Network Vision/LTE - Minnesota Market

CuriousTim

1. I live en Eden Prairie close to the water tower and close to Costco. I'm able to get LTE every morning and late at night (about 2 bars) Not the case during the day thou. Some speed test are 10+ Megs down 5 up

Thanks Robert and frozen_coder! I noticed the switch to eHRPD several months ago, and it seems to be active all over Duluth and down I-35 to the Cities. Have noticed some improvement in 3G speed over in Lakeside but speeds downtown are still atrocious. Hopefully we'll have some 4g goodness soon!

I was in downtown Duluth this week and agree there were times when speeds were really slow, however that seemed to be due to signal penetration problems in some of the old brick building. When signal was decent I was averaging speeds of 1.5Mbps, which made me happy, and my phone was enjoyable to use.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to test LTE in Duluth like I was hoping to.

1. I live en Eden Prairie close to the water tower and close to Costco. I'm able to get LTE every morning and late at night (about 2 bars) Not the case during the day thou. Some speed test are 10+ Megs down 5 up

I was over there last night and had brief signal on Flying Cloud and Technology Drive but that was about it.

Thanks gameaddict!

I had nice signal today in St Louis Park by Home Depot and Costco.

Right up by the West End shops and theater is where it seemed to turn on literally right after I saw a movie up there with the wife about a week ago. It was strange but we were soon away from that area. 100 and 394 area.

I was in the St. Louis Park/Golden Valley area today and got some speedtest screenshots to show what you can expect:

1.PNG

This is what I got when I first entered the area. Not bad at all.

These were from taking speedtests running down the frontage road heading west near Xenia/Park Place along 394 - I was taking a screenshot about every two minutes.

2.PNG

3.PNG

Best download speed here - best upload speed seemed to peak around 9 megabit but not here.

5.PNG

I had to head back to 3G land shortly after taking this one.

6.PNG

I figured out the signal closest to where the Canadian Pacific Railroad crosses 394 was coming from this tower near the defunct Eliot Park auto service:

tower.JPG

I have pics of the cabinets on the ground in a little fenced in area if anyone is interested.

• Like 1

Do you have a time range of when LTE will be finished in Minneapolis?? And on sprints website under network.sprint.com there are capacity upgrades on some of the towers will those have LTE to

It is too early to make an accurate estimation. We were given a schedule from an internal source, but the dates are not matching up with what is actually happening, so any guess would be just that, a guess.

What we have determined is that some data speed upgrades on that network.sprint site are LTE, but capacity upgrades are usually just adding more carriers to 3G or voice. Nearly every sprint site nationwide is being upgraded, and will receive LTE, it is something like 99 percent. A large majority (about 80%) will also see future upgrades with LTE 800mhz being added. The reason for less 800mhz sites, is that when there are densely packed cell sites, the increased range would cause interference if they all received 800 LTE. The consumer shouldn't see any holes in 800 LTE even though it is not on "every site"

800 will not be deployed til all the towers are decommissioned on nextels network which should be around summer time this year then they will start to deploy it after that. :)

July 1st 2013 is when Nextel is no more, I got a letter from Sprint a couple of months ago.

• Like 2

Work in NYC started last year, and is fully mobilized. Work is just starting on Minnesota. Plus, it is just a theory of ours that network vision upgrades even show up on that website. Also, NYC is much larger and more populated than Minneapolis. It requires more sites.

Not to mention that when I started looking into this the first sites for LTE on Sprint showed in in Eden Prairie in November 25th. We are not even two months into the process and this map should show you a pretty good representation of all the LTE in this area:

http://www.sensorly.com/map/4G/US/USA/Sprint/lte_310sprint#q=Minneapolis%20St.%20Paul

The Purple is where LTE is presently but more and more shows up all of the time.

It looks like that spot in Jordan keeps getting bigger and bigger... Sure would be nice if they would do something in Shakopee, we barely get 3G right now!

I'm seeing isolated spots of LTE in Shakopee - it may be "skip" coming from up the hill in Eden Prairie but someone has tracked LTE in Shakopee on Sensorly.

• Like 1

We're is my lte in maplewood/roseville 55117 and are they getting lte in park rapid mn ever and if so when?

Probably soon - there's LTE all around you - in St. Paul to the South, 494 in Maplewood to the east, Downtown Minneapolis and St. Louis Park/Golden Valley to the west, and White Bear Lake/Hugo to the north. They'll fill it in sooner or later.

And regarding the next iPhone - Apple is notoriously tight lipped about ANY of their new devices but you might look at http://www.macrumors.com/ for the next few months.

I own an iPhone5 and it works great on LTE. But I live in Bloomingrton so no LTE fun just yet, it's when I visit offices I work at that I get to get the LTE.

• Like 1

I'm seeing isolated spots of LTE in Shakopee - it may be "skip" coming from up the hill in Eden Prairie but someone has tracked LTE in Shakopee on Sensorly.

That is kind of what I thought it was as well, skipping.

I had LTE for just a bit one day by the hightschool here, thats about it. I was in the Sprint store here in Shakopee last Friday and they claime that they have LTE in the store from time to time..

Any news on the St. cloud market? I'm dying for a taste of 4G LTE

I saw people working on the tower by the Coborns on Cooper a couple months ago. It certainly appears to be upgraded to NV. I should swing by and take some good pictures of it.

I saw people working on the tower by the Coborns on Cooper a couple months ago. It certainly appears to be upgraded to NV. I should swing by and take some good pictures of it.

I had talked to the employees at the Sprint store at crossroads, and they had said that they were all updated and they are just waiting to power them on, around the end of January. So hopefully they will do some testing first?

I had talked to the employees at the Sprint store at crossroads, and they had said that they were all updated and they are just waiting to power them on, around the end of January. So hopefully they will do some testing first?

I think I'm tiring of the "they're all done, they just need to flip a switch" story that keeps getting disseminated from stores. It is not true. Once a site is fully complete with LTE upgrades and accepted by Sprint, they turn it on. They are not waiting for the entire St. Cloud area to complete to turn on LTE. That being said, the first site in St. Cloud is probably within 30 days away.

Robert

• Like 1

I think I'm tiring of the "they're all done, they just need to flip a switch" story that keeps getting disseminated from stores. It is not true. Once a site is fully complete with LTE upgrades and accepted by Sprint, they turn it on. They are not waiting for the entire St. Cloud area to complete to turn on LTE. That being said, the first site in St. Cloud is probably within 30 days away.

Robert

Ok thanks Robert!.

• Like 1

That being said, as soon as I see a tower live in Saint Paul I'm going to cruise every single street until I have mapped the whole coverage area, because instant gratification. I'm weird, what of it?

I did the same thing in linwood. Well, I skipped a couple of areas, but I do plan to go back and finish some day.