Network Vision/LTE - Minnesota Market

CuriousTim

I was on my way home from school today when I saw a brand new tower coming up in Willmar! Hoping it is Sprint LTE, but it could be another T-Mobile since we only have 1 or 2 towers. T-Mobiles speeds are 1.75 down 1 up. Not good for a 4G technology. Especially when I look at the other T-Mobile speeds in other towns. Anyways, I just hope to see a more solid signal around here and eventually get it throughout the whole state!

It has been interesting watching where Sprint puts their new sites up. The site nearest to me (5-8 miles) is in a town of 3,000. Instead of mine having 25,000. But, I do know it is up to the tower/building owners as well. But, since tomorrow seems to be the hot day for new towers, I just hope to see more purple on sensorly around here! I am actually also excited for the stronger/faster 3G speeds since in my highschool I only get 3-5 bars of roaming... When I am on the upper level though, I get 1-2 bars of normal 3G. Anyways, just hoping this new tower is sprint! They have the base of it up all ready!

Quiet around here :(

Rochester seems to be pulling some great 4G signal in the south side of town finally. Great to see.

I'm guessing with last week leading up to Easter that things slowed down somewhat.

I have to admit after reading that the current production rate completion date is now looking like it is October 2014 that I am really thinking about switching carriers at this point.

We don’t beg people to stay. We advocate that people need to do what is best for them, and in your case, you said another carrier is better for you.

So you responded with a classy and snarky "goodbye".

I said I was "thinking"

It looks like some new towers are either being put up (haven't noticed them before) or being upgraded at this location: http://goo.gl/maps/pgRwl (Cty Rd 101 / Highway 55 in Plymouth). Does anyone know if this is a Sprint crew? They have been there for the past 3 days working on it. I'm actually hoping that it's a T-mobile crew working on getting LTE set up, but a lot of my coworkers have LTE-capable devices on Sprint so it would be good for them, too.

Thanks!

edit: The water tower at that location has some cell antennas on top of it, but the work is being done on a dedicated cell tower next to the water tower - I see no evidence of this tower on google street view or Bing maps, so it must be a recent addition.

Edited by minnesnowta

What is the highest speeds ever on sprint because on verizon I got 41.5 mb down and dosnt sprint have more spectrum than verizon

5mhz tops out at 37 megabit. Way more than anyone needs on their phone.

Sent from my little Note2

• Like 2

I've been mapping out LTE in the the Eau Claire, WI area with Sensorly. We're part of the Minnesota Market, and on Sprint's list for first cities to be upgraded to LTE. The speeds are great, but unfortunately there's no LTE coverage in the downtown, and very weak/spotty coverate at the University, so I don't get to use it very much.

Judging from the maps on network.sprint.com and the sensorly data, it looks like two of our sites have been upgraded so far, plus another one or two up near Chippewa Falls.

I've been mapping out LTE in the the Eau Claire' date=' WI area with Sensorly. We're part of the Minnesota Market, and on Sprint's list for first cities to be upgraded to LTE. The speeds are great, but unfortunately there's no LTE coverage in the downtown, and very weak/spotty coverate at the University, so I don't get to use it very much.

Judging from the maps on network.sprint.com and the sensorly data, it looks like two of our sites have been upgraded so far, plus another one or two up near Chippewa Falls.[/quote']

Would be nice if they moved more east

Just got LTE from the Franklin Ave station to the Lake Street station on the light rail. Is there any info on the engineering screen that could help determine the tower its coming from?

I don't have time to search for it right now, so hopefully it is still turned on tomorrow!

I've been mapping out LTE in the the Eau Claire, WI area with Sensorly. We're part of the Minnesota Market, and on Sprint's list for first cities to be upgraded to LTE. The speeds are great, but unfortunately there's no LTE coverage in the downtown, and very weak/spotty coverate at the University, so I don't get to use it very much.

Judging from the maps on network.sprint.com and the sensorly data, it looks like two of our sites have been upgraded so far, plus another one or two up near Chippewa Falls.

All over on the North and East sides of town (including around the mall).

Nothing on the southside west of Rudolph Rd, Downtown or the West side. Come on Sprint!!

Mt.Tom is the one you want to keep an eye on for LTE at UWEC/downtown. I believe the lowest rack is sprint. Only legacy panels last time I saw. Altoona has a site with NV Panels but no LTE yet. There's a live site up by north crossing and south of 94 near the mall.

• Like 1

The LTE in the Kandiohi/Willmar area has grown! We are now one of the larger spots on Sensorly! (Beside the Metro area)

I am super excited to get my LTE capable device! :D Awesome work Sprint!

Edited by blakebaa

Mt.Tom is the one you want to keep an eye on for LTE at UWEC/downtown. I believe the lowest rack is sprint. Only legacy panels last time I saw. Altoona has a site with NV Panels but no LTE yet. There's a live site up by north crossing and south of 94 near the mall.

Hopefully they get to Mt Tom soon! :)

Looking at the 2G/3G maps I'm glad we didn't end up in the third ward, it's a bit of a hole when it comes to sprint coverage.

Hopefully they get to Mt Tom soon! :)

Looking at the 2G/3G maps I'm glad we didn't end up in the third ward, it's a bit of a hole when it comes to sprint coverage.

There's a tower on Clairemont by Taco Bell and Godfather's Pizza. I suspect that will also service the UWEC campus once upgrades have been finished. I work close to there and used to get decent 3g before I switched over to a Nexus 4 and Tmo. I'll have to get my wife who has a EVO LTE to come down there and see if she picks up LTE.

Edited by blkmiles

There's a tower on Clairemont by Taco Bell and Godfather's Pizza. I suspect that will also service the UWEC campus once upgrades have been finished. I work close to there and used to get decent 3g before I switched over to a Nexus 4 and Tmo. I'll have to get my wife who has a EVO LTE to come down there and see if she picks up LTE.

I drive by there a few times a week, no LTE yet.

There are two towers in that area. One is further down Clairemont by Carstar and the other one is just past Godfather's which I drive by to work. I just got back into the office from class and I saw a van with no markings that had a big metal trailer with a couple of guys inside the fence. I don't know if Sprint is on that tower but if so, work has finally begun.

• Like 1

Just now picked up LTE in St. Michael! Speed tests averaged 4 down and about 2.5 up. Hopefully this will speed up being day one but I'll take anything better than the .5 down average I was getting with 3g. Finally! Was driving me crazy having it within 8 miles in absolutely every direction But not here!

I was watching a guy climb the tower during the meeting I was in. I watched them send stuff up to him via cables. Looked like something that went into or replaced inside the white tall rectangular antenna pieces. I'll try to make a stop after lunch and take a couple of pics or ask around. They are pretty much right next to the road.

• Like 1