Samsung Galaxy S4 preview thread (was "The Galaxy S4 gets announced today, Are you excited?")

Rukin1

Yea sorry it was early at work lol. I don't understand if the next galaxy s4 only does 1900 lte. Nobody wants it. Are they shutting off 1900mhz? Or is it because 800mhz will theoretically go farther and doesn't support the 2600mhz.

1900Mhz is the PCS band and it is not going anywhere, PCS is Sprint's bread and butter. The initial LTE rollout is occurring in a in the PCS G Block, a 5x5 Mhz block of Spectrum that was allocated as part of a rebranding plan. I think it had to do with the Nextel Spectrum in the 800Mhz block and shuffling that, but I'm not sure. Sprint will also be able to utilize its existing PCS spectrum in the A-F blocks for LTE when needed. All the existing equipment on the towers supports this and it will take an LTE carrier card install. PCS Spectrum is what your current 3g connection is based on and can travel quite far. I get LTE on PCS from a tower about 4 miles away, but it is inconsistent. In flat areas with "boomer" towers, PCS signals have been seen to travel 10 miles.

The SMR (800Mhz) is being reused from the pending Nextel shutdown. Sprint will have a 5x5 LTE carrier and a CDMA 1xA voice carrier in SMR range. SMR spectrum travels further and penetrates buildings much better than PCS. However, Sprint only has about 14Mhz of SMR and it is not nationwide. In the Southeast, Sprint has much less SMR as SouthernLink was the iDen provider in that area. They are keeping their iDen and have announced a roaming agreement with one of the GSM carriers. I think Sprint has enough SMR in that area to still do the CDMA 1xA voice and a small 3x3 LTE carrier.

The BRS spectrum in the 2600Mhz range is coming from the Clearwire purchase. BRS travels the least distance and penetrates buildings the worst, but Sprint has access to 60Mhz and can create some very large carriers that will have huge capacity. Sprint will initially deploy these as "hotspots" similar to a wifi hotspot in areas where the existing LTE needs some help. Clear is already deploying LTE on its own towers and Sprint can request them to deploy on any of its own towers.

With all that info, Sprint is currently only deploying devices that support LTE in the PCS range. The speculation is that tri-band devices that support SMR/PCS/BRS LTE will appear around the end of the year. Many people were hoping for dual band LTE devices in Q1/Q2 of this year because of the Nextel shutdown in June, but it looks like Sprint is skipping dual band LTE for tri-band LTE. There is a great list in the FAQ of Sprint devices that support CDMA 1xA in SMR for voice services. Any device in the last year along with a smattering previous of that.

Hope this info helps.

• Like 1

Anyone know when the S4 is coming to Sprint? The last 2 Samsung galaxy variants launched on Sprint first but Preorders aren't available yet. Maybe a mid May or early June launch?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Anyone know when the S4 is coming to Sprint? The last 2 Samsung galaxy variants launched on Sprint first but Preorders aren't available yet. Maybe a mid May or early June launch?

It seems like Sprint will get it last.. BS!! lol

It's possible a May release but with Verizons coming May 30th with Sprints no where in sight, a June release is likely.

Att is shipping out April 30th. Source is there website!

I wouldn't mind them getting it working without TouchWiz! :D

Sent from Tapatalk App

Share the wealth.. To help pay for the people getting them for $150 that port from another carrier.

I showed a friend this deal and he got excited to switch until he saw the no coverage in his city. 5 lines of new service out the door again... Sigh...

Sent from my little Note2

I bought my brand new S3 for that price two weeks ago no contract. I'll be happy with this until the S5 or Note 4 come out or whichever comes with 800 lte.

Sorry if this is a repeat..but as much as I would like to have an S4, as with Beejis above, I'm going to go S3 for a year or so until Vegas/Henderson really get LTE..I'm expecting the S3's to drop radically in price over the next few months..

I'm not happy that new customers get 150 dollars off and get the upgrade fee waived! That is a huge slap in the face.

Agreed. They're making up for the new customer pricing by making the existing customers pay more.

I'll just buy through a third party anyways.