Network Vision/LTE - Minnesota Market

CuriousTim

What other PCS spectrum does Spring have in this market? Could they have put up a 10x10 LTE here?

Sprint wont be doing 10x10 any time soon.  Some/Most? of their current phones don't support 10x10.  If they were to use more spectrum, it would be to add another 5x5 in the PCS a-f blocks.  This is ignoring the 5x5MHz in 800 and 20MHz+ TDD BRS/EBS they will also be adding soon.

Has anyone gotten CDMA 800 in the twin cities?  Especially if they haven't gotten it before the last couple weeks?

I'm sitting in a basement in Farmington getting 800 off of the Northfield tower.

I'm thinking they have 800mhz on the north side of Northfield, and I don't think it's listed on the maps here. I know the one on the west side has it, it's about 3 miles from my brother-in-law's house. I had some weird issues with my Note II on 800mhz though, and I see they downgraded my PRL to 2000 about  a week ago. Which doesn't have any 800mhz scans in it.

I'm thinking they have 800mhz on the north side of Northfield, and I don't think it's listed on the maps here. I know the one on the west side has it, it's about 3 miles from my brother-in-law's house. I had some weird issues with my Note II on 800mhz though, and I see they downgraded my PRL to 2000 about a week ago. Which doesn't have any 800mhz scans in it.

Lots of that going around the forums. Hopefully if a real issue sprint can get it fixed up real quick or they maybe have to bring 800 up in clusters too or worse call up Qualcomm/Samsung.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Totally off topic, but I am glad to see this thread being used again. There was a 2-week period when only like 5 posts were made... D: So yay!!! 

Anyways... I am not the person who knows much about towers. So what is this "800 site" thing? Is it a faster spectrum?

Totally off topic, but I am glad to see this thread being used again. There was a 2-week period when only like 5 posts were made... D: So yay!!! 

Anyways... I am not the person who knows much about towers. So what is this "800 site" thing? Is it a faster spectrum?

Sprint holds 12MHz of 800 from Nextel that they are killing off on June 30.  That's enough for 1 CDMA-1x carrier for voice/text/data carrier and a  5x5 LTE carrier(same as what's currently deployed on PCS).

800 will help Sprint to compete on in building coverage and rural coverage.  800(SMR) isn't near as fragile as PCS as over long distances.  They need to deploy on this spectrum for the viability of the company.

So if you have the photon 4g(wimax), you will get cdma 1x-800(better voice coverage).

Then there's Clearwire's spectrum, which doesn't travel far at all, but they have so much spectrum, that they can really deploy som blazing fast LTE.

When new phones come out with 800(SMR), 1900(PCS), and 2600(BRS/EBS) Sprint will have an amazing portfolio of spectrum to deploy on.

Parts of Robert's first post in this link go into more detail on 800 and how it compares to other carriers spectrum.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/32-network-vision-explained/

VZW holds 750, 850 Cellular, some 1900 PCS. and lots of 1700/2100 AWS

AT&T holds 700, 850 Cellular, 1900 PCS, a little 1700/2100 AWS, and almost all of 2300 WCS, except a small chunk Sprint owns.

T-Mobile holds a lot of PCS 1900 and a lot of 1700/2100 AWS.

I'm thinking they have 800mhz on the north side of Northfield, and I don't think it's listed on the maps here. I know the one on the west side has it, it's about 3 miles from my brother-in-law's house. I had some weird issues with my Note II on 800mhz though, and I see they downgraded my PRL to 2000 about  a week ago. Which doesn't have any 800mhz scans in it.

It was the North tower that I was getting 800 from.  I also connected to one on the east side for a while, but I wasn't getting 800 from that one.

Very educational video. Not mine, but this helped me understand a lot more.

Also, he says "2003" but means "2013". it has not happened yet, so this video is a year behind. But still, good video.

Edited by blakebaa

Is it typical for a cell site's 3g connection to get really bad during the NV process?  The site on Technology Dr in Eden Prairie frequently times out on 3g if I can't pick up a 4g signal from it.  Even when I'm right next to the tower and have great signal for data, speed tests keep showing no connection, web won't load.  If it's typical, that's fine for a while during the upgrade, but if it's not, I'll give Sprint a call and have them put in a ticket for that site.

Is it typical for a cell site's 3g connection to get really bad during the NV process? The site on Technology Dr in Eden Prairie frequently times out on 3g if I can't pick up a 4g signal from it. Even when I'm right next to the tower and have great signal for data, speed tests keep showing no connection, web won't load. If it's typical, that's fine for a while during the upgrade, but if it's not, I'll give Sprint a call and have them put in a ticket for that site.

It's not uncommon at all. There's certainly a possibility they messed with something relating to the current signal/back haul. Hopefully we aren't far from getting some more NV 3g around the cities too.

I live in SW Maple Grove (about 1/2 mile south of Weaver Lake) and recently (past several weeks) my signal has been greatly attenuated.  I'm no longer able to get LTE unless I'm upstairs standing next to a window!  I've also frequently seen my signal completely disappear for short periods of time.  Sometimes the phone (Galaxy SIII) will start roaming.  I finally called Sprint today and they said that the issue is due to be resolved tomorrow.  I have to assume they know what's going on.  Crossing my fingers!!!

I live in SW Maple Grove (about 1/2 mile south of Weaver Lake) and recently (past several weeks) my signal has been greatly attenuated.  I'm no longer able to get LTE unless I'm upstairs standing next to a window!  I've also frequently seen my signal completely disappear for short periods of time.  Sometimes the phone (Galaxy SIII) will start roaming.  I finally called Sprint today and they said that the issue is due to be resolved tomorrow.  I have to assume they know what's going on.  Crossing my fingers!!!

Hmm they may have shut off access a tower around you in Corcoran.  Sometimes this will happen for a couple days while they bring up a new site close by, adjust and test.  Hopefully this is the case!  Remember that LTE is not guaranteed or even expected to stay on before the market is officially launched.

• Like 1

It's not uncommon at all. There's certainly a possibility they messed with something relating to the current signal/back haul. Hopefully we aren't far from getting some more NV 3g around the cities too.

Looking again at the site, even though it's been kicking out LTE for months, it appears to still be operating through the legacy antenna system.  It's at the top of a high voltage line tower, with Nextel antennas half way up the same tower.  Perhaps the plan is to do the full nv upgrade and remove the Nextel equipment all in one project, since I remember them having to take those power lines out of service when they originally built the Sprint side of the site.

Looking again at the site, even though it's been kicking out LTE for months, it appears to still be operating through the legacy antenna system.  It's at the top of a high voltage line tower, with Nextel antennas half way up the same tower.  Perhaps the plan is to do the full nv upgrade and remove the Nextel equipment all in one project, since I remember them having to take those power lines out of service when they originally built the Sprint side of the site.

Seems like sound logic to me.

On the same note, In downtown Maple Grove (Main Street) there is a similar situation.  High voltage, but only 3g.  I've seen no movement on that tower, but it's at the end of my driveway.  Hopefully they work on all of this in a similar time frame.

I went to the Twins game tonight.  Essentially didn't have service, even though I had full bars.  It was interesting as the phone sometimes switched to 1x.  Not sure what told the phone to do that.  Something in the congested airwaves I guess.  I keep my head high though, downtown will get the major upgrade sooner than later.

At some points I got 4g and that was quite fast, however.

VZW 4g was worthless though.  So it wasn't just Sprint.