Nokia Siemens Networks hits 1.4 Gbps using LTE-Advanced, shows us the future

Duffman

From IntoMobile.com

Nokia Siemens Networks, who isn’t exactly a market leader in terms of the amount of revenues involved in the mobile infrastructure game, is widely respected as being a leader when it comes to research and development. They just

demonstrated a 1.4 gigabit per second connection using LTE-Advanced and 100 MHz worth of spectrum. As impressive as that figure sounds, we need to put it into some perspective. Eight months ago, to the day, we filed a report about Ericsson’s LTE-Advanced demo. They used 60 MHz worth of spectrum and were able to hit over 950 Mbps in a moving van. So that’s 60% of the spectrum NSN used, yet 68% as fast as NSN’s test, which by the way was done in a laboratory under perfect conditions. Can you see why Ericsson gets all the contracts? Just last week they announced their own “industry first”, they were able to triple the upload speed of HSPA using just software.

Anyway, the bigger question is when are we going to see LTE-Advanced networks in the wild? If you believe Dish Network,

then it’s going to happen next year in the United States. Though to be perfectly honest, we don’t think LTE-Advanced will really take off until 2014 or so. Even then, operators don’t have 100 MHz worth of spectrum to throw at a network. Verizon’s 4G LTE network, arguably the biggest and baddest 4G LTE network in the world, uses two 10 MHz channels in several markets. They’d like to use more spectrum, and they’re currently trying to buy some more, but they’re rightfully getting some push back from T-Mobile who wants the market to remain competitive.

So long story short: NSN wrote a fantastic press release that’s going to get a lot of coverage, yet at the same time the technology is several years away. Assuming LTE-Advanced went live right now, what the hell are you going to do with a 1.4 gigabit per second in your smartphone anyway?

• Like 1

If Sprint were to acquire Clearwire, this would be a good marketing pitch against other LTE carriers.

"What can you do with 4G?

What can you do it 1.4Gbps?

With unlimited data and internet over 93 times faster than FiOS basic,

You can download all the torrents(legal) and poonz your heart desires.

Only on The Now Network."

• Like 1

in all seriousness these tests and stuff are cool and all BUT lets look at reality of things. where the hell are we going to find that amount of spectrum to be able to deploy everywhere?? Less im missing something....so with that said whats the point of the test to begin with? ha

how about working on tech to figure a way to get those higher freq to cover more area or devices to handle picking up their signal stronger without killing the battery? Then sell it to Clear or offer Clearwire a buyout proposal and deploy your invention/tech on their network. haha

Improvement on antenna tech and broadcasting tech in general would lead to improved area coverage of a 2.5GHz signal. But in terms of area and propagation, under 1GHz will always be king. I see that the overall goal of these projects to to push max speeds with LTE-Advanced. Overtime, with better spectrum efficiency, speeds like this would be available with less spectrum.

I believe that once you go over 20Mbps over mobile broadband, speeds become more of a showmanship game than it is to practicality use these speeds on your tablet or phone. The fact is that most websites wouldn't be able to utilize speeds higher than that. This, including the fact that many carriers have data caps(like Sprint does with it's mobile hotspot and tethering devices), speeds like this would never be use to it's full potential.

I'm so naive. I had to read this thread three times before the light bulb went off...

:idea:

and figured out what 'poon' means from context. You guys are nuts... :mad2:

I'm so naive. I had to read this thread three times before the light bulb went off...

and figured out what 'poon' means from context. You guys are nuts...

You might be old when......lol. :lol:

Sent from my EVO 4G via Tapatalk

:rofl:

I'm not that old. I'm only in my late thirties. But I do live a very sheltered and quiet life. Maybe I'm plain, like the Amish? Just with all the newest electronic toys...

Posted via Forum Runner

:rofl:

I'm not that old. I'm only in my late thirties. But I do live a very sheltered and quiet life. Maybe I'm plain, like the Amish? Just with all the newest electronic toys...

Posted via Forum Runner

Fair enough. My apologies.

Download my free Android app, Tito's Rants.

Fair enough. My apologies.

Download my free Android app' date=' Tito's Rants.[/quote']

No need to apologize. I'm not anywhere even close to being offended. :)

Posted via Forum Runner

• 2 months later...

in all seriousness these tests and stuff are cool and all BUT lets look at reality of things. where the hell are we going to find that amount of spectrum to be able to deploy everywhere?? Less im missing something....so with that said whats the point of the test to begin with? ha

how about working on tech to figure a way to get those higher freq to cover more area or devices to handle picking up their signal stronger without killing the battery? Then sell it to Clear or offer Clearwire a buyout proposal and deploy your invention/tech on their network. haha

Nokia Siemens has developed radio technology. That would reduce the cost of building a TD-LTE network by a 1/3rd. It improves coverage by 40% and capacity by 80%.

http://www.nokiasiemensnetworks.com/news-events/press-room/press-releases/nokia-siemens-networks-launches-industry-s-first-td-lte-6-pipes-remote-radio-head

Offers 80% more capacity, 40% more coverage to deliver cost-efficient TD-LTE

Helps operators reduce site costs by up to one-third

• Like 1

Nokia Siemens has developed radio technology. That would reduce the cost of building a TD-LTE network by a 1/3rd. It improves coverage by 40% and capacity by 80%.

http://www.nokiasiemensnetworks.com/news-events/press-room/press-releases/nokia-siemens-networks-launches-industry-s-first-td-lte-6-pipes-remote-radio-head

Its beamforming! I'm glad to see a commercial beamforming system now. It would be great to see Clearwire implement beamforming in their TD-LTE network. But it's my understanding that Clearwire is sharing the same radios and panels between WiMax and LTE. Except in their oldest WiMax markets, that supposedly is not possible. Like Portland, Cincinnati and Baltimore.

Beamforming also gives a significant gain in obstacle penetration too.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner