Network Vision/LTE - Minnesota Market

CuriousTim

I've noticed too for instance the Eagan tower that went live a couple weeks ago - I drove past that area for work and got a LTE signal at -125 dbm (I was a ways away from the tower heading towards 494 to head east) and lost the tower at one point.

But then as I was crossing the bridge to head from Eagan back to Bloomington I briefly got an LTE signal again and I suspect it's signal bleed coming from that Eagan tower across the long flat expanse of Long Meadow Lake allowing that due to no obstructions.

And it's thursday again - keep close watch on sensorly and your phone because it seems since the first towers went live November 25th all the new sites go active on thursday evenings.

I would think that lack of LTE connectivity would be a warranty replacement.

Its not. Just like all those that bought EVO's with WiMax, and never got WiMax coverage. You should read your terms of service.

I've noticed since getting LTE signal will do the funniest things. Driving up 694 through Brooklyn Center, i'll drive down a hill and lose 4g and a mile later and pop up and pick up the tower again.

Its just like 3G and any other wireless network. You can lose connection when you go into valleys.

This could be a dumb question... is there ANY way that a phone can show 4G near the signal bars, but not ACTUALLY be in LTE coverage... I swear it seems like my phone plays tricks on me and flashes 4G in Maple Grove in areas that don't have coverage...

Or am I nuts... :blink:

By the way, I mapped the new little blip in Sensorly at Weaver Lake Rd and I-94 today during one of these "moments."

There's an active LTE tower in the Corcoran area (2 actually), so you could be getting 4G LTE from there.

Also, I like how many of you get upset when told false information from a rep. Rep's go on info that's been passed to them from others within Sprint. Reps are generally told not to tell customers about internal information. BTW, WiMax was suppose to expand into the St. Cloud area. Its not the Sprint reps fault it didn't happen.

Confirming new LTE coverage in Maple Grove. This is different than down 101. This now extends to my house where I previously had only 3G until Tuesday. Which is along 89th Ave and down into as far as the Walmart area extending over to the Super Target.

• Like 2

I would think that lack of LTE connectivity would be a warranty replacement.

Its not. Just like all those that bought EVO's with WiMax, and never got WiMax coverage. You should read your terms of service.

But there is LTE coverage. If you are in a coverage area, which do exist, but you phone doesn't connect to it, then I do think that would warrant a replacement.

As David pointed out above, you misunderstood the post. Obviously lack of coverage would not be an issue for warranty replacement. But if your device is defective and will not connect to LTE that is live, that would be cause for warranty replacement.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

As David pointed out above, you misunderstood the post. Obviously lack of coverage would not be an issue for warranty replacement. But if your device is defective and will not connect to LTE that is live, that would be cause for warranty replacement.

But there is LTE coverage. If you are in a coverage area, which do exist, but you phone doesn't connect to it, then I do think that would warrant a replacement.

Yes if the LTE isn't working the phone completely it would be replaced but currently, there isn't a Sprint Repair store that has LTE connectivity over it in MN. They would not be able to confirm the issue.

Unless the market is announced and launched, LTE service may or may not work. If the market is launched and you can not connect anywhere, that may be an issue which warrants warranty..

Yes if the LTE isn't working the phone completely it would be replaced but currently, there isn't a Sprint Repair store that has LTE connectivity over it in MN. They would not be able to confirm the issue.

I have heard of stores replacing phones where LTE was active in the market but not at the store. It doesn't have to be verified in the store, you just got to make sure the customer is not an idiot and just wasn't in a non coverage area or had their LTE turned off. It certainly helps if they have had two Sprint LTE devices side by side and couldn't get service on the offending device. It just takes the store asking the right questions to discern if there really is a device problem.

Unless the market is announced and launched, LTE service may or may not work. If the market is launched and you can not connect anywhere, that may be an issue which warrants warranty..

You said, warrants warranty. That's awesome. :hee:

• Like 2

Confirming new LTE coverage in Maple Grove. This is different than down 101. This now extends to my house where I previously had only 3G until Tuesday. Which is along 89th Ave and down into as far as the Walmart area extending over to the Super Target.

I'm going to try and find that tower and get pictures as soon as I can. Unfortunately work keeps me here till it's dark outside, so pictures will have to wait for the weekend.

And you should read the whole conversation before you stick your nose in it.

• Like 1

Between two apps on my rooted EVO LTE I get no LTE connectivity on it. Settings are set to all networks, I then use either LTE connectivity app or Sensorly app. I am in Rochester and go down the streets (in town) that are purple on the sensorly app and don't get any LTE. I will try HYW 14 to Kasson tonight. If nothing I will then try either a new rom (AOSP is all I run) or a stock Rom to try over the weekend.

Just thought I'd toss in my 2 cents

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

I added some more LTE mapping on sensorly. The tower appears to be out west of 94 in Corcoran/Maple Grove area. North of where the previous LTE was lit up. Thanks for the heads up!

Except he's not talking about lack of coverage, but the phone not getting lte signal in an area that IS covered with lte (e.g. due to a faulty phone).

• Like 1

So I've been watching this thread since Early December. Just where oh where is the LTE love in the South metro? Everything is north on the sensorly map? Furthest South I see is Eagan. Any idea when Apple Valley, burnsville, rosemount, will start popping up? I see the Airport has a few spots but so far have not been able to pick any up. And I would have expected to see the mall of America and Bloomington to have some due to the tourist trap it is.

Oh well... I realize Sprint is just rolling this out in phases. But seems odd that the south metro has nothing as of yet. Would have been cool to take screen shots of the map showing progress. Any insight?

BTW... Go SIOUX!

Yep. LTE in LaCrosse!

I can confirm. It seems the Sprint tower located near the Gund Brewery Loft Apartments on South Ave has LTE. I got a consistent 19Mbps down (but I was pretty close to the tower.) Other places around town, as far north as La Crosse St. saw slower speeds, but still a welcome sight for anyone who's dealt with Sprint's 3G in Lax. I did some mapping on Sensorly today if anyone want's to see the coverage. Out of all the Sprint towers I'm aware of it seems that is the only one with LTE.

Edit: Actually I'm not so sure. I picked up a strong LTE signal around the La Crosse St/West Ave area. Sprint has some network equipment on top of one of the buildings in that location.

Edited by cesjr02

So I've been watching this thread since Early December. Just where oh where is the LTE love in the South metro? Everything is north on the sensorly map? Furthest South I see is Eagan. Any idea when Apple Valley, burnsville, rosemount, will start popping up? I see the Airport has a few spots but so far have not been able to pick any up. And I would have expected to see the mall of America and Bloomington to have some due to the tourist trap it is.

Oh well... I realize Sprint is just rolling this out in phases. But seems odd that the south metro has nothing as of yet. Would have been cool to take screen shots of the map showing progress. Any insight?

BTW... Go SIOUX!

There's some sensorly blips surrounding the airport - I suspect one is coming from on top of the VA medical center, there's another right in the airport near the Glumack Drive terminal and another south at 34th and 494 which I was unable to get on my own phone but it appeared the tower was on Delta Airlines property behind as security so I couldn't see if they'd done a network vision upgrade on it. And then another blip to the northwest side of the airport near a park.

I'm hoping the south metro gets some LTE love soon but being that this is an unlaunched market we might see it come in later. I never imagined Rochester would get widespread LTE before Bloomington but sometimes they're up against city permits being stalled, equipment needed, bad weather and the availability of everyone to get the job done.

OK I take everything back I said a few post back. I got sensorly and my phone (rooted Evo LTE) to connect to 4G LTE: (this is in Rochester)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

post-9853-13585521372377_thumb.jpg

Edited by webby_s
  • Like 1

I added some more LTE mapping on sensorly. The tower appears to be out west of 94 in Corcoran/Maple Grove area. North of where the previous LTE was lit up. Thanks for the heads up!

You bet! Speed tests are a little slower than expected but it is still five times faster than 3G. Getting about 6.6 down 4.5 up. Only two of five bars though.

Hello!

Just joined, but plan to contribute some Sensorly readings/mappings in the coming weeks. Excited about the LTE sightings in Blaine/Coon Rapids as I'm up there for work 1-2 days / week. Tried out LTE for the first time when I was in Chicago over the holidays, but wasn't in the best area for coverage. I read the post where someone noticed NV equipment on the tower by 36 & Rice in Roseville - hopefully that tower goes live soon. Practically just up the street from where I live, so I'm hoping to see some good coverage in that area.

I have heard of stores replacing phones where LTE was active in the market but not at the store. It doesn't have to be verified in the store, you just got to make sure the customer is not an idiot and just wasn't in a non coverage area or had their LTE turned off. It certainly helps if they have had two Sprint LTE devices side by side and couldn't get service on the offending device. It just takes the store asking the right questions to discern if there really is a device problem.

It does have to be verified in store to warrant a replacement (i.e. failing a signal test).

Except he's not talking about lack of coverage, but the phone not getting lte signal in an area that IS covered with lte (e.g. due to a faulty phone).

According to Sensorly there's LTE coverage. Remember Sensorly is not official coverage.

It does have to be verified in store to warrant a replacement (i.e. failing a signal test).

You can say that, yet it happens.