T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion

CriticalityEvent

I have a unlimited AT&T wireless data plan that does not throttle. Also youtube, netflix and hulu to a 46in HD TV will use the data very fast.

Time warner cable says they don't throttle, but there network is so poor that they may as well be throttling me. They block web sites like youtube/netfilx if you use it too much. many users have been getting nailed by time warner cable lately. If you youtube "throttling" time warner cable is at the top. Even higher than AT&T throttling it's so bad.

They limit it to the point even 140p video is unplayable on youtube.

But at lest I have 0 packet loss now. (Before it was 58-60%. You don't even want to know how bad that was. FIO's guys count your lucky stars, you have it made.

Here's how to get around TWC's douchery regarding youtube... credit to folks over at reddit for bringing it to attention.

http://mitchribar.com/2013/02/how-to-stop-youtube-sucking-windows-guide/

• Like 2

Here's how to get around TWC's douchery regarding youtube... credit to folks over at reddit for bringing it to attention.

http://mitchribar.co...-windows-guide/

Now we just need one for all other ISP's.

What I have found interesting as well is that many ISP's regularly have DNS resolving issues making internet access slow and sometimes unmanageable. I normally alter my DNS settings to point to a public DNS to bypass their sniffing filtering unreliable dogs.

• 3 weeks later...

You don't have to. If you have decent credit, you can pay $100 + $20/month.

So why pay $90 a month? I might as well stay with Sprint and pay $70, or go to Verizon, which has a superior network, and pay $90.

So why pay $90 a month? I might as well stay with Sprint and pay $70, or go to Verizon, which has a superior network, and pay $90.

Though I agree $90 a month is high, 1GB of data VS true unlimited 4G data is kind of a big deal and if you live in a big city T-mobile's network is most likely better. I know I surely would never sign up for Verizon in new York city due to all the network issues they have there. Also not having a contract is nice along with getting some thing like a nexus 4 that is unlocked and not full of network spy ware and junk. If you don't mind a 2 year contract and a locked down phone sprint is a better deal. If you have to get voice out in the sticks no matter what then Verizon. If you want the best GSM based network then AT&T. Every network has it's ups and down's and pricing is not the only thing that matters.

Though I agree $90 a month is high, 1GB of data VS true unlimited 4G data is kind of a big deal and if you live in a big city T-mobile's network is most likely better. I know I surely would never sign up for Verizon in new York city due to all the network issues they have there. Also not having a contract is nice along with getting some thing like a nexus 4 that is unlocked and not full of network spy ware and junk. If you don't mind a 2 year contract and a locked down phone sprint is a better deal. If you have to get voice out in the sticks no matter what then Verizon. If you want the best GSM based network then AT&T. Every network has it's ups and down's and pricing is not the only thing that matters.

Very well said, I had AT&T for 6 years and while the speeds were good the voice quality and reliability were terrible, having been with sprint now I'm getting service in places I never had service with AT&T. Factor in unlimited LTE it's a no brainer considering the $30 a month I am saving.
  • Like 1

It depends on the big city you're in though. And even if you take away pricing as a consideration, unless you're in the habit of buying $400+ phones every year or less, what would be the incentive to avoid a contract. If you're happy with the service and price point, there is a good chance you'd stick it out anyway?

Just throwing it out there, from a personal observation, I see zero incentive to switch to one of those plans on T-Mo, knowing how T-Mobile's network is here in NJ and NY, when I'm not really saving any money. Every carrier basically has the same phone now, so there is nothing truly unique about the GS4 on any carrier.

It depends on the big city you're in though. And even if you take away pricing as a consideration, unless you're in the habit of buying $400+ phones every year or less, what would be the incentive to avoid a contract. If you're happy with the service and price point, there is a good chance you'd stick it out anyway?

Just throwing it out there, from a personal observation, I see zero incentive to switch to one of those plans on T-Mo, knowing how T-Mobile's network is here in NJ and NY, when I'm not really saving any money. Every carrier basically has the same phone now, so there is nothing truly unique about the GS4 on any carrier.

First I will say that I think sprint in most cases is a better deal/better network than T-Mobile. The only point I was trying to make is that there are things you can do with T-mobile that you can't do with sprint, but also I was commenting about Verizon and as a Verizon user I know they aren't the best every ware and that it's always best to check out in person the networks/phones before buying them and to use the 14/30 day returns if it's bad. As for the GS4 on Verizon and AT&T the boot loader is locked and also having a pure unlocked nexus is nice to have and will not cost 400+. The next google phone will likely be coming around and it likely won't cost 400+ or sadly have CDMA so those will be signing up for T-mobile if they don't want to give AT&T there money.

Edited by 4ktvs

I assume he wouldn't like this: post-7972-0-41350300-1364408259_thumb.png

How would you even use that much even with tethering/torrenting/streaming in 15 days?!?! O.O

IMO, 10 GB per month for same price of what we pay for unlimited is a good way to go. Abusers have a limit, its high enough so that it's still "unlimited" to most subs, and also high enough in case someone wants to go on a trip and doesn't have access to the Internet so that they don't need to worry about their cap.

• Like 2

Well I'm curious to hear how well their network performs, but it's a similar use case to Sprint's where there are a significant less number of subscribers using the network, so of course the throughput will be better.

"May" and "is" are two very different words. The competitive environment dictates what can and can't be done. Please don't spread hearsay such as this.

If a CEO strongly implies that he MAY raise prices, you can be sure he will; only if its the converse could you accuse me of hearsay.

If a CEO strongly implies that he MAY raise prices, you can be sure he will; only if its the converse could you accuse me of hearsay.

I agree to your point it's not hearsay. However, Dan Hesse has been saying this to investors for several years now. He has to. Investors would slay him if he says that even if they should raise prices, he won't. It's all a game.

There is no immediate pressure on cash that they need to raise prices before Softbank takes over. So status quo will reign during Softbank purchase and transition. And there is nothing to make us think in the short term that Softbank would raise prices. They are very competitive and like to take it to their competitors on every front, even price. Softbank may come out with several different pricing products, including ones that could be less expensive.

I have no concerns about price raising at Sprint unless Softbank buy out fails. Then all bets are off.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 2

That, and the article is from 9/2012, and we are at 5/2013, with the same rates.

Yep, and I remember we addressed that point then too. There were several people concerned the sky was falling. ;)

• Like 1

I agree to your point it's not hearsay. However, Dan Hesse has been saying this to investors for several years now. He has to. Investors would slay him if he says that even if they should raise prices, he won't. It's all a game.

There is no immediate pressure on cash that they need to raise prices before Softbank takes over. So status quo will reign during Softbank purchase and transition. And there is nothing to make us think in the short term that Softbank would raise prices. They are very competitive and like to take it to their competitors on every front, even price. Softbank may come out with several different pricing products, including ones that could be lies expensive.

I have no concerns about price raising at Sprint unless Softbank buy out fails. Then all bets are off.

I agree in the short term he won't; the quoted article states than only when Sprint LTE is bigger he'll MAYbe do it.

If he can take advantage of the price points that ATT and V have conditioned the public to accept, of course he'll do it.

I'm on V and gonna switch to TMUS or AIO wireless but I hope Sprint gets stronger to push prices lower like how TMUS forced ATT to launch AIO wireless.

• Like 1

Yep, and I remember we addressed that point then too. There were several people concerned the sky was falling. ;)

On the other hand there have been price increases for all people who get an employer discount on family plans at Sprint as they now apply the employer discount only to the first line. This did raise my monthly rate about 6%.

• Like 3

How would you even use that much even with tethering/torrenting/streaming in 15 days?!?! O.O

I have used 150Gb on AT&T in 15 days before with hulu, netfilx and game downloads due to an ISP issue. I could see 300GB of use with LTE and more downloads/ more than one PC using the connection. Also on Verizon they do have unlimited tethering add-on if you want it. I know a few who say they have used a 1TB in the UK with a unlimited data plan. ( The high users get throttled in the day to 4mbs or what ever then get full speeds at night. )

• Like 1

On the other hand there have been price increases for all people who get an employer discount on family plans at Sprint as they now apply the employer discount only to the first line. This did raise my monthly rate about 6%.

Yeah, that happened in stages too. For a while it was on all lines, then it switched to only the first two lines on a family plan because they were kind of bundled together. Then they finally switched it to show the second line separately and removed the discount for that one as well. At least I still get a discount on the first line and my mobile broadband card since it's not included in the family plan. But the changes to the family plan discount raised my bill $15/month and then with the addition of the $10/month data fee for "smartphones" I'm paying about $55/month more in the last year or two.

Yeah, that happened in stages too. For a while it was on all lines, then it switched to only the first two lines on a family plan because they were kind of bundled together. Then they finally switched it to show the second line separately and removed the discount for that one as well. At least I still get a discount on the first line and my mobile broadband card since it's not included in the family plan. But the changes to the family plan discount raised my bill $15/month and then with the addition of the $10/month data fee for "smartphones" I'm paying about $55/month more in the last year or two.

Same here I am paying 23 dollars more a month over last year with Sprint. Living here in Chicago I have tried some coworkers T Mobile and I can say it is pretty good, was getting 10 download and 3 upload. Will it make me switch? Don't think so since inside my house I don't even get a signal with T Mobile, but more competition can only be good for us the consumer.

• Like 2

Same here I am paying 23 dollars more a month over last year with Sprint. Living here in Chicago I have tried some coworkers T Mobile and I can say it is pretty good, was getting 10 download and 3 upload. Will it make me switch? Don't think so since inside my house I don't even get a signal with T Mobile, but more competition can only be good for us the consumer.

I told y'all that T-Mobile can't penetrate a paper bag.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 3

Tmobile penetrates better than sprint in my area by a long shot. Been in plenty places where sprint coverage inside fails but never tmobile

It's all about tower density in local areas.