Everybody loves Sprint

no worries, i just assumed .5Mbps because that was what I got the last time I did a speed test on my commute.

ive also had speeds like .16Mbps, .21Mbps, and even .02Mbps.

it's quite frustrating because i'm not trying to stream netflix or youtube. i just want to listen to music and not have to wait for it to load the next song.

hopefully, things will pick up in the next month or so.

no worries, i just assumed .5Mbps because that was what I got the last time I did a speed test on my commute.

ive also had speeds like .16Mbps, .21Mbps, and even .02Mbps.

it's quite frustrating because i'm not trying to stream netflix or youtube. i just want to listen to music and not have to wait for it to load the next song.

hopefully, things will pick up in the next month or so.

Yes. Those speeds will cause a lot more stuttering. The worst thing about that sort of speeds is it's often just an overloaded tower and your pings skyrocket. If you're waiting nearly a second for a server response you can just imagine what that does to data transfer, god forbid you drop packets.

My experiences with tower upgrades are mixed. It seems like every time one gets fixed up, everyone realizes at once and forgets they have WiFi and not long after the speeds drop again. I live in a college town so it's great when the students leave but right now when it's in full swing, anywhere near campus is abysmal. This is rather different from Bloomington IN, home of Indiana University where my speeds on campus rarely go under 1.8Mbps or so on 3G and 5 or more on WiMax. I have never tested LTE there.

I think Sprint's on the up and up but I just complain about the contracts. Two years is fine for a flip phone but smartphones become worthless much sooner. Softbank can't get here soon enough. I was on Dish Network's team with the Viacom/Comcast thing but if they keep blocking this deal and strengthen American telecom's duopoly of net neutrality hating beasts I will not support them.

Edited by Contreramanjaro

My only complaint about Sprint is that they are dramatically overstating their LTE coverage on the maps, here in Austin. None of downtown has any LTE yet the maps show Austin blanketed in orange. This is misleading and deceptive. Fortunately I know better because I'm an S4GRU sponsor, but if I was any other consumer expecting to get Sprint LTE in Austin I'd be pissed. Sprint even has a big yellow billboard on I-35 stating that they are Austin's only unlimited LTE provider, yet in a huge chunk of the city, there is no LTE. I know they are trying to lure customers back from the other providers but they should at least have robust LTE in downtown before they show Austin blanketed on their coverage maps.

• Like 1

Yes. Those speeds will cause a lot more stuttering. The worst thing about that sort of speeds is it's often just an overloaded tower and your pings skyrocket. If you're waiting nearly a second for a server response you can just imagine what that does to data transfer, god forbid you drop packets.

My experiences with tower upgrades are mixed. It seems like every time one gets fixed up, everyone realizes at once and forgets they have WiFi and not long after the speeds drop again. I live in a college town so it's great when the students leave but right now when it's in full swing, anywhere near campus is abysmal. This is rather different from Bloomington IN, home of Indiana University where my speeds on campus rarely go under 1.8Mbps or so on 3G and 5 or more on WiMax. I have never tested LTE there.

I think Sprint's on the up and up but I just complain about the contracts. Two years is fine for a flip phone but smartphones become worthless much sooner. Softbank can't get here soon enough. I was on Dish Network's team with the Viacom/Comcast thing but if they keep blocking this deal and strengthen American telecom's duopoly of net neutrality hating beasts I will not support them.

Agreed...when smart phones are being updated yearly and strides in development are being made at such a rapid pace, I don't think 2 year contracts are going to last much longer. Case in point, look at the HTC One and Galaxy S4 compared to the EVO LTE and S3...the upgrades to those phones aren't just minor anymore and they're being released so quickly.

I actually think T-mobile might surpass everyone. Ive seen friends get LTE like speeds on Tmobile so assuming they can roll out LTE effectively, rather than drop to 3G you would bounce between HSPA and LTE.

I actually think T-mobile might surpass everyone. Ive seen friends get LTE like speeds on Tmobile so assuming they can roll out LTE effectively, rather than drop to HSPA 3g you would bounce between EDGE/GPRS and LTE once you leave the metro area of a major city.

ftfy.

I haven't been to Austin to check out the LTE coverage, but how do reconcile this...

My only complaint about Sprint is that they are dramatically overstating their LTE coverage on the maps, here in Austin. None of downtown has any LTE yet the maps show Austin blanketed in orange. This is misleading and deceptive. Fortunately I know better because I'm an S4GRU sponsor, but if I was any other consumer expecting to get Sprint LTE in Austin I'd be pissed. Sprint even has a big yellow billboard on I-35 stating that they are Austin's only unlimited LTE provider, yet in a huge chunk of the city, there is no LTE. I know they are trying to lure customers back from the other providers but they should at least have robust LTE in downtown before they show Austin blanketed on their coverage maps.

With this...Austin_sensorly.PNG

I haven't been to Austin to check out the LTE coverage, but how do reconcile this...

With this...Austin_sensorly.PNG

I meant usable LTE. All that light purple is bare minimum signal. And don't even try to find LTE near UT campus.

Oh I do understand that there is a difference between purple showing up on sensorly and that signal being usable. To some extent, at least here in Baton Rouge, this is an issue with the differences between phones. My EVO LTE is picks up a fraction of the LTE from our 2 active towers compared to Digiblur's Note2. However, it is pretty strong and not quite accurate language to say that "None of downtown has any LTE" when there clearly is LTE downtown just not usable by you. Not trying to pick a fight just clarifying language. If Sprint is claiming blanketed coverage of Austin then I agree that they are not doing themselves any favors in the PR department.

Oh I do understand that there is a difference between purple showing up on sensorly and that signal being usable. To some extent, at least here in Baton Rouge, this is an issue with the differences between phones. My EVO LTE is picks up a fraction of the LTE from our 2 active towers compared to Digiblur's Note2. However, it is pretty strong and not quite accurate language to say that "None of downtown has any LTE" when there clearly is LTE downtown just not usable by you. Not trying to pick a fight just clarifying language. If Sprint is claiming blanketed coverage of Austin then I agree that they are not doing themselves any favors in the PR department.

Somehow someway you can pick up an LTE signal just about everywhere they show orange on their maps. Even if you have to stand on one foot, hold the phone with only two fingers, and jump around in a circle to pick up the signal, they'll show it.

The maps show "optimal conditions" which doesn't take into account things like trees or even buildings in some cases. Unfortunately, no carrier is going to be able to show their coverage accurately on a map like that.

I dropped AT&T after 8 years. Sprint has made massive improvements since I had them as a company phone just a few years ago.

I haven't dropped a single call I wasn't expecting to drop, and data compared to AT&T is fantastic.

For the record, I think we'll see Sprint LTE before AT&T rolls out 3g here.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Edited by nophix
  • Like 2

I really hate when people rant on Sprint's Facebook page not knowing the networks full potential. LTE launched (or came to) my neighborhood and parts of my area last week. 3G has improved at work recently too. Those people on Facebook need to hold on and wait for the network to take shape.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I really hate when people rant on Sprint's Facebook page not knowing the networks full potential. LTE launched (or came to) my neighborhood and parts of my area last week. 3G has improved at work recently too. Those people on Facebook need to hold on and wait for the network to take shape.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

There is no hope for the many idiots on Facebook who complain and complain.

There is no hope for the many idiots on Facebook who complain and complain.

I am going to contact Mark Zuckerberg and propose several ideas for a Facebook name change. So far, I have Fussbook, Bitchbook, or since Mark is Jewish, he might prefer Kvetchbook.

AJ

• Like 2

I am going to contact Mark Zuckerberg and propose several ideas for a Facebook name change. So far, I have Fussbook, Bitchbook, or since Mark is Jewish, he might prefer Kvetchbook.

AJ

Bitchbook? I love it! :rofl:

• Like 1

Seems a lot of people were loving sprint today, new 52 week high of $6.09, but I didn't see anything in news in particular to set it off, although I suppose pressure has been building for awhile.

Hopefully the breakout continues and we start seeing a good progression towards $7

https://www.google.com/finance?cid=656412

I dropped AT&T after 8 years. Sprint has made massive improvements since I had them as a company phone just a few years ago.

I haven't dropped a single call I wasn't expecting to drop, and data compared to AT&T is fantastic.

For the record, I think we'll see Sprint LTE before AT&T rolls out 3g here.

Where are you that Sprint has LTE and AT&T doesn't even have HSPA+? I narrowed down a bunch of the country in my head.

Where are you that Sprint has LTE and AT&T doesn't even have HSPA+? I narrowed down a bunch of the country in my head.

Stevens Point, WI.

Most of northern WI is Edge only as well, and from what I was told, work has begun on LTE for Wausau market which includes Stevens Point and the northern markets.

Wausau area has HSPA+, but it stops south of Knowlton and north of Merrill.

Stevens Point, WI.

Most of northern WI is Edge only as well, and from what I was told, work has begun on LTE for Wausau market which includes Stevens Point and the northern markets.

My guess would have been LaCrosse. :)

My guess would have been LaCrosse. :)

Yeah, even Tomah has LTE popping up. Lacrosse will be lucky if they see At&t hspa by years end, let alone LTE. My At&t service was nearly unusable last time I was there. Which is how its been here for over a year.

Made the move to Sprint in January, couldn't be happier.

Stevens Point' date=' WI.

[/quote']

I'm in Wausau I drive by the sure right in town and seen the backhaul is sitting there waiting, but with the weather I bet is stopping them. Where have you heard work was starting here?

Spring was when I heard the back haul work was supposed to start on a few. I thought they pulled some of it before frost, but I could be wrong.

This crazy winter put the brakes on a lot of work for them, Cell com, AT, and several others.