T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion

CriticalityEvent

I have gotten Tmo LTE signals from a dozen sites in ABQ today, but cannot authenticate ever. I don't know if they're blocking connections or if there is an issue with my Nexus 4.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I have gotten Tmo LTE signals from a dozen sites in ABQ today, but cannot authenticate ever. I don't know if they're blocking connections or if there is an issue with my Nexus 4.

Nexus 4? LTE? I thought the Nexus 4 didnt support LTE on Tmobile. Edit:So it does have the radio for Tmobile LTE, but lacks an amplifier if im not mistaken. Im assuming your running a custom rom, as the newest update disables LTE.

Nexus 4? LTE? I thought the Nexus 4 didnt support LTE on Tmobile. Edit:So it does have the radio for Tmobile LTE, but lacks an amplifier if im not mistaken. Im assuming your running a custom rom, as the newest update disables LTE.

I have rejected all the updates so I could keep my LTE ability on my Nexus 4. It sees it just fine. It will not authenticate and give me access.

• Like 1

Here's a screenshot from earlier today. I was running in LTE only mode.

Posted Image

Robert from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 2

Here's a screenshot from earlier today. I was running in LTE only mode.abe3uny4.jpgRobert from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

gotta give my buddy a heads up on this since he has a nexus on tmobile as well here in NYC.

How would you even use that much even with tethering/torrenting/streaming in 15 days?!?! O.O

My buddy on Verizon uses his phone as a wifi hotpot wherever he goes and let's everyone use it. He was considering sprint because he is stuck paying $140 per month for 1 phone on an old unlimited plan. In addition be lost his upgrade subsidy as he will be forced to a limited plan. His plan now is from b4 the lawsuit (Verizon lost) over Verizon's use of 700mhz spectrum. Based from the contract, Verizon could not ban tethering. Soon thereafter all Verizon plans changed allowing tethering, but with data caps. Based on what happened in court, Verizon hasn't even said anything to him about his use. I hope he stays on Verizon.

Robert, all you need is proper APN settings.

Use "fast.t-mobile.com" also APN type should be dual stack ipv4/ipv6. You should be good to go :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 2

Use "fast.t-mobile.com" also APN type should be dual stack ipv4/ipv6. You should be good to go :)

OK...I have added that APN. I'm not near an LTE site this second, but I'm going to drive over to one. My WCDMA speeds just skyrocketed over the standard APN that was assigned.

• Like 3

OK...I have added that APN. I'm not near an LTE site this second, but I'm going to drive over to one. My WCDMA speeds just skyrocketed over the standard APN that was assigned.

You can also add MMSC settings from the old APN, and if you're having a hard time finding T-Mobile LTE, put your phone in LTE Only mode, and then manually scan for networks. This way it'll list T-Mobile if available. 

If you don't connect right away, keep hammering that T-Mobile network and eventually you'll connect :D

It's not working for me still. Am I doing something wrong? I've just tried three separate sites with no success. See screenshots below:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can also add MMSC settings from the old APN, and if you're having a hard time finding T-Mobile LTE, put your phone in LTE Only mode, and then manually scan for networks. This way it'll list T-Mobile if available.

If you don't connect right away, keep hammering that T-Mobile network and eventually you'll connect :D

I'm staying in LTE mode. When I scan for available network and select T-Mobile, it says I'm already registered. I just keep trying.

Ah, got it. It's too bad that my Nexus doesn't have those screens. Or can I get something that adds them?

Nope. Honestly, I do not get the infatuation with Nexus devices and OS updates. Give me OEM customized Android with engineering screens any day. And who cares about OS updates? That is more about the psychology of the supposed "latest and greatest" than any tangible benefit. If you ask me, save the next OS version for your next device.

AJ

I will have to disagree on this one. I like stock Android...or CyanogenMod...much better than skinned experiences, and OS updates at this point, when executed correctly, have a positive impact on device speed, rather than the other way around. And I don't want to wait two years between OS upgrades.

Which means I probably need to add an engkneering screen tool to the list of apps I should write for the Nexus 4...because I'm sure the data is there skmewhere.

sent via my SIII on Tapatalk 4 beta

• Like 1

It's not working for me still. Am I doing something wrong? I've just tried three separate sites with no success. /snip

.com not .net

• Like 2

That worked! Although it throws me off after 2 mins or so. :(

Posted Image

That worked! Although it throws me off after 2 mins or so. :(

pu4a5umu.jpg

Yup, that's how it was in NYC in early testing stage, few minutes and you're out. Maybe late night longer sessions.

You guys should be 2x10Mhz market so you should have the good stuff :) Enjoy!

• Like 1

Nope.  Honestly, I do not get the infatuation with Nexus devices and OS updates.  Give me OEM customized Android with engineering screens any day.  And who cares about OS updates?  That is more about the psychology of the supposed "latest and greatest" than any tangible benefit.  If you ask me, save the next OS version for your next device.

AJ

That's very foolish, A.J.

The whole point of OS updates is to patch defects in the software to ensure a good experience. The reason why people care is because there are people out there who want to exploit software defects to do bad things to users. Android updates close those holes in the OS. And sometimes, new security features are put in place.

I have rejected all the updates so I could keep my LTE ability on my Nexus 4. It sees it just fine. It will not authenticate and give me access.

You don't have to do that. Just flash the older baseband and keep the OS image up to date. Benefits of both worlds.

The whole point of OS updates is to patch defects in the software to ensure a good experience. The reason why people care is because there are people out there who want to exploit software defects to do bad things to users. Android updates close those holes in the OS. And sometimes, new security features are put in place.

Nah, patches are hardly what drives most obsession with OS updates.  It is more like, "Waaa, waaa, I want Jelly Bean."

AJ

• Like 1

I totally miss engineering screens on my Nexus 4 and HTC One. Bad. I do have iPhone 5 which has a very nice Field Test mode, but I'm craving ServiceMode from galaxy phones.

Will be skipping S4 and wait for the first Cat 4 UE that should hit the market this summer which should play nice with Verizon's 2x20Mhz AWS LTE.

• Like 1

I was able to get one Sensorly Tmo LTE track plotted on my way out of Albuquerque. You can see where it just dropped me on I-25.

One thing I noticed after being dropped...it would not reconnect to the same site, no sector, no matter what. No airplane mode cycling, turning off radio, changing modes or rebooting would allow me to reconnect to the same site. But I had no problems connecting to the next site. At least until the network thew me off.

• Like 1

Ya I'm sure engineers don't want anyone attached while they're running OCNS and tuning that network. At least they're visible and not broadcasting 001001 MNC.

• Like 1

You don't have to do that. Just flash the older baseband and keep the OS image up to date. Benefits of both worlds.

Actually, that doesn't work all the way in many cases. Audio on GsM/WCDMA voice calls doesn't work for me with the latest OS version plus an earlier radio.

I hear that if you use a custom ROM this issie gets resolved...and I may end up doing that...but in my case I just use GrooVeIP anyway, in forced LTE only mode. Though that may change when I get addrd to a friend's plan and get unlimited conventional voice/SMS in addition to the data i have now.

The pipsqueak of the major carriers should not have "spectrum to burn." That is poor management of a public resource.

With consolidation in the industry at current levels, competition for spectrum resources is no longer appropriate. Each carrier needs to be allocated spectrum -- each according to its need.

AJ

Does it make sense for TMUS to upgrade to HSPA+84 and higher?

Or are they hoping their HSPA+ customers all upgrade their phones to LTE so that they can upgrade even PCS, Band 2/25, to LTE?