Network Vision/LTE - Minnesota Market

CuriousTim

Well looks like I won't get to see Sprint LTE in MN. Sprint sent me a letter saying I have been going over the 300mbs of roaming data. Due to my job I'm in Montana where Sprint is non existent and is all roaming off Verizon towers. So I got them to waive my ETF and am looking at switching to Verizon. Sucks but I can't continue without service. Plus this last weekend we were in Omaha at the Sioux Omaha hockey games. All downtown and at the arenas we did not have data, text, and picture mail even though it was full bars. Have also had poor service in around the twin cities. My wife will still have to pay an ETF. Unless we stay a little longer.

It's too bad your company doesn't spot you a VZW phone for you to use while your in MT.

OK, I finally got over myself, and re-installed Sensorly today, and will do my best to have it on while driving around. I actually already know that my phone will connect to LTE automatically. I have seen it twice. Once in East Bethel and once in Saint Louis Park. Cool, right? :)

The head scratcher is that I work in Eden Prairie, and have been in the purple areas, but have yet to see the 4G indicator around there (even closer to Chanhassen, where it is dark purple). I guess my previous post was more about the fact that we know there is a signal in the area, yet they have not had it available while I have been there. With that other app, I could see that there was a LTE signal, but no 4G. Is that even possible? Maybe that other app was lying...

Which is why I pointed to the LTE engineering screen, even though I don't have one on my phone (cm), I think it's exactly what you are looking for to diagnose your LTE connection. Also we are very much in a pre launch state in the twin cities. Just today I couldn't connect to a tower I always can in Brooklyn Park. Hopefully that's just to help them launch the tower over on Zane.

Which is why I pointed to the LTE engineering screen, even though I don't have one on my phone (cm), I think it's exactly what you are looking for to diagnose your LTE connection. Also we are very much in a pre launch state in the twin cities. Just today I couldn't connect to a tower I always can in Brooklyn Park. Hopefully that's just to help them launch the tower over on Zane.

I'm not that well read on the subject, so I wasn't unsure what the LTE Engineering screens are. So, I headed to Google, and found this:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2040-bars-lie-for-lte-signal-strength-how-to-determine-your-actual-lte-signal-strength/

Which is probably what you are referring to. Thanks!!

• Like 1

I've seen some towers be live with LTE for an extended period then shut down - apparently because we are in a pre-launch state in terms of the market.

At first Eden Prairie/Chanhassen was THE place we could guarantee a connection but at a Christmas Party in mid december at a friends in EP where I'd normally get it it just wasn't happening and I suspected they shut it down again.

Speaking of that, I'm going to check out the Burnsville LTE sometime this weekend again. I want to see if it's still running LTE or not.

I've seen some towers be live with LTE for an extended period then shut down - apparently because we are in a pre-launch state in terms of the market.

At first Eden Prairie/Chanhassen was THE place we could guarantee a connection but at a Christmas Party in mid december at a friends in EP where I'd normally get it it just wasn't happening and I suspected they shut it down again.

Speaking of that, I'm going to check out the Burnsville LTE sometime this weekend again. I want to see if it's still running LTE or not.

When I bring up a LTE /u1900 site it's tested then cell-barred for a few days /week so they can set all the parameters and neighbors etc. It's a pretty standard thing to do.

Hopefully with spring around the corner they pick up the pace. Honestly I was starting to contemplate switching to another carrier. I can't stand the 3G service. But once I used the LTE at my house I think I'll stay with Sprint. I couldn't imagine babysittingy wife and daughters data usage. Not to mention my own

Now if only they would shoot up just a little north of Hugo to forest lake...

I live in the north end of Hugo, and the 4G has been more steady than the 3G.

In other news, 4G has been popping up for me in and around Forest Lake. Sensorly should have some on their maps in Forest Lake.

• Like 1

Its just carry over from the towers in hugo that when the conditions are just right will reach up to forest lake. I've got lte out in Linwood and love it. Hopefully it'll warm up soon and sprint can go all out! I know its going to take time and lots of people are getting impatient, but things don't ever just happen overnight.

• Like 1

So i just got done mapping in Brooklyn Park. The tower on Zane is broadcasting 4g very fast. Also the tower on 81 is broadcasting 4g. I was able to keep 4g from 81 to 169 to 610 to west river road and back to 252 / 85 The 3 towers there are handing off nicely. Brooklyn Park is well covered!

Sent from phone

• Like 1

I have been mapping around the willmar and st. cloud area. Still nothing yet, but hopefully really soon! I don't have an LTE capable device, but when it gets to Willmar, I am for sure going to buy a no contract Note II.

Thanks for all the updates guys!

Edited by blakebaa

I believe Sprint has a tower at Louisiana AVE and Cedar Lake Road in St. Louis Park on the water tower. On Sunday and Monday, I saw a few guys using a bucket lift to work on the cell panels :)

That is great news! :)

Does anyone know why you would have to toggle between Airplane mode to get an LTE signal in areas that are up? I'm wondering if it Is something with Sprint or my phone.

Does anyone know why you would have to toggle between Airplane mode to get an LTE signal in areas that are up? I'm wondering if it Is something with Sprint or my phone.

I know for my phone (HTC EVO 4G LTE), I have to sometimes toggle Airplane mode. This is a known issue with my phone.

When your phone is in 3g, to save battery it only intermittently looks for 4g. If you were sitting in a 4g area long enough, you most likely would switch from 3g to 4g relatively quickly. Different phones have different thresholds for how often they check for LTE and what signal is needed to stay connected. Toggling airplane mode is just an easy way to get the phone to scan for all available networks, including 4g.

When your phone is in 3g, to save battery it only intermittently looks for 4g. If you were sitting in a 4g area long enough, you most likely would switch from 3g to 4g relatively quickly. Different phones have different thresholds for how often they check for LTE and what signal is needed to stay connected. Toggling airplane mode is just an easy way to get the phone to scan for all available networks, including 4g.

That makes sense. Thanks for the information!