Network Vision/LTE - Minnesota Market

CuriousTim

The following is a part of an email received by some businesses in the MN area. The dates affected are March 20 to April 10.

Sprint Nextel will be performing network maintenance to ensure the continued reliability of your services. A description of the impact is listed below:

Maintenance Description: Sprint will be performing a Network Deployment Scheduled Maintenance activity to consolidate multiple network technologies into one new, seamless network with the goal of increasing efficiency and enhancing network coverage, call quality and data speeds for customers across the United States on a new 3G and LTE network nationwide. This activity may result in a loss of CDMA Data Connections and/Or Dropped Calls services intermittently during the scheduled time below in the Min-Minneapolis market

I have definitely noticed this causing issues over the past week or so. Areas that I typically get strong 3g coverage and data speeds are all of a sudden showing up as 1X and the speed is crap for no apparent reason. Or I have been getting network connection issues when surfing the web. I have been suspecting it is all part of the upgrade and for the good!

I've been pretty accurate guessing soon to be released LTE areas just by crappy data speeds and reliability.

Hopefully it actually shows up, but i just did a little driving in the Lakeville and Farmington area, and got 2955, Lte points to upload to sensorly, Im going to guess almost all of them are totally new compared to the mapping I see from my phone, aIeast 2 new active LTE towers.

Well see how long it takes for Sensorly to update things, sometimes really fast, sometimes it takes a day or so.

And yeah I had major issues with this thread yesterday, seems fine today.

I did some driving/searching today based on the network.sprint.com maps that showed upgraded data speeds and visited the sites where it said upgrades have happened. This map shows the towers I was able to connect to and get 4g (circled in green). There was one site that showed as a data speed upgrade that I couldn't connect to and get 4g (circled in orange). The tower at the bottom of the picture is the only one that shows up on the forums most recent mapping.

post-8644-0-58123000-1364414986_thumb.jpg

Also drove around the base of this tower and in the surrounding area. The network.sprint.com map shows this tower as having data speed upgrades (circled in red) but I was not able to connect to the tower to verify if it offers 4g speeds. This tower is near I-94/St. Joseph. There were distinct tire tracks on the road leading up to the tower but it is gated and locked leading me to believe it had been recently accessed. This tower doesn't show up on the forums maps as being upgraded or in process so I am not sure how it gets on there or who needs to be informed.

post-8644-0-75095600-1364415438_thumb.jpg

I drove near the bases of both of the towers circled below. The one near northside park in Sartell shows on the Sprint network site as being recently increased data speeds and the other near Sauk Rapids says it had a recent voice upgrade. I was not able to connect to 4g data services on either tower. HOWEVER, there were crews working up on both of the towers working on them leading me to believe they are in process. Neither site shows up in the forums most recent mapping though. Not sure how that map gets updated or who has to be informed to do so.

post-8644-0-36058000-1364415717_thumb.jpg

Neither site shows up in the forums most recent mapping though. Not sure how that map gets updated or who has to be informed to do so.

Forums most recent mapping? Are you talking about the network sites complete map that also shows in progress sites?

If your looking for those to get listed as in progress http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3369-report-in-progress-sites-here/

I was at the MOA earlier today.... As I was eating lunch with my sister in the south food court, I remembered to cycle the airplane mode on my phone to check for LTE signal. I tried it several times and I got nothing. My sister tried it with her Samsung S3 and also got nothing. This really surprised me considering how strong the signal is on the other side of the exterior wall of the mall.

This is a screen shot of the sensorly map showing the dark purple signal on the south side of the mall. The red "X" shows where I was sitting inside the mall. As you can see, I was pretty close to strong signal.... it's weird how it can go from a strong signal, to absolutely nothing within just a few feet. lol

4gmoa.jpg

The following is a part of an email received by some businesses in the MN area. The dates affected are March 20 to April 10.

Sprint Nextel will be performing network maintenance to ensure the continued reliability of your services. A description of the impact is listed below:

Maintenance Description: Sprint will be performing a Network Deployment Scheduled Maintenance activity to consolidate multiple network technologies into one new, seamless network with the goal of increasing efficiency and enhancing network coverage, call quality and data speeds for customers across the United States on a new 3G and LTE network nationwide. This activity may result in a loss of CDMA Data Connections and/Or Dropped Calls services intermittently during the scheduled time below in the Min-Minneapolis market

Yup, got that email awhile back.... All I know is that if its not for 4g upgrades I'm asking for a discount.

Some new LTE blips in Bloomington near 98th and Rich Road - I know the site. It's right behind Famous Dave's there.

The last time I was near there a week or two back I saw new cabinets on the ground but across the roadway from where the actual site is. To me, they didn't look like Sprint cabinets - they looked like electrical equipment boxes for something else but may be involved at this site.

I'll check this on my lunch hour.

I also see light blips near 79th Street and 494 near Southtown Shopping Center and another near 76th and Girard across the freeway. This COULD be slop from the new site near the MOA but it just as easily could be a new site.

Exciting times, these!

Propagation inside the MOA is great otherwise it's a RF deathtrap.. hence the reason everyone has sites in camp snoopy..

Yeah, I figured all the major carriers had sites inside the mall...... but I did not realize that the mall structure acted as a true farady cage. lol.

I was a construction worker back in the late 80's/early 90's and worked on the mall when it was originally built. I don't recall ever seeing the mall structure being wrapped in metal mesh of some sort. lol :D

NOTE: This might be old news to some.

I've been checking priododically for LTE in Minneapolis on my EVO LTE, and while it's nice to see it mapped along the highways downtown in Sensorly, the only place I've ever actually gotten it is in my 21st story apartment... which is about a 15 blocks from the nearest purple blob.

Starting last week, I've been getting a steady two-bar signal. I never got WiMax in my building because it's a brutalist-archtected concrete fortress from the 70s, but LTE signal is steady, although as soon as I go down to the lobby, I lose it. Speed ain't bad, but it rarely cracks 10Mbps, instead hovering around 6-9Mbps down, and about the same up. I hope we can expect better once its fully deployed, but it would be fast enough to download all my podcasts on the go, wheras Sprint 3G sucks for that.

Of course, since it's just in my apartment, it can't compete with wifi, so it's mostly just a glimce into the future for now.

screenshot2013033002274.png

Edited by The Noble Robot

Yeah, I figured all the major carriers had sites inside the mall...... but I did not realize that the mall structure acted as a true farady cage. lol.

I was a construction worker back in the late 80's/early 90's and worked on the mall when it was originally built. I don't recall ever seeing the mall structure being wrapped in metal mesh of some sort. lol :D

With all the reinforced concrete/ metal framed walls and the metal sub-floor under the concrete and roof there is not much getting into the meaty part of the MOA hell, it's hard to get a signal in the back of a home-depot.