Network Vision/LTE - Minnesota Market

CuriousTim

Are they going to be putting lte up with these conditions? Holly crap it is cold!!!!!

I'm not sure if they are pausing during these really cold days. I actually kindof hope so for their safety! I was only outside for 15 minutes today but even that was enough. Hard to believe anyone could use their hands for anything useful when it is this cold. I guess we will know by the numbers of sites complete after next week. Maybe they can still make progress in ways that don't put them into the harsh conditions. I would definitely not want to be up in the bucket today or tomorrow!

• Like 1

How would they get fiber cables to the sites when the ground is frozen, or do they already have them.

I doubt there's any digging in the winter. That would mean that a site would either have to already have the fiber or use microwave backhaul. Sprint will have known this in advance and any sites that need fiber lines to be trenched will wait until the spring thaw.

Digging does not happen after the ground starts to freeze, most digging doesn't pickup again until March-April, depending on temperature. It can cost thousands to do a simple ground bore after frosting since they have to cover the bore site(s) and run several heaters 24/7 until all of the ground frost is thawed out.

Edited by ott3r

We will use gas fired ground heaters here in New Mexico when the ground is frozen and we have to dig for really urgent work. We are using one now up in Los Alamos on a project.

Where do we get these heaters? Minnesota, of course. ;)

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 3

It seems they lit up more towers for LTE in the La Crosse WI area. The area around the intersection of La Crosse St. and West Ave and the tower located near River Valley Dr./Palace St. in the industrial park.

It seems they lit up more towers for LTE in the La Crosse WI area. The area around the intersection of La Crosse St. and West Ave and the tower located near River Valley Dr./Palace St. in the industrial park.

Yea, they were in todays update in the Sponsor section. They were completed on Friday.

• Like 1

Yea, they were in todays update in the Sponsor section. They were completed on Friday.

Thanks for the confirmation. Am I correct to assume this is just the beginning of the rollout and can expect more coverage in the next few months?

As another note, I was excited to see the tower nearest my house get LTE, but as my luck would have it I lose 4G signal 100ft from my place. Will these signals get a boost or is that just the short range limitation of LTE?

Thanks for the confirmation. Am I correct to assume this is just the beginning of the rollout and can expect more coverage in the next few months?

As another note, I was excited to see the tower nearest my house get LTE, but as my luck would have it I lose 4G signal 100ft from my place. Will these signals get a boost or is that just the short range limitation of LTE?

The signal will get optimized and adjusted when watch adjacent site comes online. Every Sprint tower in your area will be upgraded eventually. The coverage will get a little better with each additional site.

• Like 1

I added some more LTE mapping on sensorly. The tower appears to be out west of 94 in Corcoran/Maple Grove area. North of where the previous LTE was lit up. Thanks for the heads up!

Yeah the tower just north of CR 30 just west of CR 116. Pretty sure that's the one since my speed tests and signal spiked right at that intersection and it's the tallest thing around...

Anyone know if they have to pull permits or something to do this work? If they do, knowing the City of Maple Grove and how much of a PITA they can be... I'm not surprised we don't have any tower work going on in our city... :angry:

We will use gas fired ground heaters here in New Mexico when the ground is frozen and we have to dig for really urgent work. We are using one now up in Los Alamos on a project.

Where do we get these heaters? Minnesota, of course. ;)

It would cost a fortune to do that up here. We don't just get a little ground freeze. We get permafrost. So, they typically use that as a last resort for emergencyrepair.

I have seen them run temp over the top and bury in the spring if its a crunch time issue, but typically they just wait until thaw.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

It would cost a fortune to do that up here. We don't just get a little ground freeze. We get permafrost. So, they typically use that as a last resort for emergencyrepair.

I have seen them run temp over the top and bury in the spring if its a crunch time issue, but typically they just wait until thaw.

Los Alamos sits on the side of a mountain between 7,000-8000' ASL. It gets really cold here too, and our ground freezes really deep as well. And it's very expensive to run ground heaters. You only do it because you have to.

We do it quite often in minnesota, never seen any perma frost here either...

We do it quite often in minnesota, never seen any perma frost here either...

Maybe MN calls it something different. Deep freeze better for you?

They call it permafrost in cheeseland.

I've seen it done for repair, never for new install or upgrade. Maybe you guys hold frost longer than we do.

The term is used facetiously. Permafrost is when it is so cold that the ground never thaws out. It exists in the Arctic.<br /><br />Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk<br />

• Like 1

I've seen it done for repair, never for new install or upgrade. Maybe you guys hold frost longer than we do.

We call it frost or "the frost line" 3.5'-5' on average

What Robert said. Permafrost only exists in the Arctic (or otherwise continuously cold regions). It means the ground never thaws out.

I saw 4g coming off the cell at 494 and 169 this morning in Eden Prairie for the first time today. I popped Sensorly up to map it, but only got 23 points mapped before it bumped me back to 3 g.

The cell on Technology Dr has been running 4 g for a while too, but like a lot of them it tends to bump back to 3 g after a while.

I saw 4g coming off the cell at 494 and 169 this morning in Eden Prairie for the first time today. I popped Sensorly up to map it, but only got 23 points mapped before it bumped me back to 3 g.

The cell on Technology Dr has been running 4 g for a while too, but like a lot of them it tends to bump back to 3 g after a while.

It's not the tower on the east it's the midland bank on the west side next to winter park FYI ( if it has been upgraded)