Network Vision/LTE - Minnesota Market

CuriousTim

Just toggle airplane mode when you expect you are in a 4g area, like if sensorly shows 4g in your area. Other than that, the metro area is starting to get nice coverage.

It's not like Sprint shut down the wimax network yet.

Android looks for LTE every 30 minutes. Airplane toggle forces a search, or there is an app called LTE Discovery to search automatically for you.

Just what I suspected, good to know. I will check out LTE Discovery. Thanks!

It's not like Sprint shut down the wimax network yet.

Right, but the WiMax network does me no good on my HTC One. So essentially, my speeds were heavily downgraded to 3G.

Edited by daviss

Just what I suspected, good to know. I will check out LTE Discovery. Thanks!

Right, but the WiMax network does me no good on my HTC One. So essentially, my speeds were heavily downgraded to 3G.

Yes, this is true. You purchased an LTE device in unlaunched LTE market. Only about 20% of the Metro Area has Sprint LTE coverage. And it will grow a little bit week after week. If you cannot live with legacy 3G data in the interim you have two options. Get a WiMax hotspot to supplement your One for a few months. You can get them off contract and pretty darn cheap now. Or you can leave.

I understand your frustration. I had to get hotspots from other carriers to use in my area, because I'm in a non LTE and non WiMax market. However, the purpose of this thread is to talk about deployment in the Minnesota market, and not that you are unhappy with your legacy 3G data experience. We wish you the best in whatever decision you make to meet your needs.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 2

Centurylink has been working at the base of the tower on Technology Dr. in Eden Prairie, messing with fiber. Maybe this tower will finally pull acceptable speeds! Even on 4g it's bogged most of the time.

I can hope, anyway.

Hello everyone. I'm a new member here. I've been watching this site for months while watching / anticipating Sprint's LTE rollout in the Twin Cities. It's been pretty quiet in here for a while so I thought I'd simply ask, "What's new and exciting?"

Hello everyone. I'm a new member here. I've been watching this site for months while watching / anticipating Sprint's LTE rollout in the Twin Cities. It's been pretty quiet in here for a while so I thought I'd simply ask, "What's new and exciting?"

Well we're surrounded in Maple Grove. There's towers in every direction broadcasting LTE on 610, 494, and 694. The only issue is that they need to upgrade a tower in the 169 and 694 area and also downtown Maple Grove to really get good LTE signal in and around the city.

Well we're surrounded in Maple Grove. There's towers in every direction broadcasting LTE on 610, 494, and 694. The only issue is that they need to upgrade a tower in the 169 and 694 area and also downtown Maple Grove to really get good LTE signal in and around the city.

I've noticed pretty good reception around Maple Grove and I'm pleased with it generally. Of course there's spots here and there (near Boston Scientific / CrossWinds Church) where I seem to get pushed into 3G. I live just south of Weaver Lake (you'll see a lonely purple blip on Sensorly - that's me) and I get pretty decent recpetion in my house, except, of course, in my basement where all good wireless goes to die :( Edited by CrashyMN
  • Like 1

I have been checking the network.sprint.com site every now and then, Willmar has gotten 3 upgrades in like 2 weeks! I am becoming pretty happy with their service lately!

On 3G, just 30 minutes ago around 2:30-2:40, I got 3.1mbps down and 1.2 up!

Android looks for LTE every 30 minutes. Airplane toggle forces a search, or there is an app called LTE Discovery to search automatically for you.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure where you got that info. Android doesn't scan for anything. Your baseband settings determine when it scans combined with if your data connection is idle to scan. Most of the settings I have seen pushed down recently are 3-5 minute scans. We are still not sure if the LTE file affects the scan rate by remembering where you had LTE. You can also edit the scan yourself if you have your Msl code.

Sent from my little Note2

It's all over the Internet that 'your phone' checks for LTE every 30 minutes. You know if its on the Internet, it must be true. ;-)

So I don't have to use apps like LTE Discovery then if the phone is reliably checking every 3-5 minutes?

It's all over the Internet that 'your phone' checks for LTE every 30 minutes. You know if its on the Internet, it must be true. ;-)

So I don't have to use apps like LTE Discovery then if the phone is reliably checking every 3-5 minutes?

Different phones have different scan times. Anywhere from 3 to 30 minutes. Scan times have been tuned down with recent updates as more location have LTE. I found that when I moved out of LTE range and then moved back in, my GS3 would take anywhere from 1 to 6 minutes to reconnect.

I have been getting intermittent 4g from the Highland Bank cell at Normandale and 84th in Bloomington. I mapped about 6 points on Sensorly before it reverted to 3g. I can also pick it up in the towers on Norman Center Dr, but can't map that because I can't get a gps lock.

So, I hear Austin, MN tower which shows up as a network vision site, won't be getting 4G soon, only 3G/Data and Voice upgrades. Is there any reason for that? Really disheartening, considering Albert Lea and Rochester are getting 4G as well.

So, I hear Austin, MN tower which shows up as a network vision site, won't be getting 4G soon, only 3G/Data and Voice upgrades. Is there any reason for that? Really disheartening, considering Albert Lea and Rochester are getting 4G as well.

And where are you getting your information that Austin isn't getting 4G soon.

And where are you getting your information that Austin isn't getting 4G soon.

Sprint sales rep. She listed all the cities getting 4G, including Fairmont, Blue Earth, Albert Lea, Rochester, so I asked about Austin and she said that only 3G is being worked on for now. I know that it'll be there in time, but was more wondering why it won't be at the same time as those others.

I know for a fact the Austin site (American Tower) has had the new equipment installed since February, I find it hard to believe you won't be getting LTE soon, "unless they're having backhaul/Permit problems. I actually thought that would go live right after Albert Lea did. Albert Lea has one more tower to turn on, and that is out on the west side of Albert lea, in the chapeau heights area, on Kenny Peterson's farm.

• Like 1

Come on Sprint........

Whats going on with Shakopee, Savage, Prior Lake, and West Bloomington?!?!?!?

I was by WalMart/Best Buy in Shakopee tonight and got 4G! 14MB down, 6.5MB up.