T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion

CriticalityEvent

MetroPCS metrocell and DAS systems are being repurposed as much as possible for T-Mobile. If they are CDMA/LTE small cells, they are going to be replaced with HSPA+/LTE small cells. If they are DAS, then T-Mobile will just reconfigure them for HSPA+/LTE (since DAS is generally airlink agnostic).

They can't be used for Sprint because they are designed for AWS-1. Band 41 is 2496-2690 MHz, while AWS-1 is 1710-1755 / 2110-2155 MHz.

Thanks for the explanation.  I figured some equipment would have to be swapped because of the frequency differences, but the NextG fiber and infrastructure is at least airlink agnostic.

Yes, no overage charges. Just slowed after using 3GB. With "banking it" now, you can have the extra high speed when you need it few times in the year. Like I said, it's options for people who would benefit. If you don't need it, that's fine. But I think most would rather have one than not.

You and I see it differently. I see it half full, you see it half empty. no right or wrong answer. Just different.

Of course, and as a wireless industry enthusiast, I can appreciate that option. But having lived through, and selling against Cingular Roll-Over, it's slightly different for me :)

Great conversation, that's what this site is all about.

• Like 3

Great conversation, that's what this site is all about.

That is 100% correct.  This is the only wireless industry related site I know of that I can come to and have constructive discussions about Sprint without all of the mindless bashing that goes on just about everyplace else. 

Is Sprint perfect?  Not close and I don't think anybody here thinks that.  But it is nice to have for the most part good discussion without all the noise that serves no constructive purpose. 

I think the biggest frustration many of us have right now regarding T-Mobile is the the do no wrong image the tech press is giving them right now while still cutting down Sprint every chance they get.  The smart thing T-Mobile has done is build up several major markets like NYC and SF where many of the tech writers are based to get them on board.  I think that is why you are seeing the deployment strategy shift at Sprint, they know they have to get these big markets up and running right to get get some good word of mouth going.

Also remember that many of us are based in the middle of the country where T-Mobile is just about worthless.  I live in a metro of over 800,000 and besides some protection sites on the interstate there is ZERO T-Mobile presence here while Sprint has had dramatic improvement the past 12 months.  So forgive me when I don't think much of T-Mobile, they pretty much ignore my market. (And I am sure many feel that way about Sprint for the same reason.)

• Like 9

I honestly wish t mobile did move into my area. They are roaming here... Would give us up here more options. Our options here are att, Verizon, cellcom, and us cellular all with really high prices and t mobile would be another nice cheaper option.

Funny. I was just looking at some youtube videos on speed tests and one of them was a TMo vs sprint speed test, with sprint on b41. 

The Tmobile test did like 8 down while the sprint test did 20+ down on 2 "Bars" of LTE. One of the comments was, how do you not get speed tests faster than Sprint. I usually get 40+. It's amazing how Tmobiles marketing has brainwashed people into thinking they will get those speeds in every market, every single place, all the time.

• Like 2

Funny. I was just looking at some youtube videos on speed tests and one of them was a TMo vs sprint speed test, with sprint on b41.

The Tmobile test did like 8 down while the sprint test did 20+ down on 2 "Bars" of LTE. One of the comments was, how do you not get speed tests faster than Sprint. I usually get 40+. It's amazing how Tmobiles marketing has brainwashed people into thinking they will get those speeds in every market, every single place, all the time.

That's the point of marketing.
  • Like 4

At the end of the day, no network will get those optimal speeds everywhere, and that's the message that we really need to be sharing to everyone. 

Let's focus on consistent speeds, not maximum peak in some areas under the tower with the sun out. 

• Like 1

But the speed test app is whitelisted though correct? It takes priority on whatever tower when the app is being used? It shows 40+ but is that the users actual speeds? I'm on b41 and my speeds are between 20 and 30 but it seems more realistic with the speeds depending on the time of day. T-Mobile is a marking genius they grabbed people's attention but they also have embedded into people's minds that you need 30+ in data speeds to have a workable phone.

I like T-Mobile as a whole due to them changing the rules but I would rather see my actual speed than some prioritized number. On my mothers T-Mobile iPhone 5s she has 1gb of data but she rarely uses the data on phone so I used up her 1gb (don't judge me) and I got the text about reduced speeds. So I then ran a speed test and I still got results well into 50+ and not the reduced speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by derrph
  • Like 1

At the end of the day, no network will get those optimal speeds everywhere, and that's the message that we really need to be sharing to everyone. 

Let's focus on consistent speeds, not maximum peak in some areas under the tower with the sun out. 

Yup. For most of the things folks do on a mobile phone, a consistent 5mb or so with low ping will be just fine.  Sprint provides this level of service all over town here now and I rarely have issues anymore streaming radio, loading web pages, ect.

Yup. For most of the things folks do on a mobile phone, a consistent 5mb or so with low ping will be just fine.  Sprint provides this level of service all over town here now and I rarely have issues anymore streaming radio, loading web pages, ect.

I hope that when Sprint launches multiple 20 mhz carriers and CA, that data hogs don't come back to Sprint. I mean, with 3 CA or even with 2 CA, the network can probably handle it....but still. 

I hope that when Sprint launches multiple 20 mhz carriers and CA, that data hogs don't come back to Sprint. I mean, with 3 CA or even with 2 CA, the network can probably handle it....but still. 

Sprint will likely discontinue the unlimited data plans just before those come into place to prevent the data hogs from coming back.  Those of us that stayed with Sprint should be grandfathered in. B)

https://plus.google.com/107227855733537515429/posts/ED8mZrnnVRn

I posted this in the premier thread but it is just too relevant to this post.

• Like 1

Sprint will likely discontinue the unlimited data plans just before those come into place to prevent the data hogs from coming back.  Those of us that stayed with Sprint should be grandfathered in. B)

I do t think Sprint will ever drop unlimited. They'll just make it a premium service by charging more for it than tiered data.

• Like 1

I do t think Sprint will ever drop unlimited. They'll just make it a premium service by charging more for it than tiered data.

Does sprint ever need to drop unlimited with the amount of 2.5 ghz it has??? A cool way I could see them altering this would be to remove unlimited from b25 and b26. If you're on 2.5 ghz, use all the data you want because there is plenty of spectrum

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Crapatalk

But the speed test app is whitelisted though correct? It takes priority on whatever tower when the app is being used? It shows 40+ but is that the users actual speeds? I'm on b41 and my speeds are between 20 and 30 but it seems more realistic with the speeds depending on the time of day. T-Mobile is a marking genius they grabbed people's attention but they also have embedded into people's minds that you need 30+ in data speeds to have a workable phone.

I like T-Mobile as a whole due to them changing the rules but I would rather see my actual speed than some prioritized number. On my mothers T-Mobile iPhone 5s she has 1gb of data but she rarely uses the data on phone so I used up her 1gb (don't judge me) and I got the text about reduced speeds. So I then ran a speed test and I still got results well into 50+ and not the reduced speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's recent FTC settlement for this issue. TMO will provide a link to do speed test to show true speed if full speed data is use up.

With the amount of spectrum they have, I can actually see this happening. I wonder which carrier will win the race to 5G?

A cool way I could see them altering this would be to remove unlimited from b25 and b26. If you're on 2.5 ghz, use all the data you want because there is plenty of spectrum

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Crapatalk

I imagine that that would be a nightmare to implement :/

-Anthony

• Like 1

We shall see.  "Unlimited" data may never go away, but it should carry a premium price, even an ever increasing premium price -- because "unlimited" data is going to see ever increasing usage.  And grandfathered "unlimited" data plans, which are becoming way too cheap by now, should be phased out at the time of device upgrades or contract expirations.

Those who need "unlimited" data will have to afford it.  Others will learn to live within their means -- so that they do not detrimentally affect everyone else on a shared resource.

AJ

• Like 3

@ WI wavelength I hope they keep it but charge more for it

if you want this, its easy and available now, just go to att or vz ;)

• Like 1

I know that the speedtest app creates a stupid pissing contest amongst wireless customers, but I honestly feel that even at the point of multiple band 41 carriers/CA, no user should be allowed max bandwidth. Why not just cap it at a reasonable speed. Let everyone have a fair share of the available bandwidth, instead of one guy pulling 100mbps+ so that he can illegally feed his home ISP needs.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

• Like 3

I know that the speedtest app creates a stupid pissing contest amongst wireless customers, but I honestly feel that even at the point of multiple band 41 carriers/CA, no user should be allowed max bandwidth. Why not just cap it at a reasonable speed. Let everyone have a fair share of the available bandwidth, instead of one guy pulling 100mbps+ so that he can illegally feed his home ISP needs.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

I actually agree with that because t mobile is actually throttling users who actually do illegal downloading ... I like that..