Is Sprint still on track to utilize Clearwire LTE in 2013?

ericdabbs

It makes sense in theory that Sprint should begin pushing Tri-band LTE support devices later on this year. We'll have to see with Sprint devices later on this year if they actually include tri-band LTE support. Depending on when the iPhone 5S is released, it could be the first LTE device with tri-band LTE support or it could be the Galaxy Note 3.

They would have to have some form of network in place for the tri-band support, and I don't believe Clearwire has enabled 1 site.

They would have to have some form of network in place for the tri-band support, and I don't believe Clearwire has enabled 1 site.

Clearwire has said in the Q4 CC that they have about 1000 sites mostly complete with their TD-LTE overlay. I am not sure if they are just waiting for backhaul or site approval. Just because Clearwire doesn't have its TD-LTE network enabled doesn't mean it hasn't begun construction. Besides, even back in Dec 2011, Sprint made an agreement with Clearwire with a prepayment that they will begin to use Clearwire's TD-LTE capacity beginning mid year 2013 so there wouldn't be any enabled sites currently anyways. Of course now with the pending merger transaction, Sprint and Clearwire don't need to uphold to their time line of mid 2013. I expect that we may see some Clearwire LTE by late 2013.

With 800 MHz LTE deployment, the majority of the hard work is complete. From what I have been reading to add 800 MHz LTE is a carrier card in the BTS and some testing. Maybe in some cases like Ericcson, they may need to add another RRU at the top of the tower to support 800 MHz LTE but I believe A/L and Samsung already have the tower top equipment in place in the initial Network Vision construction build. So I can see 800 MHz LTE deployment much faster than the 1900 MHz LTE rollout given that 800 MHz LTE will not be rolled out at each tower. I expect to see some 800 MHz LTE coverage before end of 2013.

Clearwire has said in the Q4 CC that they have about 1000 sites mostly complete with their TD-LTE overlay. I am not sure if they are just waiting for backhaul or site approval. Just because Clearwire doesn't have its TD-LTE network enabled doesn't mean it hasn't begun construction. Besides, even back in Dec 2011, Sprint made an agreement with Clearwire with a prepayment that they will begin to use Clearwire's TD-LTE capacity beginning mid year 2013 so there wouldn't be any enabled sites currently anyways. Of course now with the pending merger transaction, Sprint and Clearwire don't need to uphold to their time line of mid 2013. I expect that we may see some Clearwire LTE by late 2013.

With 800 MHz LTE deployment, the majority of the hard work is complete. From what I have been reading to add 800 MHz LTE is a carrier card in the BTS and some testing. Maybe in some cases like Ericcson, they may need to add another RRU at the top of the tower to support 800 MHz LTE but I believe A/L and Samsung already have the tower top equipment in place in the initial Network Vision construction build. So I can see 800 MHz LTE deployment much faster than the 1900 MHz LTE rollout given that 800 MHz LTE will not be rolled out at each tower. I expect to see some 800 MHz LTE coverage before end of 2013.

I agree with your statement on 800mhz, but I was speaking more about the 2500mhz, not sure how much of that work is actually done, and as far as we've seen, no devices filtering through FCC which support that BC.

I agree with your statement on 800mhz, but I was speaking more about the 2500mhz, not sure how much of that work is actually done, and as far as we've seen, no devices filtering through FCC which support that BC.

I think that at the moment, Clearwire is focused on trying to get the Sprint/Softbank/Clearwire merger completed that they have not worried too much about pumping out TD-LTE devices/hotspots out into the market since their major customer will be Sprint. I think once the merger is approved by the FCC hopefully in June and the vote is in favor of the merger, Clearwire will bring more focus back to TD-LTE for 2H 2013.

But the GTI effort is still working hard around the world to ensure devices and interoperability between FDD and TDD LTE is supported. Also since Softbank does have TD-LTE working in Japan, they can bring their expertise to Sprint and Clearwire to create compatible 2.5 GHz devices.

So recommend to wait until later this year to use my Sprint device upgrade?

That is what I am doing. At first, I was set on getting the Galaxy S4 but after seeing that the Sprint Galaxy S4 still only supports 1900 MHz LTE and getting to like the Galaxy Note series more, I am definitely waiting for the Galaxy Note 3 to come out to upgrade. I just hope the Note 3 has tri-band LTE support.

So recommend to wait until later this year to use my Sprint device upgrade?

If you have have LTE where you live now and you don't have an LTE phone yet i wouldn't wait, If you don't have LTE yet i might wait it out for a Tri-band phone. However i don't expect 800 SMR LTE until later 2013 (assuming Sprint gets on the ball.)

Once this Softbank/Sprint/Clearwire merger gets approved, Sprint will continue to focus on Network Vision and its 800 and 2500 MHz LTE rollout. This merger is a major distraction but a necessary one that will help Sprint for their future.

• 3 weeks later...

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1373671-clearwire-management-discusses-q1-2013-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

With respect to our LTE build, we continue to make significant progress in the first quarter, expanding our TDD-LTE commission sites awaiting connection to Sprint's core to approximately 1,300 sites at quarter end and increasing it to approximately 1,600 sites today. We remain on track to meet the 4G MVNO agreement build milestones of 2,000 LTE sites on air by the end of June 2013 and 5,000 LTE sites on air by the end of December of 2013. The first 2,000 sites will be located in major urban centers of major markets, including New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Miami and Seattle. In addition, we are working closely with Sprint on site interoperability tests and have begun testing some of their new TDD-LTE devices to support their plans to introduce TDD-LTE-capable devices to Sprint customers in the third quarter.

We have seen expansion in the TDD-LTE device portfolio in the broader global TDD ecosystem as well with the introduction of several new devices during the quarter. In addition, we were pleased to see Samsung announce plans to introduce a dual-mode version of their iconic GALAXY S4 smartphone, which will support TDD-LTE later this year.

During the quarter, we continued our efforts to facilitate global data roaming and recently completed our trials with China Mobile Hong Kong and China Mobile with whom we have a roaming memorandum of understanding. Based on the success of the trials, we are actively pursuing roaming agreements with other GTI members towards realizing our vision of enabling broadband data access on a single device anywhere users travel around the world at reasonable rates. To this end, we continue to lead the GTI's efforts to develop a multimode, multiband data device currently being tested. This device is decide to operate in 5 modes, including both TDD and FDD LTE on 12 frequency bands. It will allow users to access broadband wireless networks almost anywhere in the world.

Our backhaul is ready, and the 1,600 sites are LTE ready, they are fully commissioned. And yes, we are waiting for them to be connected to Sprint's core.
  • Like 1