Network Vision/LTE - Minnesota Market

CuriousTim

I realize it's already confirmed, but I just had to tell someone. I was up in East Bethel last week, and my EVO found sweet LTE during my brief visit. I was in a small building with a copper roof, and while a friend of mine who is on the network that shall remain nameless could barely make a call I was downloading the Internet. It was nice to see my device living up to its full potential, and automatically connecting without toggling airplane mode.

• Like 2

Why is this so slow??? This is in Blaine with 3 bars.

What is? Is there supposed to be a screenshot?

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

There are dozens of reasons why. Could be as you suggest. It could be interference. It could be other issues effecting signal quality. It could be a backhaul or core issue.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

I'm not going to lie, I've had a couple beers, I don't know what you're talking about. If it's that you can't upload pictures to s4gru, you should be using an image site like imgur to host images and link them in these forums. s4gru wont be hosting all those large picture files.

This is my last post of the evening, so hopefully this helps. I use forum runner to view these forums(with images) from my phone. I'm on android. I usually use my computer to upload images to imgur, they might have an app, or maybe imageshack does? Then this site can just link to that image when you make a forum post. Any time i've linked to imgur, I've been on my computer so i've had the full set of document tools to post replies in.

Some interesting developments tonight: over near my in-laws where speeds have historically been sub 1 megabit in the past I saw this all night at various times:

Speeds around 2 megabit down - very usable. Peak download speed was 2.30 megabit and 1.0 up.

speeds.PNG

Notice this locale is near where a large LTE rollout has occured - I wonder if this is a sign of more to come?

sensorly.PNG

When is 4G/Network Vision coming to Willmar Minnesota? I was told LTE and WiMAX was supposed to be here by the end of 2012, but obviously that never happened. Could I please have an ETA or something for either LTE or Network Vision upgrades?

Edited by blakebaa

I'd be really surprised if they had ever planned to put Wimax in Willmar. As part of the Minnesota market, you could get upgraded towers at any time between now and the end of 2013. Sorry to not be more specific, but there should be full coverage across the market by the fall time frame with 100% towers completed towards the end of the year or shortly after.

Some interesting developments tonight: over near my in-laws where speeds have historically been sub 1 megabit in the past I saw this all night at various times:

Speeds around 2 megabit down - very usable. Peak download speed was 2.30 megabit and 1.0 up.

speeds.PNG

Notice this locale is near where a large LTE rollout has occured - I wonder if this is a sign of more to come?

sensorly.PNG

I work right under the 212 sign on your map. I stream Google music at work all day long, and typically see .5 - 1.5 MB. I will test it tomorrow throughout the course of the day, and report my findings back here.

I just don't understand why they aren't planning for willmar. We have 25,000 people.

So you think your "25,000" is more important than my 2,500,000? Fat chance.

Sprint is deploying when and where they have towers ready. If a tower is ready and a crew is ready then they go to it. Does not matter if its a big city, small city, small town, middle of nowhere, or in a god forsaken patch of highway that very few people uses. If it's ready then they'll go for it. All but a hundred or so of the 38,500 Sprint cell sites will have NV upgrades. Most will receive LTE 1900 at the minimum and many (but not all) will receive LTE 800. They will start when everything's in place.

I just don't understand why they aren't planning for willmar. We have 25,000 people.

They are planning for Willmar, but they are not making any one place a priority. They are upgrading (nearly) every single tower in the network, and are getting each and every tower as soon as it is ready. When the tower(s) in your town are ready, they will be upgraded.

That's what I think a lot of folks don't understand: it doesn't have to do with population density, or that a famous person lives there, or that some Sprint exec has a house there or that the super bowl might be happening nearby: instead, it has to do with mundane stuff like "did the permit go thru with the city?" (they can't just make big changes to the tower if they want) "did the equipment get delivered?" (kind of hard to go LTE without the equipment) "were we able to reserve the big crane on wednesday?" (need to get to the tower) and "is the weather safe enough to do this?" (kinda hard to do it when it's well below zero) and not to mention that "is the crew available on xyz day?" Stuff like that.

If you look here:

http://www.sensorly.com/map/4G/US/USA/Sprint/lte_310sprint

Punch in your city or zip code and you can see where the LTE is - it just started in very late November so we're still in the early stages yet.