Network Vision/LTE - Minnesota Market

CuriousTim

I take it they are using the highways as a way of determining where towers get upgraded?

Nope. There is no order to which sites are completed. Whichever site is ready next is the one that gets done, mostly driven by backhaul availability. It's possible that adequate backhaul is more readily available near highways, but sites are not getting preferential treatment due to a more desirable location.

I am getting more exited By the minute knowing that sprint is working on the tower nor rose lawn and 35e I only live 1.2 miles from that tower!!!!!!!!!!! Lets hope that the weather goes in sprints favor ????????????????

Edited by ZZ The Ninja
  • Like 1

1.2 miles seems far..

1.2 miles is only far in very urban areas. A single site can cover up to 10 miles in less populated areas. It just depends on how many sites they need in an area for capacity how large of a coverage area each site has.

It's really far if all the fire breaks in your building are made of stainless steel or the like. One of our buildings had a dentist as a tenant and the fire breaks to keep x-rays from leaving the dentist office space played serious havoc on another tenants wifi. "Welcome to the faraday cage".

1.2 miles is only far in very urban areas. A single site can cover up to 10 miles in less populated areas. It just depends on how many sites they need in an area for capacity how large of a coverage area each site has.

You don't say...:rolleyes: #smh

I was in Burnsville last night near the intersection of country road 42 and Nicollet ave where there seems to be very good 4G LTE coverage. I was killing time waiting for my next call (I was working) and I decided to run a quick speed test. I was very impressed. See for yourself......

Screenshot_2013-03-18-19-46-09.png

Not too bad! :tu:

I realize this is probably not going to be the normal speeds once the entire system is up and running but it was still pretty cool to see those speeds on a mobile device.

Edited by AA/FC
  • Like 1

I was able to get some info on my phone's LTE Engineering screen today near Breezy Point, MN. Couldn't get the State to be anything but Idle, but I had actual values in the PLMN ID and Serving Cell fields, so it must be getting close to going live around here.

Update: I see a new strong blip of LTE in Sensorly right near the Mall of America - the south and west sides of the mall. I'll head over there to see what I can find. Signal is too far away and too strong to be slop from St. Paul. Both Highway 77 and Killebrew drive. Signal is particularly strong at Killebrew.

Verified. Came in from the northeast side, then west on Killebrew then north on 77. Maxed out around 26 megabits down, abut 8 megabits up.

It seemed to drop quickly as I sped past Ikea so I surmise this is on the roof of the Mall or maximized to cover the majority of the mall and the parking areas nearby.

Update: I see a new strong blip of LTE in Sensorly right near the Mall of America - the south and west sides of the mall.....

Nice find!

I took a drive over there tonight and tried running Sensorly for the first time. I was getting LTE signal on 86th street all the way to Nicollet ave from the MOA. Not much signal north or south of 86th, however.

We'll see if the purple appears on the Sensorly map..... then I'll know if I was running it properly. lol