Samsung Galaxy S4 preview thread (was "The Galaxy S4 gets announced today, Are you excited?")

Rukin1

Okay I preordered it. But do we actually get it the 27th? Also why do new people get another 100 off and the activation wee waived? Talk about non retention

New subscribers are new money, existing subscribers are planned on money. Do anything to get the new subs in.

Unless a customs issue occurs like the HTC EVO LTE, preorders get their devices either launch day or sometimes a day or so in advance.

Okay I preordered it. But do we actually get it the 27th? Also why do new people get another 100 off and the activation wee waived? Talk about non retention

You can call customer care after and get your activation fee waived.

The activation fee can be cancelled then? I purchased the phone outright, as I did not want to extend my contract anymore. Do I just call when I am calling to activate the phone and ask for it to be waived or how do I go about doing that?

20130418_132046_zpsade5406d.jpg

Looks like 26th according to my paperwork here

Sent from my SSGS3 using Forum Runner

Lol'd, sprint announced theres at the last minute. But that's really good news they are releasing it as early as shown. Sprint has started jumping on things and getting them done. Thank goodness :D

I am going to do that! I think its obscure to charge us that. I guess sprint is hurting for customers to give new customers and extra 136 dollars off.

That activation fee is bs anyway....I will be calling to try to get it waived

If you have the Credit Union discount, all activation and upgrade fees are waived. A lot easier to switch your discount than to call and be yet another angry customer on the phone...

For those talking about the "$50 more" issue...

Sprint gives you $350 off the MSRP for signing a two-year agreement. The full price is $599.99. Therefore, it's $249.99 on-contract.

Do note that on T-Mobile, it's $149.99 and $20/month for 24 months, so $629.99 is the total price. Very similar to Sprint's.

I have no idea why AT&T provides a larger subsidy. They sell it from $199.99 from $639.99, so $440 off.

I can't find any concrete evidence of VZW's pricing.

• Like 1

Are there any RF differences between the HTC One and the S4?

For example, according the the S4gru.com article, "if the HTC One is world roaming capable, it will most likely be limited to GSM 900/1800 and band 1 W-CDMA 2100+1900" Any information about the S4 like this?

Are there any RF differences between the HTC One and the S4?

For example, according the the S4gru.com article, "if the HTC One is world roaming capable, it will most likely be limited to GSM 900/1800 and band 1 W-CDMA 2100+1900" Any information about the S4 like this?

According to Samsung's official specs: http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SPH-L720ZWASPR-specs , the S4 is quad band GSM and quad band UMTS/WCDMA capable, though I wouldn't be surprised if the latter is a typo and it's really just triband UMTS capable (850/1900/2100). In any case the device should be useable just about anywhere internationally though I would expect Sprint to have programmed the phone not to recognize any US (and possibly Canadian) SIMs as they usually do.

Edited by GoWireless

Is there a removable sim for us?

Also, 249...thats a major fail. $50 more than every other carrier for no reason? What a slap in the face. It wont personally affect me because by the time I upgrade in september and get it off amazon it will be significantly cheaper....but it makes no sense. It will look especially bad at retailers like best buy and target where the phones are side by side with other carriers.

Is there a removable sim for a us?

From as best as I can tell, yes, it will have a removable SIM.

Two things however: 1. As per usual Sprint MO, it probably won't accept SIMs of other US carriers besides Sprint and 2. If the HTC One is any indication then it will come SIM locked (though how much hassle, if any, will Sprint give you for providing an unlock code is unknown at this time. Most likely they will withhold providing an unlock code to brand new subscribers for a certain amount of time).

Edited by GoWireless

From as best as I can tell, yes, it will have a removable SIM.

Two things however: 1. As per usual Sprint MO, it probably won't accept SIMs of other US carriers besides Sprint and 2. If the HTC One is any indication then it will come SIM locked (though how much hassle, if any, will Sprint give you for providing an unlock code is unknown at this time. Most likely they will withhold providing an unlock code to brand new subscribers for a certain amount of time).

That policy isnt terrible. I used AT&T for 8 years because I traveled a lot and wanted one phone I could use in europe and south america. Im glad sprint is finally waking up the idea that the world isnt just america.

That policy isnt terrible. I used AT&T for 8 years because I traveled a lot and wanted one phone I could use in europe and south america. Im glad sprint is finally waking up the idea that the world isnt just america.

Well, in Sprint's defense, it has occasionally in the past sold dual mode GSM/CDMA devices but naturally, there wasn't a large selection for Sprint as a carrier to choose from due to technical challenges in the past regarding dual mode equipment. So even if they wanted to be forward looking in this respect, they were still somewhat limited in what they could offer.

That said, it should be noted that with the exception of the iPhone, Sprint has always left the GSM side of the phone unlocked from the get-go for use outside North America on devices which supported removable SIMs. This is unlike AT&T for example who have historically been rather difficult to work with respect to unlocking devices.

However, it looks like from now on things may be changing some and you may need to contact Sprint in order to obtain an unlock code even for devices other than iPhones.

Well, in Sprint's defense, it has occasionally in the past sold dual mode GSM/CDMA devices but naturally, there wasn't a large selection for Sprint as a carrier to choose from due to technical challenges in the past regarding dual mode equipment. So even if they wanted to be forward looking in this respect, they were still somewhat limited in what they could offer.

That said, it should be noted that with the exception of the iPhone, Sprint has always left the GSM side of the phone unlocked from the get-go for use outside North America on devices which supported removable SIMs. This is unlike AT&T for example who have historically been rather difficult to work with respect to unlocking devices.

However, it looks like from now on things may be changing some and you may need to contact Sprint in order to obtain an unlock code even for devices other than iPhones.

Yes for the Photon one of my family members Sprint wouldnt unlock it until a certain time.

I do think it was a bad decission to not do what Verizon did with LTE and add sim cards from the get-go, especially with the GS3.

Yes for the Photon one of my family members Sprint wouldnt unlock it until a certain time.

I do think it was a bad decission to not do what Verizon did with LTE and add sim cards from the get-go, especially with the GS3.

I hope sprint stays away from Sim cards lol

I hope sprint stays away from Sim cards lol

Why? LTE uses SIM cards to authenticate the user on the network. The first Generation Sprint LTE devices just had built-in SIM cards. The new flagships have removable. It's really not that bad, unless of course you lose it.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Why? LTE uses SIM cards to authenticate the user on the network. The first Generation Sprint LTE devices just had built-in SIM cards. The new flagships have removable. It's really not that bad, unless of course you lose it.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, sprint hasn't ever had that right?

Sprint did have some GSM-capable, SIM removable devices prior to the LTE era. For example the HTC TP2 and the original Moto Photon.

O ya I swore a long time ago Sprint had that. But dang

O ya I swore a long time ago Sprint had that. But dang

What about the Note2? I think it was GSM capable, not sure if its got removeable sim or not?