PRL 25013/51095 Changes

MacinJosh

Interesting.. I got my hands on a iPhone5 PRL. They enabled 800SMR for the iPhone5 as well but there is a HUGE difference between how it works and say a Note2 or S3. The Note2 and S3 will use 800SMR all the time when it is available. The iPhone5 will only use 800SMR when every attempt to acquire a Sprint PCS signal is made.

So the iPhone 5 does have 800SMR enabled now? But it's just not a priority. I wonder if there are software related issues in iOS that cause a problem with 800SMR scans. Maybe it will be fixed in iOS 7.

So the iPhone 5 does have 800SMR enabled now? But it's just not a priority. I wonder if there are software related issues in iOS that cause a problem with 800SMR scans. Maybe it will be fixed in iOS 7.

Yes, it has the scans in there but they are not even on the same priority level. It's almost like a roaming partner. Even on 800SMR the iPhone will constantly looking for a PCS signal. Unlike the other phones that will not actively look for PCS when on 800smr. The other phones actually scan for 800SMR first.

Sent from my little Note2

Yes, it has the scans in there but they are not even on the same priority level. It's almost like a roaming partner. Even on 800SMR the iPhone will constantly looking for a PCS signal. Unlike the other phones that will not actively look for PCS when on 800smr. The other phones actually scan for 800SMR first. Sent from my little Note2

Wow. Strange setup.

Yes, it has the scans in there but they are not even on the same priority level. It's almost like a roaming partner. Even on 800SMR the iPhone will constantly looking for a PCS signal. Unlike the other phones that will not actively look for PCS when on 800smr. The other phones actually scan for 800SMR first.

I was hopeful that the unwashed masses of iPhone users would be kept off SMR 800 MHz because Apple's arrogant stubbornness would make it unwilling to incorporate CDMA1X 800 capability. But this is almost as good...

:P

AJ

• Like 12

Interesting, so even in an area which has 800SMR online, my iPhone 5 running PRL 51095 will actively scan for a native PCS signal first? What about once the device is connected to the 800SMR? Will it still scan and latch onto a really bad PCS signal?

I'm thinking about inbuilding areas and such, or houses where PCS barely makes it in (-105,-110dB).

Interesting, so even in an area which has 800SMR online, my iPhone 5 running PRL 51095 will actively scan for a native PCS signal first? What about once the device is connected to the 800SMR? Will it still scan and latch onto a really bad PCS signal?

I'm thinking about inbuilding areas and such, or houses where PCS barely makes it in (-105,-110dB).

Refer back to my What is a PRL? article after you read this if you need to. Let me break this down.

We are in an area with perfect Sprint PCS signal, Sprint SMR, and VZW 850. Turn on your GS3 and turn on your iPhone5. The S3 will scan 800SMR first and attach. It is at the highest priority in the geographic area so the scanning rules are satisfied and will not scan for anything further unless something happens to the signal. On that same priority level is the PCS signal but since it is second in the scan it uses 800SMR first. What's the difference you may ask about scan order and priority? If the S3 attaches to PCS it will not actively scan for 800SMR as the scanning rules are satisfied being on the same priority level. However it may periodically check the spectrum when the chipset is idle. Now back to the iPhone5, it will scan and see PCS first and attach. Now since the PCS signal is fine the chipset will not attach to the 800SMR since it is in lower priority level. So potentially if 1X signals were compared between the phones the S3 would have a better signal.

Now lets move into a building with thick concrete walls. Marginal Sprint PCS, and decent Sprint 800SMR and VZW 850. The S3 will happily use the 800SMR just as it was outside without any hand offs or drops. The iPhone5 could possibly struggle to keep the PCS signal.

Move farther in where no Sprint PCS is available and poor to okay 800SMR and VZW 850. The iPhone will attach to 800SMR and so will the S3. But since the iPhone is now sitting on a second level priority the phone will make efforts to look for that PCS signal on the first priority and attach when possible to satisfy the scanning rules. Now the S3 since it is still on level one priority it doesn't care and continues to use 800SMR.

Move to an area with no Sprint at all and only VZW 850. The S3 will scan for 800SMR first then PCS and use either of them when it is available. The iPhone will look for that PCS signal first then look for the 800SMR second.

Another reason of "why" comes to mind that could possibly be rather simple... if you are in an 800SMR area, there is probably LTE right? So what does the iPhone5 show on the signal indicator? LTE. S3 signal indicator? 1X. Especially if you are from NYC where people like to measure stuff all the time, if your iPhone5 is now using a stronger 1X signal you wouldn't notice it since it shows your LTE signal. So it's a waste of precious 1X traffic being attached to that single CDMA carrier. Now upgrade the PRL on the S3 and now instantly your phone shows more bars in more places ;) Instant gratification and amazing smiles from the new signal!

• Like 3

Refer back to my What is a PRL? article after you read this if you need to. Let me break this down.

We are in an area with perfect Sprint PCS signal, Sprint SMR, and VZW 850. Turn on your GS3 and turn on your iPhone5. The S3 will scan 800SMR first and attach. It is at the highest priority in the geographic area so the scanning rules are satisfied and will not scan for anything further unless something happens to the signal. On that same priority level is the PCS signal but since it is second in the scan it uses 800SMR first. What's the difference you may ask about scan order and priority? If the S3 attaches to PCS it will not actively scan for 800SMR as the scanning rules are satisfied being on the same priority level. However it may periodically check the spectrum when the chipset is idle. Now back to the iPhone5, it will scan and see PCS first and attach. Now since the PCS signal is fine the chipset will not attach to the 800SMR since it is in lower priority level. So potentially if 1X signals were compared between the phones the S3 would have a better signal.

Now lets move into a building with thick concrete walls. Marginal Sprint PCS, and decent Sprint 800SMR and VZW 850. The S3 will happily use the 800SMR just as it was outside without any hand offs or drops. The iPhone5 could possibly struggle to keep the PCS signal.

Move farther in where no Sprint PCS is available and poor to okay 800SMR and VZW 850. The iPhone will attach to 800SMR and so will the S3. But since the iPhone is now sitting on a second level priority the phone will make efforts to look for that PCS signal on the first priority and attach when possible to satisfy the scanning rules. Now the S3 since it is still on level one priority it doesn't care and continues to use 800SMR.

Move to an area with no Sprint at all and only VZW 850. The S3 will scan for 800SMR first then PCS and use either of them when it is available. The iPhone will look for that PCS signal first then look for the 800SMR second.

Another reason of "why" comes to mind that could possibly be rather simple... if you are in an 800SMR area, there is probably LTE right? So what does the iPhone5 show on the signal indicator? LTE. S3 signal indicator? 1X. Especially if you are from NYC where people like to measure stuff all the time, if your iPhone5 is now using a stronger 1X signal you wouldn't notice it since it shows your LTE signal. So it's a waste of precious 1X traffic being attached to that single CDMA carrier. Now upgrade the PRL on the S3 and now instantly your phone shows more bars in more places ;) Instant gratification and amazing smiles from the new signal!

Good point, didn't even consider the indicator. THE LGOG conflicts this though, as it shows LTE strength.

Especially if you are from NYC where people like to measure stuff all the time...

I never knew that.

;)

AJ

Ok so in that instance, what you're saying is that SMR is a lower priority, only on the 51xxx PRLs? Or specifically the iPhone itself?

Crap, so if I have a strong SMR signal, and a very weak (-110dB) PCS signal, my iPhone will still scan, and potentially connect back to that PCS?

I'm more concerned about the user experience, as I always believed that both SMR and PCS was given the same scan priorities. I think once they bring 1x on air here, I'll have to do some extensive testing with my devices, and visit the spots I know have issues.

Refer back to my What is a PRL? article after you read this if you need to.

I love making these kinds of references to my own articles. It is a bit like saying, "Well, if you read my third book, you would know that..."

;)

AJ

• Like 2

It's only a lower priority on the 51xxx PRL which currently only iPhone5 users seem to have it.

Ok that's cool. At least I can get an idea of how the experience will be for me.

Go to Settings, Tap General, then About, and then tap where it says 'Carrier'. It will change to your PRL number. If you haven't got updated to it, ##update# in the phone dialer will pull it to your phone.
mine is 55012. Are these in sequence?

Can Jailbroken users load different PRL's?

Simple answer is yes. You'll need ifile and tetherme to accomplish it - more details are in the Sponsor thread digiblur put together. On the same topic, any chance somebody could link 55xxx for us iPhone users to download and experiment with?

Simple answer is yes. You'll need ifile and tetherme to accomplish it - more details are in the Sponsor thread digiblur put together. On the same topic, any chance somebody could link 55xxx for us iPhone users to download and experiment with?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=39614029&postcount=890

How can I go about seeing if I am on PCS or 800SMR on my Galaxy S3? According to the previously posted changes they enabled 800SMR in Houston as far as the PRL goes and Id like to see if I can find it anywhere.....

TIA

How can I go about seeing if I am on PCS or 800SMR on my Galaxy S3? According to the previously posted changes they enabled 800SMR in Houston as far as the PRL goes and Id like to see if I can find it anywhere.....

TIA

Either look at your SID or 1x channel and/or band class. If you are on the 800SMR SID for houston then there you go.

Does the LG Optimus G scan for 800SMR first?

Does it use the same PRL as the iPhone5?