Network Vision/LTE - Minnesota Market

CuriousTim

Was driving home from my parents house on 35 near owatonna, and mapped my LTE signal on sensorly. I was able to keep the signal for a pretty good distance before switching back to 3G. The below speedtests were taken a couple miles apart.

post-9124-0-18133700-1356541358_thumb.png

post-9124-0-35001400-1356541371_thumb.png

Edited by dirtrcr17rul
  • Like 1

I don't understand why the signals are so hit and miss in the western suburbs. I was heading down 212 yesterday and had a LTE signal most of the way from EP Road to almost 41. Today I was on it again and I get nothing.

I have yet to receive an LTE signal on HWY 5 but it shows on Sensorly that there is a signal there.

Are they only turning it on when they are working on it and then shut it down when they go home for the day?

I don't understand why the signals are so hit and miss in the western suburbs. I was heading down 212 yesterday and had a LTE signal most of the way from EP Road to almost 41. Today I was on it again and I get nothing.

I have yet to receive an LTE signal on HWY 5 but it shows on Sensorly that there is a signal there.

Are they only turning it on when they are working on it and then shut it down when they go home for the day?

This is common in unlauched markets. Sometimes the signals come and go. It will be back soon

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

I did some mapping with Sensorly the other day... got a little blip on 101 in NW Maple Grove several miles North of the hotspot at 101 and Bass... not sure where the heck this tower is, I didn't run East or West to find out... Really hoping NE Maple Grove gets something started soon, ready to get this Galaxy S3 rolling!

Getting LTE spots in Downtown Minneapolis, at long last. Nothing showing up in the Warehouse District as of today, though I did get word from a friend he had signal all through the night until he left for work (along 9th and Marquette). This is welcome news, because you could hardly use the 3g that was available at the time.

My first speedtest was run outdoors on Marquette and 5th St netted me 31kbps down / 44kbps upload, 1194ms latency. I was thuroughly dissapointed for a new subscriber, so this is welcome news.

Edited by ott3r

Getting LTE spots in Downtown Minneapolis, at long last. Nothing showing up in the Warehouse District as of today, though I did get word from a friend he had signal all through the night until he left for work (along 9th and Marquette). This is welcome news, because you could hardly use the 3g that was available at the time.

My first speedtest was run outdoors on Marquette and 5th St netted me 31kbps down / 44kbps upload, 1194ms latency. I was thuroughly dissapointed for a new subscriber, so this is welcome news.

You're right it's in Sensorly too! Keep in mind that the towers downtown will probably have a lot of down tilt and not travel very far.

Drove by tower at Ewing Ave S and Egan Drive in Burnsville, MN on Friday 1-4-2013 and noticed it now has fiber lines and NV antennas in place. Don't know if it is working yet.

• Like 3

I'm right there with you. I generally work in Minneapolis, and the current 3g speeds are about as close to unusable as I can imagine. I came from Verizon and though I have no one to blame but myself for not doing my research, the difference in speed is staggering.

I just ran a speed test and was at 26 kbps/19 kbps with 900ms latency. That's from the Lake/1st Ave area in MPLS.

Nowhere to go but up I suppose.

Did anyone see another site by the airport go live? It's a bit south and east of the one near the VA Medical Center (that my own phone never was able to connect to) and a bit to the northwest of the Air Reserve station.

And, Sensorly shows an intense blip right near 34th avenue on 494! Cool! That's reasonably near my place and about a mile west of the blips we saw on the long bridge towards eagan.

Did anyone see another site by the airport go live? It's a bit south and east of the one near the VA Medical Center (that my own phone never was able to connect to) and a bit to the northwest of the Air Reserve station.

And, Sensorly shows an intense blip right near 34th avenue on 494! Cool! That's reasonably near my place and about a mile west of the blips we saw on the long bridge towards eagan.

I was in the VA parking lot on Sunday and tried to get 4G. Got nothing even after cycling the airplane mode.

Was in Monticello this morning and did a speed test for fun. Got about 10mbps down and about 5mbps up... Very recently popped up so I would guess it will get fast... Can't complain though... Used to 1mbps down on good days around here with the 3g... Hopefully they start moving east on 94 from there!

I'm right there with you. I generally work in Minneapolis, and the current 3g speeds are about as close to unusable as I can imagine. I came from Verizon and though I have no one to blame but myself for not doing my research, the difference in speed is staggering.

I just ran a speed test and was at 26 kbps/19 kbps with 900ms latency. That's from the Lake/1st Ave area in MPLS.

Nowhere to go but up I suppose.

Agreed about the unusable speeds in Minneapolis. I work downtown and my speeds are always bad. I love seeing some spots lighting up close by. :)

Was in Monticello this morning and did a speed test for fun. Got about 10mbps down and about 5mbps up... Very recently popped up so I would guess it will get fast... Can't complain though... Used to 1mbps down on good days around here with the 3g... Hopefully they start moving east on 94 from there!

That tower probably wont speed up much for that location. LTE speeds are generally signal/distance dependent on unloaded networks and to get 10MB at all you would need to be on the upgraded backhaul.

On my home tonight from downtown Minneapolis I got an LTE signal once I turned on to 1st Ave from 7th Street and it lasted until I hit the metered lights just before entering 394.

I didn't know this until I actually looked at the streets but 1st Ave turns into 9th Street North and then into Hawthorne even though you never exit off of it. Weird

Anyone heard about any work being done on towers in northern Minnesota (e.g. the Duluth area)?

Duluth is on the list of cities slated to get 4G in the coming months (see the latest wall post on s4gru) but I'm not aware of any specific network vision upgrades just yet in the Duluth area.

However, I have noticed (via sensorly app) that eHRPD has been enabled on quite a few towers including towers in the Woodland/Hunter's Park neighborhood, downtown, and near the mall. I have also noticed big change in the 3G speeds downtown, I have been pulling 1.5 - 2 Mbps during speed tests; although that could just be due to some non-network vision upgrades that have occurred (see network.sprint.com). As soon as I notice any LTE signals popping up I plan on posting.

My job training is in Eden Prairie. Looks like LTE is there. How convenient. Lol

Just wondering but where in EP are you getting a signal? Is it a stable signal? Every time I am over there it is very spotty for me.

Duluth is on the list of cities slated to get 4G in the coming months (see the latest wall post on s4gru) but I'm not aware of any specific network vision upgrades just yet in the Duluth area.

However, I have noticed (via sensorly app) that eHRPD has been enabled on quite a few towers including towers in the Woodland/Hunter's Park neighborhood, downtown, and near the mall. I have also noticed big change in the 3G speeds downtown, I have been pulling 1.5 - 2 Mbps during speed tests; although that could just be due to some non-network vision upgrades that have occurred (see network.sprint.com). As soon as I notice any LTE signals popping up I plan on posting.

Work is under way in Duluth. I just haven't received a site list yet.

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk

Thanks Robert and frozen_coder! I noticed the switch to eHRPD several months ago, and it seems to be active all over Duluth and down I-35 to the Cities. Have noticed some improvement in 3G speed over in Lakeside but speeds downtown are still atrocious. Hopefully we'll have some 4g goodness soon!