's a remote site. But I have no idea why Austin isn't up yet, I thought that would have gone live when Albert Lea did. All I can say, is that I'm expecting issues over the next few months, while Sprint is upgrading, and knowing that they're upgrading makes the issues a less painful for me.

A buddy of mine is working on sprint towers now(was working on T-Mobile before) and he told me that on Monday he will be working on the tower in st Louis park by the airport I think he said. He also said it take about a week from start to finish and he is going to let me know where he is going to next.

There's an airport near St. Louis Park?  News to me.  Maybe he means the one by the northeast corner of the MSP airport which could be considered kitty-corner to SLP.  That one is slated for upgrade so I guess we'll wait and see.

Still nothing in Austin, wow.  Completely drained my battery with no signal just out of town.  Great, along with weak/no signal (3G or 4G) at work or at home in Mankato, this is beyong frustrating.

Sounds like it's your phone.  My friend has a Galaxy SIII and one time he was standing right next to a Sprint tower and I was with him and I was getting something like between -50 and -60 dBm (wall to wall signal, super powerful, I could feel the hair standing up on my head from the EMI) and his Galaxy SIII was getting nothing at all.  We were near a Sprint store and I advised he have them look at it.  Turns out they had to give his phone what the store tech called "The Vulcan Nerve Pinch" (no idea what the actual process is).  I get the idea the SIII has all kinds of little bugs in it and they basically removed and restored his firmware and after that he was able to get a reliable signal again (for a time anyway) but he still has weird flaky problems with the thing all of the time.  But go get your phone checked out.

i can confirm they are digging today at the Cambridge site. they have it tore up from the road to the tower and a crew with a white truck is there... had a big M on the truck but couldn't make out the company name.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

There's an airport near St. Louis Park?  News to me.  Maybe he means the one by the northeast corner of the MSP airport which could be considered kitty-corner to SLP.  That one is slated for upgrade so I guess we'll wait and see.

I'm not sure. He just said in st louis park around the airport.

i can confirm they are digging today at the Cambridge site. they have it tore up from the road to the tower and a crew with a white truck is there... had a big M on the truck but couldn't make out the company name.

It could be Mill City Electric. I was talking to the guys working at my site today and asked them about a company with a big M on it. They said Mill City. Love your F5 stuff by the way.

Hi everyone,

I'll be flying into MSP and will be going to a workshop at Normandale Community College in bloomington. How is the LTE coverage in that area?

I'll be staying at the La quinta as well and am just curious. It looks like downtown Minneapolis has really good coverage but just wanted your views.

Any help would be appreciated.

Normandale is walking distance from my place.   There are two LTE towers in that part of town - a tower off 84th and Normandale and another off Hampshire and 98th and I get LTE in my driveway further to the northeast from Normandale College.

There are 3 more towers being worked on as I type this.  One looks ready to go live too.  

• Like 1

Normandale is walking distance from my place. There are two LTE towers in that part of town - a tower off 84th and Normandale and another off Hampshire and 98th and I get LTE in my driveway further to the northeast from Normandale College.

There are 3 more towers being worked on as I type this. One looks ready to go live too.

Thanks man. Now, if you could PM me some unique to Minneapolis restaurants to check out, my trip planning would be complete ;)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks man. Now, if you could PM me some unique to Minneapolis restaurants to check out, my trip planning would be complete ;)

Do we need to cross reference them with LTE coverage too?  :)

There are quite a few restaurants near the LaQuinta - along the 494 strip.  Nearly anything you can think of.  We joked on this forum that Poor Richard's Common House on the east side of 84th and Normandale is directly across the street from the bank with live Sprint LTE on the roof!  There's a Jimmy John's sandwhich place on the other side.  

Has anyone gotten CDMA 800 in the twin cities?  Especially if they haven't gotten it before the last couple weeks?

Just picked up 800 for the first time in Chanhassen, I'm close to the water tower, but picking up signal from a tower farther west.

I am down on the south end of Shakopee off 169 and Marystown Rd. I get 1 maybe 2 bars when I connect to LTE but when my phone changes to 3G in other areas of the house I have full bars.  Would it be safe to say that they just may have not finished the closest tower to my house and my phone is trying to grab a weak LTE signal over a strong 3G?

I am down on the south end of Shakopee off 169 and Marystown Rd. I get 1 maybe 2 bars when I connect to LTE but when my phone changes to 3G in other areas of the house I have full bars.  Would it be safe to say that they just may have not finished the closest tower to my house and my phone is trying to grab a weak LTE signal over a strong 3G?

Yes

Just picked up 800 for the first time in Chanhassen, I'm close to the water tower, but picking up signal from a tower farther west.

It's nice when you pick it up for the first time, just to know that you got the right prl (I'm on CM currently) and the hardware all works right.

i just saw 3 guys climbing up the tower in Cambridge. pictures and more later.

There is a Cambridge, MN? Nice!

Just so you know the bars are only your 1x. To check evdo or lte u need signalcheck pro! :P